Live Announcement of 2010 Nationals Site | Golden Skate

Live Announcement of 2010 Nationals Site

efreedman

On the Ice
USFSA will be announcing the site live at 2 PM. Please note that Spokane's KHQ will be broadcasting it, which sort of indicates that Spokane is the winning bidder.

Click on www.khq.com to listen in.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I wouldn't mind going back to Spokane or Portland, OR, but am hoping for Providence, Rhode Island. San Jose, CA is the 4th bid city finalist.

efreedman

On the Ice
Preferring Providence

I wouldn't mind going back to Spokane or Portland, OR, but am hoping for Providence, Rhode Island. San Jose, CA is the 4th bid city finalist.

So would I, but do you think they would broadcast the announcement live on a Spokane radio station, if they don't already know that they have it?

That's 2:00 Pacific coast time, right?

Yeah, Spokane must have it. I can't see KHQ (the "Voice of the Inland Empire" :rock: ) coming on with, hold your hat, everybody, here's the big super news flash we've all been waitiing for! 2010 Nationals will be held in Rhode Island!!!!!

If Spokane does get it, I bet one of the factors was the success that Spokane has had in the past in filling the seats with local fans and supporters. Since fewer people will be traveling for the two-weekend show, local promotion will be crucial.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
And all those people who came out to see a 'once in a lifetime event' back in 2007 are going to be expected to shell out even more money to see Nats again? I don't think that's going to happen this time but I'd love to be wrong for the skaters sake. And I know I'm not the only midwestern person who would be really disappointed for US Nats to be on the west coast again when the last time the east coast had it was all the way back in 2001 when they were in Boston. :cry:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So the East Coast goes begging once again. Too bad---I can't afford to spend 10 days in Spokane, plus air fare.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
And all those people who came out to see a 'once in a lifetime event' back in 2007 are going to be expected to shell out even more money to see Nats again? I don't think that's going to happen this time but I'd love to be wrong for the skaters sake. And I know I'm not the only midwestern person who would be really disappointed for US Nats to be on the west coast again when the last time the east coast had it was all the way back in 2001 when they were in Boston. :cry:

heck west coasters aren't going to want to go with the new two weekend deal... oh well, wasn't planning on going anyway :p

lmarie086

Medalist
Would have loved for it to be in Providence; I've never been to a competition before and it would've been exciting to see the Nationals before the Olympics live.

OK, I officially hate KHQ's web site. It's after 2:00, there is no announcement up, only an old story about Spokane being a finalist, their streaming video doesn't work and messes up my computer, and I keep having to zap all those stupid pop-up ads about buying a truck.

I used to like KHQ, back when my favorite cowboy singer, the late, great Cliff Carl, had his TV show. :rock: Oh, well.

Last edited:
Too bad. I would have preferred Providence or Warwick, not to mention Newport Beach where I could look at the mansions along the sea. I think I will sit out Spokane for two weekends and watch it on IceNetwork (hope they show it all). The money I save could go for a side trip from LA to: Maui or Palau or Christchurch. Who knows?

Joe

Nigel

On the Ice
I would hazard a guess, but USFS is looking on building upon the already heightened interest for the Vancouver 2010 site. Hard to be dismissive of their physical proximity to Vancouver. They would probably have the best chance of sell out crowds because of that. And, that is what USFS and NBC would both like....a large viewing audience in the arena. And, they did a pretty good job in 2007. Lots of comments from St Paul were..."is there going to be another fan fest?" IMHO, I think the LOC in Spokane will reach way beyond what they did in 2007 and deliver!

lmarie086

Medalist
Wasn't it just in Spokane? There are so many cities in the US... and since when has Washington been a skating mecca?

Spokane hosted the Nationals in 2007. I know...there are sooo many cities in the US. I realize what a great job Spokane did in '07-truly spectacular I'll admit-but other cities should be given a chance to do so as well. And I think Providence really wanted it, so...ugh I could have stayed with friends for at least one of those weekends.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm really not surprised by this decision. With NBC-TV wanting the two-weekend thing, USFS almost had no other real practical choice if they wanted to fill the stadium. Anyway, I think this is what the city wants- to be the host of the US Olympic trials, as well as receiving some of the excitement spilling over from next door. But here's something to think about: it says in the article that NBC will provide "more than 10 hours" of "live" coverage of this event. In 2007 the only part of the event that was aired on local TV (read: not ESPN) was the ladies' free skate Saturday afternoon. There also was no Ice Network around. So there was that extra desire, possibly, to go and see it unfold for yourself. Now, in other words, how many of those folks who joined the local parade in 07 will prefer to stay home and watch this one unfold on their local NBC station? Just something to think about.

Then again, NBC didn't do LIVE for the West Coast for 2008 Nats (and IIRC, neither did ABC when they did Nats in Prime Time). But glad to see them attempting to give skating a shot in the arm with the extended coverage, even if it means doing the 2-weekend split.

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Well, there's more vacation time I'll have to spend in 2010 so now I just need to figure out what I want to do that year. I hate missing US Nats and I really hate missing it in the Olympic year. I can't go to the west coast for yet another US Nats (I went to Portland but it was such a long trip that I couldn't do it again in 2007. I missed Spokane two years later because of the distance) so I guess I need to research something else fun to do that year. Maybe Canadians will be closer to the east coast and I can make my first trip to Canada for their national championships. It won't be quite the same though. *sigh* :cry:

sillylionlove

Medalist
Ok....so the west coast gets another event. I sure hope that in 2009 Skate America is somewhere East of the Mississippi river. I would really like to be able to afford to go to one event before the 2010 Olympics....2008 Skate America in Washington, 2009 Worlds in LA., 2010 Nationals in Washington...ok so the 2009 Nationals are in Cleveland....big deal. I am not a happy camper!!

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Ok....so the west coast gets another event. I sure hope that in 2009 Skate America is somewhere East of the Mississippi river. I would really like to be able to afford to go to one event before the 2010 Olympics....2008 Skate America in Washington, 2009 Worlds in LA., 2010 Nationals in Washington...ok so the 2009 Nationals are in Cleveland....big deal. I am not a happy camper!!

I know how you feel. It seems like everything is either way way up north or way way out west. I was hoping Detroit was in the running and had a shot. Right now I'm looking at going to 2009 Adult Nats in Grand Rapids instead.

eliza88

On the Ice
I live in Seattle, tucked away in the Great Pacific Northwest...we are often overlooked and ignored be it skating, football, baseball, etc. Perhaps recently there have been more skating events in my geographical location, but overall we barely get the nod! AND, even if we have a major skating event here we STILL get it on tape delay so you guys East of us can watch it at the right time live!!! ARGH!!! That said, I was surprised that Spokane got it again so soon...but they did such a phenomenal job with it the last time!! The skaters all raved about the event, the seats were filled...hopefully that can happen twice. I did not attend the event in Spokane but did go to the 2001 Worlds in Vancouver, 2005 Nats in Portland, and am going to Skate America 2008 in Everett...perhaps 2010 Spokane is in my future!!!

eliza88

Eliz - You will enjoy Spokane. They have a botanical garden second to none, and you'll have it in early Spring where I had it in mid Winter. great spiffy neighborhoods too. Hope the skating comes up to par.

Joe