Rudy Galindo's Hip Replacement Surgery | Golden Skate

Rudy Galindo's Hip Replacement Surgery

S

SkateFan4Life

1996 US Champion and World Bronze Medalist Rudy Galindo underwent successful hip replacement surgey, as per the USFSA article (linked below).

According to the article, Rudy skated in SOI with a fractured left femur. OUCH! How he was able to perform at all is beyond me.

All the best, Rudy! Please make a full recovery, and don't stay away from the ice too long. You will be missed.

http://www.usfsa.org/news/2003-04/galindo-hip.htm?siteid=983

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Get well, Rudy!

The article says "he finished touring with Champions on Ice" and that Rudy is quoted as saying he expects "to tour with Champions again next spring." Not a single mention of SOI, so I expect the original post is just a mistake/typo.

Anyway, I'm so glad to hear that the operation went well -- and that Rudy is in great spirits! He is a real trouper -- and I hope all those who were ragging on his "watered down" performances this spring are suitably chastened. We all knew he was skating with a hip injury so I don't understand some of the harsh criticism I read on several message boards. Skating with a fracture in his femur is quite amazing -- and must have been excruciatingly painful. Here's to a complete recovery Rudy -- I'll be looking forward to seeing you skating in COI again!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
unless he was in a European version of Stars On Ice he's never been in the N. American Tour...

alhuncc

Rinkside
There is now an address for those who would like to send best wishes to Rudy during his surgeries, recuperation, and rehabilitation--and, or, for his 34th birthday on September 7. Here it is:

Rudy Galindo
4790 Caughlin Pkwy. - #319
Reno, NV 89509-0907

It's also posted on his web site: http://www.rudy-galindo.com/news.htm

This time before he can start really working out is going to be hardest for him.

Amanda

S

SkateFan4Life

OK guys, let's not split hairs over whether Rudy Galindo was skating with SOI or COI. He was skating with COI.

I was posting a large number of threads and responses the other day, so if I make an occasional typo -- so be it.

Anyway, I wish Rudy a speedy and quick recovery!

shdotz

On the Ice
Rudy's surgery

How sad to know Rudi has hip problems - a replaced hip?

Will that curtail his skating prowess?

Rudi's skating is so good and he's so much fun; I, too, wish him the abosolute best in recoveries.

Do what the docs tell you to do and don't be too anxious to try before you're really given the okay to skate. You're an amazing guy. Can't wait to see you glide across the ice again.

sh

S

SkateFan4Life

Will Rudy be able to skate again at the level he's been skating for the past several seasons? Will he be forced to water down all of his programs to accommodate his physical limitations?

Hopefully, Rudy will make a full recovery and will regain all of his triples. It would be a sad thing to see him return and be able to perform "only" singles and doubles. Granted, with his high level of choregraphy and artistry, even a program of all singles and double would be interesting. It just wouldn't be the same, however. Shades of Tara Lipinski....

alhuncc

Rinkside
What Rudy probably won't be able to do are some of his flexibility moves--splits, possibly the Y spin, maybe the shotgun spin although that may still be possible since it has a frontal orientation, not a side one. Another thing he probably won't be able to do is a spread eagle--inside or outside edge--because of the angle it requires in the hip joint. Spirals and Ina Bauers should be ok.

Jumping should actually be less affected. He got his triple axel back after his HIV+ diagnosis and did triple loops, flips, salchows, and toes in his COI programs for a couple of years thereafter.

Spinning should also be ok.

Rudy is indomitable when he has something to prove... If he can do double axels and triple toes, even in combination, on a fractured femur, he'll probably tackle something more when not in pain. He might even invent something.

Here's hoping!

Amanda

ouridol

On the Ice
thanks a bunch for the address Amanda. I hope it's successful, and I wish him the best. I hope he can still skate to his full potential, but no matter what he will always be a joy to watch

shdotz

On the Ice
Ruda Galindo

A reply to ALHUNCC -

I knew that with a new hip there are restrictions with leg movements; still, I hope he'll overcome this physical handicap.

He can still skate and keep us either in tears or laughing and applauding his outstanding skating.

I'm looking forward to his return. sh

S

SkateFan4Life

Regardless of whether or not Rudy returns to the ice (and I sure hope he does!), I will cherish the memory of his stunning victory at the 1996 US Nationals. In my opinion, Rudy's long program ranks right up there among the finest men's long programs ever skated at Nationals. It was brilliant! Great jumps, spins, choregraphy - and right in front of his hometown crowd.

I get goosebumps just thinking about it!

:D

DJStuCrew

Rinkside
I'm generally not a Rudy fan, but when I read about him finishing the "Champions" tour with a broken hip, and the kind of pain he endiured because he didn't want to disappont his fans, I can't help but admire his spirit. I was also happy to hear him say that he'll be back and better than ever once his surgeries are over. I sincerely hope he pulls it off! I've got a whole new respect...

curious

Final Flight
he skated with the pain and didn't complain like others,that's whY I respect Rudy so much.

windspirit

On the Ice
Thank you so much for the address, Amanda! I've been waiting for it. I hope he knows how many people think about him and wish him well. :)

That said, I don't think it's very wise to skate with such a serious injury. I'm sure his fans would have understood if he had decided not to skate in the tour. Rudy's a wonderful skater and always a joy to watch, but his health should be the main priority for him, as well as for his fans (and I'm sure it is).