Skate America Preview | Golden Skate

Skate America Preview

NanSinger2

On the Ice
Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait! I can't believe I'm a 37 yr old adult and still get so giddy with the start of every new season. I am SO thankful for everyone in this forum who give me a place to share my thoughts.

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
Great Line up. I can't wait.
Daniel and Little Lulu

Looking forward to seeing Ilia Klimkin and Trifun. Of course, hoping the American boys skate well.

Will miss Plush and Yags, and Davydad(sp?). Will he be in the Prix?

Noted, there are no Canadians boys in SkateAmerica! Que paso?

For the Ladies, looking forward to seeing Pokio, Kostner and Maniachenko.

Wondering if Nelidina got an ounce of artistry? The USA contingent of Ladies looks super.

QUESTION; Will this event sell out? without MK?

Joe

Doris - How much of SA will be shown on TV? I think the best bet would be to go to Reading. There are a number of entries I would like to see.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

I recall seeing a lot of empty seats at the previous Skate America competitions. Sometimes it was almost embarrassing - there were far more empty seats than filled seats.

Perhaps the ticket price has something to do with me. Obviously, the event needs to pay for itself, if possible, so a certain amount of revenue must be raised. This is a wonderful event, of course, but the field isn't nearly as deep as it is for Worlds. Many of the world's best skaters are not competting at SA. That being the case, I can't blame people for electing to watch the competition at home (and tape it!).

:rolleye:

Linny

Final Flight
Empty seats seem strange to me at GP events since they are relatively cost effective. I'm on a tight budget but was able to squeeze out the all event ticket. Reading is a nice town, BTW. John Updike wrote about it in his "Rabbit" series. Be sure to take Penn Street across the river and visit the VF Outlets. Lee Jeans, racks and racks of them, at rock bottom prices.
Linny

S

SkateFan4Life

It's not just the all-event tickets that keeps people from attending Skate America and other Grand Prix events. For most of us, there's the matter of plane fair, hotels, and meals. The total bill can be pretty high.

Anyway, it should be a great competition. :D

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Joe, I'm going to Reading. The ticket prices are reasonable, and there are hotels in the area for very reasonable prices per night.
There are rooms available from about $60 in Reading up to $110 or $120 for executive suites which come with breakfast.

Plus it's no stretch to drive there.

I don't believe they ever show more than the top 6 in any discipline. It is tricky to catch: ABC shows some of it, but last year Lifetime had more complete coverage of Pairs and Dance. And I believe the short programs are either on ESPN2 or Lifetime.

I think the VIP seats are sold out but the rest are not.

Don't book at the Plaza. Turns out that they overbook like crazy and if you can't make it the first day, you will find you have no room and they will put you wherever.

But I want to see Poykio, Vakhtang and a few others of the unseens and this is a great opportunity to see them!

dpp

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
I think the VIP seats are sold out but the rest are not.

I was able to get single event tickets for Friday and Saturday in the 2nd row. I think pretty much any ticket you get will be a decent seat.

The problem of empty seats could be directed to the number of TV cameras which have precedence over spectators. What a loss of spectators at DC Worlds. I supposed the TV cameras made up for the loss of revenue.

Back at the SA, I have to get there someway. If you are a skating fan like me then you have to see everyone skate. You are looking more at skating performances - not just medal winners. For me, it's a thrill to watch a newcomer show superb basic skills or an "old timer" like Trifun make a renewed statement.

Other than that, it's ABC and we will get the top tier and maybe that one breakthrough skater. That's it!

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Someday when I retire I'm going to spend a lot of time attending figure skating competitions - Skate America, US Nationals, and as many Worlds as possible.

Until that time -- well, it's up to the television networks, and the newspapers that cover the sport of figure skating to feed me with the latest competition news.

I hope everyone who attends Skate America has a great time.

And please share your impressions with us. Thanks,

SkateFan4Life