Those With Degrees, Are You Using Them | Golden Skate

Those With Degrees, Are You Using Them

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The post about which College did you attend got my attention because I work for a College and everyday, I scan student credentials in one form or another. I see everything from Certificates to Bachelor of Arts Degrees. I often wonder after all that hard work, is this student using his/her hard earned credential or are they with our poor economy working in a shoe store or Mc Donalds while their Fine Arts Degree hangs on their wall at home. I was impressed by all the degrees here and just wondered what all of you are up to with all that education!

LAD, that's a huge problem. I was lucky to have ended up with a degree (in mathematics) that I could actually put to some kind of use. When I was in college in the 1960s there were so many things that I was interested in that I changed my major practically every year. There were also so many "causes" going on back then that it took me seven years to get through my four years of college, LOL.

Anyway, every semester I would take a bunch of courses in my new major, whether it was history, political science, comparative religions or Asian studies. Then I had to fill up my schedule by taking electives outside my major. So I always signed up for a math class or two, just because they were easy for me -- you don't have to write any term papers, or even go to class much, just show up for a couple of exams. So by the time I finally got ready to graduate, mathematics was the only subject that I had enough credits in for a major.

After that I got a job in the actuarial department of the New York Insurance Rating Board. I hated it so much that I decided to go on to graduate school.

The end. My Life, by Mathman.:laugh:

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Yup and yup. I got a BA degree in studio art, and I currently work in marketing. While I was getting my art degree, I made sure that I got a lot of practical work experience, both in art and outside it. I also took a lot of non-art courses. In my last year of college, I even took a cont ed course so I could learn to type - as an art major, it pays to have as many practical skills as you can! I also knew a lot about computers. So, it's all worked out for me.

In marketing, I use a lot of my creative skills, although I don't do much actual design. Instead, I supervise the work of designers as we develop labels, point of sale materials, ads, etc. I MUCH prefer this. I hated having someone look over my shoulder while I was making art. Now, instead, I get to do the looking!

Lucy25

Final Flight
Yes. I have a BA in English and a secondary teaching certificate. I teach middle school language arts.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
My first degree was in Arts -- Art History major, Fashion Design minor. I am not using that in my work.

When I was in my senior year, I realized I am not going to become an Art Historian (love the subject, but Ivory Tower is not for me -- sorry MathMan). So I started at Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science at BU. Basically, you take the same courses that those who work on their BAs in Computer Science take, except you don't have to take electives, English, History, Science, etc. And that -- yes, I am using it directly at work, since I work as a software engineer.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Great! I am glad everyone is benefiting from their educational pursuits. I wish I had gained more education. Oh well, as long as the College keeps giving me work....

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I wish I could have gone to college. I was a secretary, etc. which is the high school training I received. I was going to go when my oldest daughter started to college and she told me if I ever showed up there she would leave and I would never see her again so I didn't go. She can't even remember it now.

Lee

Rinkside
B.Ed from the U of Calgary (do NOT go there for Ed now -- putrid program) and yes, I'm teaching -- junior high math, science and computers.

Lynn226

On the Ice
Lee,

most teachers here in the USA burn out quickly. A huge percentage burn out in just a few years. How is the situation in Canada? Also, do you have to have a degree in education to teach in secondary schools or is a master's degree in the subject area sufficient? Just wondering . . .

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
When I graduated in the early '80's jobs in So. California for Physical Education teachers were scarce, and I didn't want to move since I had gotten married and my husband had a good job here. I started the teaching credential program but never finished since I had a good job in retail for a department store called Nordstrom. They paid more then a teaching postition would have, so I worked for them until 1990, at which time my second son was born and I became a full time mom. I have since used my education and have worked in the local school district as a PE and Special Ed assistant.

southwest wind

Rinkside
Oh yes...I was in univesrity for 18 years...not the same one:laugh: and have a rich collection of degrees. I loved every minute and still use many of the skills daily. The most valuable ones were the most portable...how to critically think, collect data, analyse a problem, how to organize and write. I used calculus and thermodynamics the least. (sorry Mathman) Stats always comes in handy. After a phd in a science, I am embarking on a masters in marketing communication at 46!
sww

Antilles

Medalist
Lynn,

I can probably answer some of your questions. Each province may be slightly different, but in Canada you need an undergrad degree (BA, BSC) which takes 3-4 years, then you need to get a Bachelor of Education (one year). Teaching is actually a good job here in Canada. It pays well enough, and has the best benefits package. It also has the best pension plan around. There are quite a few problems between schools, school boards and provincial governments, more so in the last ten years.

To answer the original question, I have a BA in Psychology. I worked in group homes and a soup kitchen, but now I work for a large financial institution, and will be working on my stock broker license in the near future. Not exactly related to pysch.

Lee

Rinkside
Yes, there are a great number of teachers burning out rather quickly at all levels, for a variety of reasons.

I have a 4-year B.Ed. degree and majored in Secondary Social Studies. However, once one has a teaching certificate in Alberta, one can be hired to teach anything, and I am...about as far from my major as I could be. However, I've discovered I'm good at teaching junior high math and the computer stuff is something that I grew into (mucho volunteer time on skating club stuff over a long period of time), so I guess old dogs *can* learn new tricks (which I'll be doing this next year with the science curriculum).

However, I wouldn't dream of trying to teach high school (grades 10 - 12) math or science -- not a hope!

I'm still in this profession because I haven't had a chance to burn out yet. I subbed while my kids were young, which gave me the flexibility to attend school functions with the kids and shepherd my daughter around to test days and competitions. I've been in my current position for 4 years, the first 3 of those half-time. I'm also in a small rural school and the atmosphere tends to be more supportive for everyone in the building, staff *and* students.

I still feel good teachers are born, not made, although there are a few of those 'born' ones who need a little coaxing to bring them into their own. A string of high personal marks is no guarantee of a good teacher, just as a World Championship is no guarantee of a good skating coach.

skatepixie

On the Ice
Im debating weither I want/need an actual degree. I want to coach FS. Perhaps, it would be better for me to just take classes in what I need for my job and can actually use (ie sports phyc, nutrition, motion physics, russian) instead of choosing a major and taking classes I definatly dont need just because you need them for the basics for a BA.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Education

No, not at all. I used my music degrees when I taught voice. The pay was dreadful, even on the college level (I taught privately and was also an adjunct prof. and paid hourly). My first BA was in Theater and English, which I am not using at all, at least not directly.

The real estate salespersons requirements in CA are a joke, but your training really comes on the job. Most people think it's easy money and quit when they realize how much work (and expense--since you're always an independent contractor even when you work for a large, well-known company) are involved. If you had told me a few years ago that this would be my career, I would have LAUGHED in your face! I made a very sudden decision three years ago to change careers because I wanted more flexibility in my work schedule so I could spend afternoons with my daughter, who was then entering first grade, and have never regretted it.

I am grateful and glad for all the years of education I've been fortunate to acquire. There are skills I learned through the years that have no doubt helped me in what I do today, albeit not in any direct form I could describe in detail. Critical thinking, writing skills, etc.--it's all part of the package I am today.

I will say that I was a lot happier in college when I returned at 29 for my music degrees than I had ever been at 18-22 for my first degree. I was much more focussed and centered. I knew what I wanted to accomplish.

Last edited:

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Well, I"m sitting here with this great honours history degree, among the top of the class. And yup, can't find a stinking job. Oh, I forget, my mother, who is a manager of a dollar store, gives me about 5 hours a week. At minimum wage, this is just enough money to feed my cat. Yup, life is great for an educated bum like me.
But I'm not bitter!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I have a degree in English Literature and an elementary teaching certificate.............42

sk8er1964

On the Ice
skatepixie said:
Im debating weither I want/need an actual degree. I want to coach FS. Perhaps, it would be better for me to just take classes in what I need for my job and can actually use (ie sports phyc, nutrition, motion physics, russian) instead of choosing a major and taking classes I definatly dont need just because you need them for the basics for a BA.

Even if you know you want to coach, a college degree can't hurt!

I am working in my field (although it did take me 14 years and three changes of majors to get here). My bachelor's is in political science, my masters in public administration, and I work in government.

BTW, I saw a salary increase of $12,000 per year when I got my masters and changed jobs.

bleuchick

On the Ice
I am

re: education - one of my sister is a high school teacher. She teaches Finite Math, Algebra and Economics. She told me that on average, most teachers in Ontario have at least two post graduate degrees. It is becoming the norm today. She has two masters degrees, yet the school board keeps telling her to take more summer courses to keep up!.:rolleye:

Like my sister, I have two degrees one in biology and another in economics. I use one in my current job but always try to finds ways to incorporate the other in my day to day life or even at work.

I strongly believe an education is worthwhile even if it does not lead one to a job. So for those of you not using your degrees, don't despair. The right job will eventually come. Just keep at it(education) until you get your dream job.