Best Olympic Gold Dance Performance | Golden Skate

Best Olympic Gold Dance Performance

Best Olympic Gold Dance Performance

• 1984 - Torvill & Dean. "Bolero"

Votes: 45 73.8%
  • 1988 - Bestemianova & Bukin. (don't know the title...)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1992 - Klimova & Ponomarenko. "Air"

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • 1994 - Grishuk & Platov. "Rock Around the Clock"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1998 - Grishuk & Platov. "Memorial Requiem"

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • 2002 - Anissina & Peizerat. "Liberta"

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • other (i.e. 1976 or 1980)

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

icenut84

Final Flight
Well, we're doing this with most of the events/medals, so I'll just carry it on! My vote goes to Torvill & Dean, Bolero in 1984. Three 6.0s for technical merit and all nine 6.0s for artistic impression. Most famous skating routine ever. Amazing :)

mpal2

Final Flight
1994 - Grishuk & Platov. "Rock Around the Clock" :laugh:

I think I just pml

It has got to be Bolero from the great Torvil and Dean. :love:

Antilles

Medalist
I loved K&Ps program. It kind of hurt to vote against A&P, as thye are my favourite skaters, but I just couldn't get into Liberta.

jozmen01

Rinkside
Almost 20 years later, and most of us still remember the magic on the ice that night - Bolero, I think, is definitely the best.

Z

Zours

Boléro is the worst program I ever seen!!!
Really, I liked very much the L/K's olympic perfomance ( but the Hungarians were better: S/R) and the P/K's ... T/D are really nothing compare to them.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I voted for "Other" because I thought Torville and Dean's 1994 performance was brilliant, inspired, and totally deserving of the Gold that night.........42

Antilles

Medalist
I agree that Bolero is overrated. Innovative with great lifts and spirals, yes. Footwork? What footowork? They did the same thing that so many teams now get criticized for, only they were given a string of 6.0s. I'm a little confused. I think T&D are great skaters, I just couldn't get into Bolero.

lil lion 816

Rinkside
Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean's "Bolero". It's the thing I remember most clearly from the Sarejevo Olympics, and I can give them the credit for getting me interested in figure skating itself. :love:

patsue47

Rinkside
No contest--Bolero. Unlike so many ice dancers Torvill and Dean just skate! No dramatics or posing on the ice. They are and always will be the best of the best.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Antilles said:
I agree that Bolero is overrated. Innovative with great lifts and spirals, yes. Footwork? What footowork? They did the same thing that so many teams now get criticized for, only they were given a string of 6.0s. I'm a little confused. I think T&D are great skaters, I just couldn't get into Bolero.

I agree. I mean I think Bolero has great moments, but it seems like there isn't any footwork.

icenut84

Final Flight
"Footwork" wasn't the focus of Bolero. Many people believe that to have high difficulty you have to ram in as many steps as possible, done as quickly as possible. This is the norm nowadays, but Bolero had a lot of subtleties and elements that were a lot more difficult than they were made to look. The steps and moves that they did do were difficult, the lifts were difficult, the choreography was intricate and complete - everything flowed into everything else. The overall complexity of the programme was illustrated by the marks - they got straight sixes for artistic impression, but they also got sixes for technical merit (3 at the Olympics and 4 at Worlds) and 5.9s from all the other judges (for tech).