Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Always a Bridemaid...

Fan for Life
    Originally posted by sk8er1964
    If Sarah had won any other Olympics except the last one, she would have been America's Sweetheart (ala Dorothy Hammil - she's got that kind of personality). However, her win was overshadowed by Michelle Kwan's loss - kind of like every winner in the last few years' golf major tournaments have been overshadowed by Tiger Wood's losses.
    I will admit I really wanted Michelle to win, but Sarah's win wouldn't have bothered me so much if she any other wins under her belt, like Irina. I just like to see skaters win the gold who have built up some momentum in previous seasons and competitions. Sarah's win also wouldn't have bothered me to much if she had returned to eligible ranks and continued her growth and shown she was the champion by continued wins against the other women in the field. Yes, she won that night, there's no denying that, but it's tough to swallow that she only won because stronger skaters with better competitive records did not skate their best. Although it's fair, it seems sad that one well placed skate can win the gold. I almost wish you won those medals against a body of work.

That being said, I realize I don't get a vote when it comes to Sarah's choices, and I wish her the best in her future.

Skating Soprano
    i dont think sarah should have won because of her short program.

I agree about Tina.

carol doesnt apply. Because she realized her potential and won Olympic gold.

Anyone who gets 5th at sectionals over and over.

Maribel Vinson
    Cecilia Colledge
    Janet Lynn
    Barbara Roles
    Dorothy Hamill at worlds.....

Bridesmaids

Tiffany Chin has to be one of the biggest in my mind. After a strong skate at the '84 Olympics and her win at '85 Nationals, it looked like she was going to be the next big thing. She was a beautiful performer -- both with her jumps as well as the artistry. Unfortunately, she never became the skater I hoped she would be. On a positive note, she inspired Kristi Yamaguchi, who was most definitely NOT a bridesmaid.

It's catty, but I wonder if Tiffany would have done better if her mother wasn't such a *****.

On the Ice
    Gotta disagree sk8er1964. Sarah had the skate of "that night" meaning she was the only one of the top four that didn't fall (Sasha, Michelle) or have a lackluster performance (Irina). In no way did she have the "perfect skate" or her personal best. At that point in time she had an adequate skate that enabled her to win when everyone else failed. She was not marked down for her serious flutzing, lack of edges, etc. I feel that is the reason, for some, that Sarah is not looked at the way Dorothy Hamill is (in the America's Sweetheart context). Dorothy had won previous major championships and won the Oly gold outright. No one had to fail for Dorothy to win.

Unfortunately, we'll probably never see Sarah's personal best. We'll most likely not see her win another major comp., and won't see how she would deal with being the overwhelming favorite. She reached her goals- -being in the Olys and winning Oly gold. I
    applaud her decision to continue her schooling- -but on the other hand I so much wanted to see her development as an elite skater and to see her maturity reach it's highest level.

So I guess, for me, that despite winning the Oly gold, Sarah is still "A Bridesmaid".

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    I have to come in somewhere between skater1964 and patsue: I think iSLC was Sarah's personal best, but I also think the response to her was affected by Michelle's loss. Regardless of your personal opinion of her, Michelle Kwan is one of the "best loved" skaters of all time. A lot of America watched her grow up and become an amazing skater and competitor, and many of them hurt along with her at both Olympics where she missed gold and were again amazed by her sportsmanship and class at both Olympics.

I also think Sarah's potential for "beloved" (for lack of a better term in this case) status was negatively affected by her not going to Worlds in 2002 and her stunningly poor preparation and season this year. IMO, I think the only thing that saved her from a media backlash this past season was her emphasis on grades and college and her academic life. If she had done the "star turn" that Tara did after her win, Sarah would have been eviscerated in the press for putting in the 2002-03 season that she did. And I say this as a Sarah fan who hurt very much for her favorite, Michelle, at SLC but still was thrilled for Sarah. I hope this makes some sense!!!! In as sense, Sarah is a bridesmaid, and my personal feeling is that we'll never see her in the eligible skating "church" again.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by patsue47

Unfortunately, we'll probably never see Sarah's personal best. ...., and won't see how she would deal with being the overwhelming favorite.
    Except this I agree with every thing in your post.

I think we had seen Sarah's personal best, which was her SLC LP.

And we did see how she deal with being the overwhelming favorite going into 03 Nats and Worlds. Although she might not be viewed as a fav by ABC broadcast team, she was certainly by the rest of the world.

On the Ice
    Well, I'd like to stand corrected but to some extent I still feel as if
    we have not seen her "personal best". We saw a flawed program, technically speaking, that happened to win when the overwhelming favorites slipped on that darn slippery ice. Sarah
    skated a program that in "normal" circumstances would have garnered her a bronze (maybe) or even 4th position. It was a typical Sarah skate, imo.

At Nats and Worlds I didn't feel she was the overwhelming favorite. I didn't EXPECT her to win based on the SLC Olys, however, I did expect her to skate a little more competively than she did. Her excuses for not doing so didn't cut any ice (no pun intended) with me. I think some skating aficianadoes could agree me on this. But, really, this whole topic has been discussed ad nausem, since 2002 so I'll get off the platform now.

SkateFan4Life
    There are plenty of talented American singles skaters who had the misfortune of competing for the US. They were small fish in a large pond.

Wendy Burge, Carrie Rugh, Tonia Kwiatkowski, Christine Haigler, Tina Noyes, Lisa Marie Allen, Jeri Campbell, Jenny Kirk, Angela Nikodinov are just a small segment of the US talent pool that also included Dorothy Hamill, Kristi Yamaguchi, Jill Trenary, Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan, Peggy Fleming, Linda Fratianne, and Michelle Kwan.

Lisa-Marie Allen was a three-time US silver medalist behind Linda Fratianne. She may have wondered, "Just what do I have to do to win the National title?"

As for the men - Paul Wylie was the ultimate "bridesmaid", with second and third place finishes at Nationals. He never could put together a winning competition to claim the title.

It has to be frustrating at times for these skaters who go out there and skate their hearts out and still fail to medal or win the competition.

Custom Title
    Originally posted by sk8er1964
    OK, I am going to go out on a limb here (and duck the rotton tomatoes thrown at me). If Sarah had won any other Olympics except the last one, she would have been America's Sweetheart (ala Dorothy Hammil - she's got that kind of personality). However, her win was overshadowed by Michelle Kwan's loss - kind of like every winner in the last few years' golf major tournaments have been overshadowed by Tiger Wood's losses.

Sarah still wouldn’t have been a sweetheart in the skating world because of her flawed skating. It’s the skating that eventually brings people to you but she doesn’t have “it”. Nice girl but there’s nothing about Sarah’s skating that I would want to emulate (gold or not). It would have been nice to see if she could improve after the Olympics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2