Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The card I got in the mail (photo)

Hybrid View

The card I got in the mail (photo)

(... as many of you did, but if someone didn't and would like to see it, I've scanned it)

What a nice surprise. :D Three of my favorite skaters are in the photo:
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/windspiri.../campbells.jpg

Btw, it looks like foreign skaters do have some marketability in the States, after all.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the photo!

BTW, who are your three favorite skaters?

Originally posted by dewet
    BTW, who are your three favorite skaters?
    Yagudin, Plushenko and Cohen.

Anne Patrice and Ryun Jahnke. Are there anyone else?

Joe

Michelle Kwan Fan
    That photo is awesome! I'm so psyched about this competition even before it happens. It should be great!! :D

Always Dream
    thats a great picture of the skaters and I can't wait for cambells!!

Custom Title
    the picture is great especially plushy in the middle the gold position.

Passion Lives Here
    I got mine, I am really excited to see this event. It will be a great preview to this year, and also finally end the off season!!!

Thanks for the picture, Windspirit. Interesting that they seem to be promoting the men's competiton ahead of the ladies'. Also that they seem to think that the big rivalry now is between Michelle and Sasha, instead of Michelle and Irina (or maybe just that Michelle and Sasha are the two female skaters that have the most enthusiastic following in the U.S.)

Yes, I agree that Yagudin and Plushenko have skated their way into huge popularity the U.S., probably more so than the American champion, Goebel. I would like to be a fly on the wall to evesdrop on the advertisers' meetings where it is discussed how best to promote these affairs.

Mathman

Custom Title
    probably because Yags and Plush haven't competed for a while. There's definitely alot of excitement about these two competiting together. I don't know if Yags is ready for this comp after his hip surgery.

is it just me or is Tim's hand placed in a very weird spot on that graphic?

Originally posted by Tonichelle
    is it just me or is Tim's hand placed in a very weird spot on that graphic?
    Which one? I just realized that both his hands are in weird spots...

Mathman, at first I wasn't surprised when I saw the card (after all, they sent it to me, they surely must know which skaters I like, lol). But after a few minutes it got me thinking. I'd like to know what they had in mind when they decided to do it like that, too. Whatever the reason, it was really nice. Especially as it comes to Plush, because I felt he was kind of unappreciated and not really popular in the States in the past. He certainly deserve his spot in the spotlight.

Yagudin has a more outgoing personality than either Plushenko or Goebel. He also seems to be more at ease speaking English than either of them. In addition, his skating style is very pleasing to the audience. And he has had the most exposure to North America fans, going back to the 1998-99 season where it seemed like he was on TV every week in some kind of pro-am contest. Plus, he's got that "bad boy" thing working for him that ladies like. So it is no surprise that Alexei is the most popular men's skater in the U.S., as well as world wide.

But Evgenny is catching up. He has a dramatic flair that attracts every eye. He has shown his whimsical side in his exhibition programs. Another world championship or two and he will definitely be the biggest draw in the sport, on the men's side.

In this competition, to tell the truth I don't see how it is remotely possible for Alexei to be up to full strength, no matter how determined he is. I wouldn't be surprised if he withdrew. In fact, I kind of hope he does. I would rather have him take the whole year off, if necessary, than to rush back into competition too soon and risk further injury.
    ...after all, they sent it to me, they surely must know which skaters I like, lol
    But seriously, there might be something to that. The card was sent to people who are already known to be figure skating fans. (Hey -- why didn't I get one?) So presumably these are knowledgeable people who recognise that the big drama is in the Yags-Plushy matchup. I'll bet that when they advertise on TV for a more general audience they will show a lot of Sasha spinning and Michelle spiraling (both showing a lot of panty, LOL.)

Mathman

Custom Title
    What's amazing is that Evgeny is very popular and still lives in his country. He is a big draw if not the biggest right now in eligible skating. The guy has so much personality in his skating,just great to watch. Theres no doubt he has the potential to win more world titles and plenty of time.:D

Yep It's me!
    windspirit,

How did they get your name?
    Are you on a mailing list for MSG, or a USFS member, or had bought tickets to the event before, or another reason?
    I'm on a amiling list for the Corel Centre in Ottawa and get everything from Senator's offers to CSOI to some obscure (to me) country singer. :\

Just wondering
    Last edited by Norlite; 08-25-2003 at 03:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast