The card I got in the mail (photo) | Golden Skate

The card I got in the mail (photo)

TaraFanatic4eva

Rinkside
I got mine, I am really excited to see this event. It will be a great preview to this year, and also finally end the off season!!!

Thanks for the picture, Windspirit. Interesting that they seem to be promoting the men's competiton ahead of the ladies'. Also that they seem to think that the big rivalry now is between Michelle and Sasha, instead of Michelle and Irina (or maybe just that Michelle and Sasha are the two female skaters that have the most enthusiastic following in the U.S.)

Yes, I agree that Yagudin and Plushenko have skated their way into huge popularity the U.S., probably more so than the American champion, Goebel. I would like to be a fly on the wall to evesdrop on the advertisers' meetings where it is discussed how best to promote these affairs.

Mathman

curious

Final Flight
probably because Yags and Plush haven't competed for a while. There's definitely alot of excitement about these two competiting together. I don't know if Yags is ready for this comp after his hip surgery.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
is it just me or is Tim's hand placed in a very weird spot on that graphic?

windspirit

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
is it just me or is Tim's hand placed in a very weird spot on that graphic?
Which one? :laugh: I just realized that both his hands are in weird spots...

Mathman, at first I wasn't surprised when I saw the card (after all, they sent it to me, they surely must know which skaters I like, lol). But after a few minutes it got me thinking. I'd like to know what they had in mind when they decided to do it like that, too. Whatever the reason, it was really nice. Especially as it comes to Plush, because I felt he was kind of unappreciated and not really popular in the States in the past. He certainly deserve his spot in the spotlight.

Yagudin has a more outgoing personality than either Plushenko or Goebel. He also seems to be more at ease speaking English than either of them. :laugh: In addition, his skating style is very pleasing to the audience. And he has had the most exposure to North America fans, going back to the 1998-99 season where it seemed like he was on TV every week in some kind of pro-am contest. Plus, he's got that "bad boy" thing working for him that ladies like.;) So it is no surprise that Alexei is the most popular men's skater in the U.S., as well as world wide.

But Evgenny is catching up. He has a dramatic flair that attracts every eye. He has shown his whimsical side in his exhibition programs. Another world championship or two and he will definitely be the biggest draw in the sport, on the men's side.

In this competition, to tell the truth I don't see how it is remotely possible for Alexei to be up to full strength, no matter how determined he is. I wouldn't be surprised if he withdrew. In fact, I kind of hope he does. I would rather have him take the whole year off, if necessary, than to rush back into competition too soon and risk further injury.
...after all, they sent it to me, they surely must know which skaters I like, lol
:laugh: But seriously, there might be something to that. The card was sent to people who are already known to be figure skating fans. (Hey -- why didn't I get one?) So presumably these are knowledgeable people who recognise that the big drama is in the Yags-Plushy matchup. I'll bet that when they advertise on TV for a more general audience they will show a lot of Sasha spinning and Michelle spiraling (both showing a lot of panty, LOL.)

Mathman

curious

Final Flight
What's amazing is that Evgeny is very popular and still lives in his country. He is a big draw if not the biggest right now in eligible skating. The guy has so much personality in his skating,just great to watch. Theres no doubt he has the potential to win more world titles and plenty of time.:D

Norlite

On the Ice
windspirit,

How did they get your name?
Are you on a mailing list for MSG, or a USFS member, or had bought tickets to the event before, or another reason?
I'm on a amiling list for the Corel Centre in Ottawa and get everything from Senator's offers to CSOI to some obscure (to me) country singer. :\

Just wondering :)

Last edited:

windspirit

On the Ice
Mathman said:
In this competition, to tell the truth I don't see how it is remotely possible for Alexei to be up to full strength, no matter how determined he is. I wouldn't be surprised if he withdrew.
It's hard for me to make any predictions; I still remember last year's splatfest at Campbell's... which was really strange. I don't know if Alexei can be at his best at all the competitions he signed up for. I think he may put everything into his performances at Campbell's (despite the fact it's not that serious an event), knowing that 1. it's his first competition since he withdrew from SA last year, 2. it's his only chance with Plushenko this year. If he wins that, it can help him do better at the GP events. You know, it'd set up the mood; remind everyone that he's still the force to be reckon with (the good old intimidation tactic ;) ), and boost his spirits for later. It'll be interesting to see what Evgeni does. He could "let this one go" and save his energy for serious competitions, but somehow I don't think that the possibility of dethroning (even if symbolic) the previous champ (not to mention his biggest rival for years) is something he's going to let pass him by. (lol, that sentence probably doesn't make much sense, but I hope it's clear enough what I wanted to say).

So, I think there's a big possibility of a real figth between those two at Campbell's. Let's just hope they're both healthy. And I don't want to see any more injuries this season! :mad: (I can't say it often enough)

windspirit

On the Ice
Norlite, my guess is they got my address from Ticketmaster (I used it once to buy tickets to COI). I remember that I agreed to receive advertisements from the venue (and I did once or twice, one for Pavarotti), but of course I don't mind Ticketmaster sending me advertisements for skating events. :D (I may have agreed to that, too, I don't remember). Other than that only one rink has my address; I really watch whom I'm giving it to (I hate junk mail, bleh).

Btw, Mathman, you didn't get your card because they knew you wanted one with Michelle in the middle and they were out of those very quickly. ;) But seriously, I think you didn't get the card because you live too far.

J

jn'sinhawaii

I think that the ladies will be the most interesting.

Michelle: It is true that she is never at her best at this time of year...but then again Michelle's worst isn't that bad. She just won't have the 6.0 oomph of Nationals and Worlds...but she'll probably be clean and if she's clean she'll obviously win.

Sasha: I have lost all faith in her. She has had so many chances to do well and she always blows them. Why can't she put together a clean performance? I think it was a mistake switching from John Nicks...there are a few quirks Tatiana Tarasova has added that I don't like.

Elena and Irina: I have to say, I absolutley them. Their skating is miserable. The Russian women's style is so sloppy and unattractive-they really doesn't hit one nice position. The jumps are sloppy too although they are huge and they can reel of triple-triples when they're on.

AP: This could be interesting. AP has been skating very well latley, and she came of a great season. The judges didn't give her anything this year, but if she has another good season I think they'll start to give her the high placements she deserves. She is a great all around skater and could do very well. She needs to project more to the audience.

Fumie: She was so inconsistent last year...who knows what will happen? Her jumps are just perfect and she is so fast. If she puts together a clean performance...she'll probably deserve first over Michelle who will probably be a little boring and double her triple loop like she has gotten into the habit of doing...but they won't give it to her.

My Predictions:

1. Michelle Kwan
2. Fumie Suguri or Ann Patrice McDonough
3. Fumie Suguri or Ann Patrice McDonough
4. Sasha Cohen
5. Irina Slutskaya
6. Elena Sokolova 5 and 6 are probably interchangable too