Sasha Cohen quote in IFS | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen quote in IFS

Registered, am I out of the loop here?
Enjoy viewing the snapshots of a not so good "above the ankles" skater, with weak and not secure edges. -- "Registered"
I thought you were trying to bash Sasha. In the first set of pictures that you posted I thought that you were calling attention to how Sasha's hands seem to be curled unattractively unto a claw, as opposed to the "all fingers nicely separated, each on a different level" ideal.

In the second set, I have to say that I have seen many absolutely stunning pictures of Sasha. But I don't think many people would find her arms and hands beautifully positioned, for instance, in this shot from your list. (Is she hanging her hands out to dry? Would it help if her pinky were properly pointed?)

http://www.starsstripesandskates.org/gallery/cohen/cohen-tc4.jpg

About edges, to me it is hard to make a judgment about that from still pictures. In that pic it looks like she is on the flat, but I suppose that this is just the camera angle.

Anyway, GO SASHA! I look forward to seeing her in Skate America.

Mathman

skatepixie

On the Ice
I think sasha is fine. hes getting more consistant. And calling Miki ando artistic because she uses unorigional Nichol artistry? Please....

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

About edges, to me it is hard to make a judgment about that from still pictures. In that pic it looks like she is on the flat, but I suppose that this is just the camera angle.

Mathman

Yes. It is hard to judge the edges in still picture. If you pay really attention on her jump landing instead of her body position in the air you'll find her landing edges usually wobbolly, she always has to adjust to BOE.

And I agree some poster said here Sasha is not the worst ankle down in elite, IMO, the edge in her stroking (not jump landing) is better than Onda (Japan) and Elena S. (Rusian). She is not the best ankle up, IIRC, some posters here also mentioned her repeating hand movement something like fist pull into the waist, open palm through out, fist pull in, palm through out, ..... Just watch her 2003's SP and LP you'll know what Im talking about.

skatepixie

On the Ice
you want cerna things to recur though out a program. I think sasha is truly the most versitile skater today. Think Carmen, R&J, HH, mal. They are also so diffrent and she expessses them all prefectly. I think last years programs were a bit rushed in putting them together, however, and that this years should be a lot better. I have seen sasha have a VERY deep edge.

rtureck

Final Flight
skatepixie said:
And calling Miki ando artistic

Pixie, art is totally subjective, so here we go again, I think Ando is and you don't, we can go round and round. But records are objective, and Ando is the first woman to land a quad jump in competition, and she is listed as one of the 25 most influential people in skating. She is a 2X junior world medalists by the age of 15, not exactly Tara Lipinski, but her achivement at 15 is better than many other skaters at 15.

Well Sasha is OK, given her fingers are a bit on the short and thick side. She does not have the longest or most slender fingers for sure, she makes good use of what nature has given her.

Now onto the stylized balletic arms of Ota.......

According to Shine:

I totally agree, I hope she places on the Japanese national podium and compete at worlds 04

Last edited:

registered

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Registered, am I out of the loop here?I thought you were trying to bash Sasha. In the first set of pictures that you posted I thought that you were calling attention to how Sasha's hands seem to be curled unattractively unto a claw, as opposed to the "all fingers nicely separated, each on a different level" ideal.

In the second set, I have to say that I have seen many absolutely stunning pictures of Sasha. But I don't think many people would find her arms and hands beautifully positioned, for instance, in this shot from your list. (Is she hanging her hands out to dry? Would it help if her pinky were properly pointed?)

http://www.starsstripesandskates.org/gallery/cohen/cohen-tc4.jpg

Anyway, GO SASHA! I look forward to seeing her in Skate America.

Mathman

In the first set of pictures I've posted, what I believe, displays Sasha's wonderful edges: her spread eagle, Ina Bauer, spirals, some spins.

"Hand fetish" posts appeared later (and you can view some very attractive arms positions in the second set of pictures).

No one ever skates with "all fingers nicely separated" at all times, a fact I think you'll discover, after following skating for a while (it's simply impossible, while performing many elements, not to mention, would look kind of silly.)

It is hard to make a judgment, on who's edges are deeper, unless skaters, who are being compared are photographed, while performing the element at the same time, from the SAME angle. But we see such comparisons done all the time.

I'm as well looking forward to seeing Sasha at Skate America. It is absolutely essential, that she'll land all her jumps in competition. But again, it has nothing to do with her edges, that are absolutely fine.

registered

On the Ice
rtureck said:
Nos Pixie, art is totally subjective, so here we go again, I think Ando is and you don't, we can go round and round. But records ar objective, and Ando is the first woman to land a quad jump in competition, and she is listed as one of the 25 most influential people in skating. She is a 2X junior world medalists by the age of 15, not exactly Tara Lipinski, but her achivement at 15 is better than many 15 y/o skaters.

Well Sasha is OK, given her fingers are a bit on the short and thick side. She does not have the longest or most slender fingers for sure, she makes good use of what nature has given her.

Now onto the stylized balletic arms of Ota.......

Miki's no Tara by any stretch of imagination. Let's see what she'll be able to land, when she's a senior skater.

At the same time, Sasha is a GP champion, and 2nd ranked lady skater in the world (with Irena S., being only few points, ahead, Sasha's technically the first).

We'll see, if Ando ever gets close.

rtureck

Final Flight
registered said:

We'll see, if Ando ever gets close.

Miki has a pretty good start for sure, I believe Sasha was predicted to win the junior world at 15, and she was 6th?

Whether Miki will win Olys 06, or place on the 06 podium is an unknown, but I guess that is the exciting thing about watching figure skating. :)

"Hand fetish" posts appeared later.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: My favorite kind!
...Sasha's wonderful edges: her spread eagle, Ina Bauer, spirals, some spins.
Again, it's easier for me -- a relative newbie in the sport -- to judge body position than edge quality. But ITA that her positions on these elements (especially on the Ina Bauer) are superb, except perhaps for her "I-spin." On that move, to me, she exhibits her flexibility but at the cost of rounded shoulders and back, which is not so attractive.
...a fact I think you'll discover, after following skating for a while
Hey, give me a chance to catch up with you, OK? LOL.
...with Irena S., being only few points, ahead, Sasha's technically the first
Now that's my kind of math, LOL!

I'm joking, I know what you mean. Sasha is scheduled for more and earlier Grand Prix events, so pretty soon Sasha will be ranked number one, ahead of Irina. Is that it? This is a fine achievement, to be the number one ranked skater in the world!

Mathman

rtureck

Final Flight
Originally posted by Mathman
"Hand fetish post"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: My favorite kind!

Nothing fetish at all. It belongs to the artistry part of skating. Extension means the entire body, from pointed toes to finger tips. Anyways from ankle up, Oksana's swan lake program is tough to beat. Mathman you still haven't answer my earlier question, have you review those lately? Oksana's graceful head rolls, and her stylized arms and hands. Oh yes she has long slender lovely fingers to boot. Every movement of her fingers is perfectly choreographed to the exact note, and more importantly the mood of the music.

BTW, from ankle down, Oksana's Swan Lake is one for the ages, Oksana has edges, and speed.

Last edited:

skatepixie

On the Ice
I think Miki is just another jumping bean...just my take...if she were truly artistic she would be jr world champ. To land a quad (as she did a JPGF) and still not win means that yr art isnt consistant with your jumps IMO.

shine

Record Breaker
Or because she just happened to not have a clean program despite landing the quad salchow? I think this year's jr world podium are all worthy of being the ones to watch in the coming years.

Last edited:

qoo

Rinkside
I think Miki is an artistic skater although people want to call her "jumping bean" with her quads and all...

When I saw the Life time coverage of her LP. I thought it was not exciting and kinda boring. But then I repeated the viewing and was actually drawn to her perfomance and ended up liking it. The boredom I first felt had a lot to do with the program choice and choreography... her jumbs are fully rotated and spins are good. Her SP I saw on the Net was better choregraphed and showcased her presentation skills more I thought. Anyway she will be one of the major medal contenders in a couple of years to come.

Last edited:

registered

On the Ice
Mathman said:
: Sasha is scheduled for more and earlier Grand Prix events, so pretty soon Sasha will be ranked number one, ahead of Irina. Is that it? This is a fine achievement, to be the number one ranked skater in the world!

Mathman

Expression "above the ankles skater" was my fav. on this thread. Actually, I think that would be a great "code word" for a skating fan. That's who we all are: above the ankles skaters. :laugh:

Sasha is scheduled for 3 GP events, and she'll be competing throughout the season. But then, who isn't? She's gotta win couple of competitions, to be able to claim a credit for herself, no?

Nevertheless, I think it'll be exciting season for her, she'll be in everything imaginable, and would probably have tons of new skating costumes too. ;)

gezando

Final Flight
rtureck said:
Well Sasha is OK, given her fingers are a bit on the short and thick side. . She does not have the longest or most slender fingers for sure, she makes good use of what nature has given her.

You mean Sasha's fingers are short and FAT?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
In that photo of Mao posted several times, I think her fingers, albeit separated, are stiff and tight--the position is forced. Even in still shots, Sasha's fingers look soft and fluid. Interesting that no one posted photos of Shizuka Arawaka, who, in my opinion, is the most lovely and graceful of the Japanese skaters.

Sasha is exquisite to look at. She may never be able to overcome her lapses, but that does not make her any less exquisite to watch. That business about her not having deep edges is utter nonsense. Why the bashing? Maybe because Dick loves to GUSH about her in a way reserved only for her! That really rankles some fans!
:laugh:

mzheng

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:

Interesting that no one posted photos of Shizuka Arawaka, who, in my opinion, is the most lovely and graceful of the Japanese skaters.

Sasha is exquisite to look at. She may never be able to overcome her lapses, but that does not make her any less exquisite to watch.

That business about her not having deep edges is utter nonsense. Why the bashing? Maybe because Dick loves to GUSH about her in a way reserved only for her! That really rankles some fans!

ITA with Arakawa. She is mine faverator among Japanese senior skaters now. Even above Fummie.

For me, Sasha is exquisite to look in SP when she did not make mistake. Or when she dose some elements in LP without mistake. She is really a showcase at TV camera. If only could use computer program to combine Sasha's perfect LP elements she delivered in diff competitions, that program would be the best of the world. ;)

Her edges on stroking, spread eagle, etc are OK. As I said in another post. Stroking is better than Elena S. and Onda, spread eagle is better than Kirk. However her jump entry edge and landing edge is not that secure. She has the wobbling edges on most of her jumps. May be the correct words should be lack of CONTROL OF EDGE?

Last edited by a moderator:

fanforlady2001

Rinkside
Sasha is getting up there in age, she will have to work very hard to take gold, but it is not impossible. I hope she wins, it always nice to see the older more experienced skater win.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Sasha is getting up there in age, she will have to work very hard to take gold, but it is not impossible. I hope she wins, it always nice to see the older more experienced skater win.

Getting up there in age?? She's only gonna be 19 (I think) this season). I wouldn't consider that getting up there in age.
Michelle won 4 National Golds and 3 World Golds from the age 19 on. Its certainly possible. All the medalists from this years worlds were in thier 20's as well.