Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Controversial Team Selections

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar

Controversial Team Selections

Just extending off the Controversial Olympic thread--I was wondering which team selections y'all felt was controversial. There are many decisions made by national federations that we can all debate, so feel free to bring those forward.

However, I am aware that any time we examine anything in skating, we all become passionate--please, be as passionate as you like, but be diplomatic, as well.

I'll start-- although he went on to win Olympic silver, at the time, I felt that Mark Mitchell was the more obvious choice to go to the Olympics. Of course, Paul Wylie proved me and others who felt the same way wrong...

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Just extending off the Controversial Olympic thread--I was wondering which team selections y'all felt was controversial. There are many decisions made by national federations that we can all debate, so feel free to bring those forward.

However, I am aware that any time we examine anything in skating, we all become passionate--please, be as passionate as you like, but be diplomatic, as well.

I'll start-- although he went on to win Olympic silver, at the time, I felt that Mark Mitchell was the more obvious choice to go to the Olympics. Of course, Paul Wylie proved me and others who felt the same way wrong...
    well of course i can't remember that far back, but I have to say that the USFSA's decision to send Kimmie to worlds this year was rather controversial.

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    Although I don't know enough to have my own opinion on the matter, I believe that Japan's choice to send Miki Ando to the Olympics even though she'd finished 6th at Nationals was a rather controversial decision. I think it was Yoshie Onda who "wuzrobbed", as people say.

Kypma

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kypma View Post
    Although I don't know enough to have my own opinion on the matter, I believe that Japan's choice to send Miki Ando to the Olympics even though she'd finished 6th at Nationals was a rather controversial decision. I think it was Yoshie Onda who "wuzrobbed", as people say.

Kypma
    I think the audience that night felt that Yukari Nakano was wuzrobbed - she reeled off an essentially clean performance but was dinged on downgrades and placed 5th (sound familiar?) That plus the fact that she had placed higher at both NHK and the Grand Prix Final that year compared to Miki made the decision not to send her to the Olympics a bit suspect. Yoshie also had a great, clean performance at nationals and placed 4th behind Suguri, Asada and Arakawa, but her GP results were nowhere near as impressive at Yukari's. The JSF explained how they came up with the decisions by factoring in results starting from the previous season and such, but I thought the way that the National placements worked out seemed a bit too perfect.

For some ancient history now. In 1972, USSR left the Protopopovs off the Olympic team . The reason, of course, was that there was already a deal made with GDR that USSR would support Groß/ Kagelmann in pairs in exchange for GDR supporting Chetverukhin in men. Both Rodnina & Ulanov and Smirnova & Suraikin were younger teams, and it was felt that they both must go. However, if the Protopopovs went but did not medal, it would really cause an outrage - thus they were left off the team. This was really the first major step in their disillusionment and eventual defection.

Custom Title
    Kiira Korpi making Olympic team over Alissa Drei.
    Kiira Korpi making world team in 2007 over Laura Lepisto.
    I know Finnish federation factors in Euro and GP results, but I feel there is favorism going on.

Custom Title
    Emanuel Sandhu 1998 - he came 2nd at Canadians but Skate Canada decided not to send him because of his 'surprise' senior debut and 'lack of experience'. A lot of people think that decision may have contributed to his subsequent head-casedness.

Kimmie had more international experience... USFSA doesn't have to send the top three if they don't want to...

Nationals was a disaster, she rebounded - IMHO - for Worlds...

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by icedancingnut31 View Post
    I saw Meissner's Long Program at Nationals and it was a DISASTER. How did Kimmie Meissner get to go to World's over Katrina Hacker? Katrina skated better than her and beat her but Kimmie still got to instead. That's unfair
    Quite a few reasons.
    Yes it was true Hacker outskated Meissner on that particular night but we are talking about a skater who didn't even make it past Eastern Sectionals the year before. Plus Hacker had only competed at one international event prior to nationals, compared to the other girls who were sent to worlds and even the underage ones on the podium. She showed good consitency in the limited time we saw her but she is extremely prone to meltdowns. Still, I hope she can improve her jumps. She's a beautiful skater.

I wouldn't call it particularly controversial, but I felt really sorry for Valentina Marchei when Sylvia Fontana decided to come back for Torino 2006 and did well enough that Valentina was left off the team. It must have been an awful disappointment for her to miss out on the Olympics in her own country.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    well of course i can't remember that far back, but I have to say that the USFSA's decision to send Kimmie to worlds this year was rather controversial.
    It would have been controversial if some skaters in question had been according the rules old enough to skate at Worlds, I think. Hacker on the other hand was old enough, but there was so little difference in the scores, that I can understand that Meissner got sent.
    Last edited by Jaana; 05-14-2008 at 05:27 AM.

Michelle Kwan making the team instead of Emily (personally I thought it was the right decision) but it was pretty controversial.

Custom Title
    The German Olympic committee not allowing the Beiers and Annette Dytrt to go to the 2006 Olympics. Beiers "only" placed 13 at Euros and the NOK had requested 12th and Annette "only" placing 10th at Euros when the NOK wanted to see a 8th place finish.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Michelle Kwan making the team instead of Emily (personally I thought it was the right decision) but it was pretty controversial.
    ITA! There was also a certain amount of controversy about leaving Michelle off of the '94 Oly team -- after the police began investigating Tonya, a lot of people thought that it was simply wrong to let Harding go and they didn't like the "legal technicalities" that prevented the USFS from dumping her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    Emanuel Sandhu 1998 - he came 2nd at Canadians but Skate Canada decided not to send him because of his 'surprise' senior debut and 'lack of experience'.
    My understanding was that it wasn't Skate Canada's (CFSA's) decision not to send him, but the Canadian Olympic Committee's. They (COC) had determined qualifying criteria with each Olympic sport and because Sandhu hadn't done any previous senior competitions nationally or internationally he hadn't had a chance to meet those criteria. I thought that Skate Canada actually tried to get them to relax the international criteria to let them send the second-place finisher at nationals since he had beaten the third-place finisher who had met the criteria, but the COC declined to do so. Which made sense from their point of view because then federations from all other sports would also start asking for exceptions. It was just a lesson that if criteria based on more than that year's national results must be set, they should be more flexible to take into account breakthrough debuts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast