Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sasha Cohen quote in IFS

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Lucy25

All the commentators watch her in practice, where apparently she nails her programs. She then goes out to compete and is not clean, often messing up on moves she can do in her sleep.
    IIRC, in this board I read that Sasha dose not do full runthrough in practice. So the commentators may see her nails her programs without triple jumps (skaters usually put single instead in practice). Then nails her triple jumps in a seperate context. While in real competetion she has to nail the program and triples in program context, which need more concentration than what needed in practice, and not mention she must be in different mind set compared in practice.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    I never think of Sasha as balletic; fiesty, full of attitude and dramatic, yes, but not balletic. And I think there are many other skaters who are just as good from "ankle-up" as Sasha if not better. All Sasha does better is her extention and flexibility. Elena Liashenko, for example, has such dramatic arm movements, as well as Maria butyrskya. And I agree that Okasna Baiul is the true ballarina on ice, her expressive arms and body language has yet to be surpassed (see the difference here? Sasha's arms are far too stiff to qualify as balletic, there lacks a flow and softness in all her moves). Yukina Ota, who is one of my very current favorites, is also amongst the ones with the most expressive arms I've ever seen. Only such expressive body movement can be called balletic.
    Last edited by shine; 08-22-2003 at 01:56 PM.

Master Procrastinator
    Originally posted by mzheng
    IIRC, in this board I read that Sasha dose not do full runthrough in practice. So the commentators may see her nails her programs without triple jumps (skaters usually put single instead in practice). Then nails her triple jumps in a seperate context. While in real competetion she has to nail the program and triples in program context, which need more concentration than what needed in practice, and not mention she must be in different mind set compared in practice.
    You're right. I have heard Sasha herself say that she doesn't do full run throughs. I imagine it is easier to nail elements done in isolation then it is in a full run through. This makes the commentators remarks even more confusing. I remember reading on the boards that maybe this lack of full run throughs in practice is her problem.

Registered, you must have scoured the Internet to find so many pictures of Sasha looking ungainly and awkward. Maybe she is one of those very animated people that looks good in motion but not in still photos.

RTureck, very lovely pictures of the Japanese ladies. But it's not really fair to compare Sasha's upper body positions, arms and hands, at this stage of her career, with those of the exquisite professional Yuka Sato!

Mathman

Custom Title
    Originally posted by Mathman
    [B]RTureck, very lovely pictures of the Japanese ladies. But it's not really fair to compare Sasha's upper body positions, arms and hands, at this stage of her career, with those of the exquisite professional Yuka Sato!
    B]
    Then how about a comparison with CUTIE Mao Asada

Look at Mao's gentle head roll, and she has cute fingers too.

Last edited by rtureck; 08-22-2003 at 04:27 PM.

Custom Title
    Registered, you must have scoured the Internet to find so many pictures of Sasha looking ungainly and awkward. Maybe she is one of those very animated people that looks good in motion but not in still photos.

Mathman
    Hmm, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. I posted these pictures to disprove a nonsense about Sasha's poor edging technique. Anyone, who knows at least a little bit about figures skating, would tell you, that Sasha's Ina Bauer, spread eagle, spins are of an amazing quality. One has to have very secure edges to hold a balance on her skid spiral, or I-spin. And of course, there's nothing comfortable about those elements, but Sasha makes it all look effortless, what seldom could be said about other skaters.

Custom Title
    Registered, you must have scoured the Internet to find so many pictures of Sasha
    Ah... Mathman, Registered probably has enough Sasha pictures to operate/ adminster 2 Sasha Cohen message boards / fan sites.

Yup, Joesitz, I agree Cohen's fingers are OK, basic ballet. I think she is not the worse below the ankles, and not the best above the ankles.

Now Mathman back to the serious comparisons. Look at Miki Ando

DEEP edges , nice extension, and those fingers, each one is at a different plane (is that a math term) or each finger is at a differnet line and angle relative to each other. These all work EXPONENTIALLY for an out of the world effect of Einsteinian proportion, she has the golden blades, and is the first lady skater to land a quad in competition to boot. Bring on 2006.

PS off topic
    About Einstein, a physics / math genius who played the violin. "Al you can do theory of relativity, but you can't count!" ~~ A. Schnabel
    Last edited by rtureck; 08-22-2003 at 05:19 PM.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by rtureck
    Ah... Mathman, Registered probably has enough Sasha pictures to operate/ adminster 2 Sasha Cohen message boards / fan sites.

Ah, and suppose I do? What's wrong with that? Apparently YOU have enough pictures to administer a few Ando's sites.

I'm going to find few pictures of Sasha, showcasing "balletic" arms. Please wait until I actually post them, before you continue with your bashing.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by registered
    Ah, and suppose I do? What's wrong with that? Apparently YOU have enough pictures to administer a few Ando's sites.

I'm going to find few pictures of Sasha, showcasing "balletic" arms. Please wait until I actually post them, before you continue with your bashing.
    Be careful of accusing others of "bashing". Be careful to read all the definitons here at GS about bashings. I compliment on Miki Ando, she is the first woman to land a quad in competition, and she is listed as one of the 25 most influential people in skating. I gave an assessment of Sasha's skating. "Below the ankles she is not the worst and above the ankles she is not the best". I agree with Joe that Sasha's fingers are OK, basic ballet.
    Last edited by rtureck; 08-22-2003 at 05:37 PM.

I think I can judge balletic arms when I see them. Sasha does have the basic balletic arms that a ballet student has in class.

For stylized balletic arms one must look at the Ota picture. Increible! (wish I had accents on this typewriter). btw, Ms Ota will be the one to watch this year. Dare I say this is the of Yokina?

Joe

Registered, am I out of the loop here?
    Enjoy viewing the snapshots of a not so good "above the ankles" skater, with weak and not secure edges. -- "Registered"
    I thought you were trying to bash Sasha. In the first set of pictures that you posted I thought that you were calling attention to how Sasha's hands seem to be curled unattractively unto a claw, as opposed to the "all fingers nicely separated, each on a different level" ideal.

In the second set, I have to say that I have seen many absolutely stunning pictures of Sasha. But I don't think many people would find her arms and hands beautifully positioned, for instance, in this shot from your list. (Is she hanging her hands out to dry? Would it help if her pinky were properly pointed?)

http://www.starsstripesandskates.org.../cohen-tc4.jpg

About edges, to me it is hard to make a judgment about that from still pictures. In that pic it looks like she is on the flat, but I suppose that this is just the camera angle.

Anyway, GO SASHA! I look forward to seeing her in Skate America.

Mathman

Skating Soprano
    I think sasha is fine. hes getting more consistant. And calling Miki ando artistic because she uses unorigional Nichol artistry? Please....

Custom Title

About edges, to me it is hard to make a judgment about that from still pictures. In that pic it looks like she is on the flat, but I suppose that this is just the camera angle.

Mathman
    Yes. It is hard to judge the edges in still picture. If you pay really attention on her jump landing instead of her body position in the air you'll find her landing edges usually wobbolly, she always has to adjust to BOE.

And I agree some poster said here Sasha is not the worst ankle down in elite, IMO, the edge in her stroking (not jump landing) is better than Onda (Japan) and Elena S. (Rusian). She is not the best ankle up, IIRC, some posters here also mentioned her repeating hand movement something like fist pull into the waist, open palm through out, fist pull in, palm through out, ..... Just watch her 2003's SP and LP you'll know what Im talking about.

Skating Soprano
    you want cerna things to recur though out a program. I think sasha is truly the most versitile skater today. Think Carmen, R&J, HH, mal. They are also so diffrent and she expessses them all prefectly. I think last years programs were a bit rushed in putting them together, however, and that this years should be a lot better. I have seen sasha have a VERY deep edge.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast