Takahashi splits with Morozov | Golden Skate

Takahashi splits with Morozov

icebear

Spectator
Takahashi Daisuke held a conference and announced he split up with Morozov.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/news/20080506-OYT1T00484.htm

Edited to include translation by champs.

Takahashi Split with Morozov

Figure skater Daisuke Takahashi, also a grad student at Kansai University, attended a press conference held at Shin-Yokohama Skating Center on May 6th, announcing that he would leave Mr. Nicolai Morozov.

After the World Championships in March where he finished 4th Takahashi heard Morozov would be coaching Nobunari Oda, also a Kansai Univ student, starting from the next season. A week ago Takahashi decided and told Morozov(*1) that he would not be able to work together with Morozov any more. Asked why he made this decision, he explained that Oda is one of his chief rivals and thus he would not feel comfortable sharing the same coach. Since Morozov has also been his choreographer, he will be searching for a new choreographer as he continues to train at the university rink.

Note *1: The original article doesn't explicitly say to whom he told, so I assumed it was Morozov (rather than indirectly informing Morozov by telling another party such as JSF)

Last edited:
From the title I presume Japanese skaters training abroad are going back home.

I'm surprised about Dai. He seemed to find his niche with Morozov.

Joe

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I thought Morozov did a good job in maximizing Takahashi's points under CoP, but couldn't help feeling that some of Dai's own style and personality were getting a bit lost in the process. I'll be very interested to see what kind of programs he'll be doing with his new coach (assuming the report is correct -and I second the request for translation) :).

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Best news I have heard today. Thanks for the translation.

icebear

Spectator
champs, Thank you for the translation.
Sorry Joe, I was upset by this news :frown:so I forgot the translation.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I am really not surprised by this news. Daisuke is one of my favorite male skaters. I sure hope that this is a good move for him....I think it will be. Good luck Daisuke!!

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Oh dear, I was kind of expecting this news once news came out that Oda would be coached by Morozov.

I hope this move will benefit Takahashi.. Are there any articles mentioning who will be coaching him next?

jennylovskt

Medalist
Thank you very much for the news and translation!

I have mixed feelings on this one. No doubt Takahashi was very disappointed for his result at the Worlds. Even if he doesn't blame it on Morozov at all, the acceptance of Oda, one of his closest and chief rivalries, to train under the same coach as his is a big enough reason for him to change coaches. However, his leaving is like to make his rivalry more comfortable and to give his rivalry a better training environment - because I think Morozov is good for Takahashi's future. Is his move good for himself?

I feel that Morozov is an ambitious man. His ambition might take him to somewhere as a coach.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I don't understand why Morozov accepted Oda as a student when he already had Takahashi. He had to know it would upset Takahashi greatly. I guess he was willing to risk losing Takahashi over it, although I don't know why he'd want to take that chance.

I'm not sure what this will mean for Takahashi. The fact is, he had much more success under Morosov than he had had under previous coaches. Hopefully he's internalized whatever Morosov taught him about competing and can keep that going with a new coach. As to his choreography, Takahashi is such a talented skater that I think any top-level choreographer will be able to show him off just as well as Morozov (and maybe with more originality).

inskate

On the Ice
That's sad news for me. I think Morozov was great for Dai, not only for the quality of his skating, but also for his mental strenght.

But of course Daiis a great skater, so I hope that he will not forget what he learned with Morosov and continue to skate great, no matter with what coach.

I can't help but think that this is also very bad for Nobu. Again he made a decision with a view to satisfy others, but it has a potential to blow in his face again. Now I have a feeling that no matter what happens he will be blamed for something (either taking away the coach from Dai and causing him to perform worse, or if Dai continues to skate well, for taking away the coach who could make him even better)... This is even worse because they will compete against each other... So of course everyone wants to win, but I'm afraid that Nobu might feel guilty and feel under pressure and not skate well... And again be blamed for wasting his coach's efforts, sort of...

I'm sorry for my English, but I'm distressed by the news...

inskate

On the Ice
I don't understand why Morozov accepted Oda as a student when he already had Takahashi. He had to know it would upset Takahashi greatly. I guess he was willing to risk losing Takahashi over it, although I don't know why he'd want to take that chance.

Morozov actually did not "accept" Nobu, he was the one to suggest that they should work together.
But I wonder as well why he or JSF didn't discuss this matter with Dai's managers...

(...) (and maybe with more originality).

I don't think there can be done much as original stuff as hip-hop Swan Lake! But I would like if Dai worked with Kenji Miyamoto, he did great (and very original) Gala programs for both Dai and Nobu.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
wow, Im kinda shocked and saddened at the news. I wish Daisuke much luck in his coaching change. I had hoped to see new wonderful Morozov programs for Nobu & Daisuke. I hope the change doesnt affect Nobunari's mental state in competitions. I am just sooo thrilled that he is back competing:rock::clap: We shall see how the change goes....

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I don't think there can be done much as original stuff as hip-hop Swan Lake! But I would like if Dai worked with Kenji Miyamoto, he did great (and very original) Gala programs for both Dai and Nobu.
I disagree. Though hip-hop specifically may have been new to skating (was it?), re-interpreted classical pieces are hardly groundbreaking, in skating and in popular music.

In addition - and I know I'm in the minority - I didn't like the program. I read somewhere that it took Morozov some time to talk Dai into the concept, and I don't think it showed off his abilities to best effect. To me it had Morozov's stamp on it much more than Takahashi's - and at that level, I want to see the program reflect the skater more than the choreographer. I realize this is subjective, but I feel other skaters have done better in this respect. I would love to see Dai work with someone else and showcase his abilities and personality in a better way (not just CoP better :)).

I'm not familiar with Miyamoto's work, could you post links?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Very interesting. I wonder if this has anything to do with Morozov taking on Oda as a student. Perhaps these two are not the best of friends as we believed? Or maybe he just was not happy with his performance at worlds and feels (like tanith and ben) that a change is due? I think this is a good move for him. I think he is a very talented skater but I agree that his LP this past year wasn't really "him".

inskate

On the Ice
I disagree. Though hip-hop specifically may have been new to skating (was it?), re-interpreted classical pieces are hardly groundbreaking, in skating and in popular music.

I think SL was more than just a re-interpretation. It's one thing to just use a modernized version of music, and it's another thing to make it truly stand out and fit the skater perfectly. I think it would be possible to make Carmen original, if the coach and the skater had the ideas and skills to pull it off...

Kenji Miyamoto choreographed Dai's Bachelorette EX this season, I think it's great!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vnv6koSwoDM

Nobu's EX:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m8_kwgakukQ
(he was skating in new boots, so his jumps weren't that good, but it was still great... Perhaps the first time when Nobu didn't have to rely on jumps in order for the program to shine.)

Yukari Nakano's EX:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eDx9mNQUy1s
(Horrible camerawork, I wish I could find on YT her performance from Dreams on Ice... but it seems to be taken down.)

I hope watching those videos on YT doesn't spoil the watching experience too much... I have them all in HQ, so now when I searched for them on YT I was annoyed by the poor sound and image quality that doesn't let us appreciate facial expression and subtle nuances...

What I like about these programs is that they are all very different, but still original and bring out the best in the skaters... I particularly love Nobu's program, because it shows what he is truly capable of - his last season's programs (perhaps except for his SP) hid his abilities (showmanship, speed, great spins and fexibility, energy) rather than highlighted them. But all 3 are great.

From what I know, Kenji is a former dance skater. He has not choreographed competetive programs yet... But I think that with a bit of CoP-schooling he could become one of the elite choreographers. I think Japan could really use one - the Japanese skaters wouldn't have to travel so much just to get choreography.

inskate

On the Ice
Very interesting. I wonder if this has anything to do with Morozov taking on Oda as a student. Perhaps these two are not the best of friends as we believed?

They both spoke of their friendship even when they weren't asked, so I don't think why they would lie. Dai was also one of few people to speak well of Nobu when the press chewed him out. He risked his own reputation and I don't think he would risk it if it wasn't for a friend.

When I think about it... it might be even harder to compete against a friend. Normally you just want to do well... But if you care about someone and see them struggle every day to do well it's harder to go 100% against them.

It looks like Dai accepted his manager's advice... Somebody mentioned in the other thread that Dai's manager wasn't happy that Nobu and Dai were to work together, because training with somebody you'll have to face as an opponent later would be too stressful. And in the article posted on FSU it was said that Dai's team (just like Mao's) wants a coach just for him. So I think that he might have considered a coaching change anyway, because Morozov has Miki and Adam... And Adam will also eventually move up to seniors and become one of Dai's rivals.

I hope things will work out both for Dai and for Nobu.

libby

Match Penalty
Morozov seems fixated on associating as many top skaters with his own name as possible, rather than being concerned with nurturing the talents of those he already has.

I remember a response he gave this season when he was asked about Takahashi, Ando and Rippon, and he said "They are successful because they work with ME" - taking all of the credit for himself. It just struck me at the time as very telling.

He must have known that approaching Oda would alienate Takahashi, but the reality is that he will always have Taka on his resume now as one of his students, and he had an opportunity to get another top skater into his stable. Most skating coaches allow skaters to come to them; Morozov is a bit unusual in the way he routinely approaches other coaches' top students about coming to work with him. It certainly works for him - there are more big skating stars in Morozov's stable than any other coach since Tarasova.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I hope watching those videos on YT doesn't spoil the watching experience too much... I have them all in HQ, so now when I searched for them on YT I was annoyed by the poor sound and image quality that doesn't let us appreciate facial expression and subtle nuances...

From what I know, Kenji is a former dance skater. He has not choreographed competetive programs yet... But I think that with a bit of CoP-schooling he could become one of the elite choreographers. I think Japan could really use one - the Japanese skaters wouldn't have to travel so much just to get choreography.
Thanks, inskate! My internet connection is usually at its best in the morning so I'll wait until then to watch. Youtube can never replace watching on tv (or better yet, live) but it's better than nothing.

I think it would be good for Dai to work with someone who doesn't choreograph a lot of programs each season and who doesn't have as much experience - more room for his own input that way, and it won't be as cookie-cutter as some programs (I will not name names :cool:).

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can someone tell me which students of Morozov really made it big (by medaling). The only one and he wasn't really a student of Morozov is Alexei. Other than that I can't think of anyone so I need your help. This may be a good thing for Dai.

Dee