Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Skate America Preview

SkateFan4Life
    It's not just the all-event tickets that keeps people from attending Skate America and other Grand Prix events. For most of us, there's the matter of plane fair, hotels, and meals. The total bill can be pretty high.

Anyway, it should be a great competition. :D

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Joe, I'm going to Reading. The ticket prices are reasonable, and there are hotels in the area for very reasonable prices per night.
    There are rooms available from about $60 in Reading up to $110 or $120 for executive suites which come with breakfast.

Plus it's no stretch to drive there.

I don't believe they ever show more than the top 6 in any discipline. It is tricky to catch: ABC shows some of it, but last year Lifetime had more complete coverage of Pairs and Dance. And I believe the short programs are either on ESPN2 or Lifetime.

I think the VIP seats are sold out but the rest are not.

Don't book at the Plaza. Turns out that they overbook like crazy and if you can't make it the first day, you will find you have no room and they will put you wherever.

But I want to see Poykio, Vakhtang and a few others of the unseens and this is a great opportunity to see them!

dpp

+ Medalist +
    I think the VIP seats are sold out but the rest are not.
    I was able to get single event tickets for Friday and Saturday in the 2nd row. I think pretty much any ticket you get will be a decent seat.

The problem of empty seats could be directed to the number of TV cameras which have precedence over spectators. What a loss of spectators at DC Worlds. I supposed the TV cameras made up for the loss of revenue.

Back at the SA, I have to get there someway. If you are a skating fan like me then you have to see everyone skate. You are looking more at skating performances - not just medal winners. For me, it's a thrill to watch a newcomer show superb basic skills or an "old timer" like Trifun make a renewed statement.

Other than that, it's ABC and we will get the top tier and maybe that one breakthrough skater. That's it!

Joe

SkateFan4Life
    Someday when I retire I'm going to spend a lot of time attending figure skating competitions - Skate America, US Nationals, and as many Worlds as possible.

Until that time -- well, it's up to the television networks, and the newspapers that cover the sport of figure skating to feed me with the latest competition news.

I hope everyone who attends Skate America has a great time.

And please share your impressions with us. Thanks,

SkateFan4Life

SkateFan4Life
    Someday when I retire I plan to spend a lot of time traveling to attend figure skating competitions - Skate America, Skate Canada, the US Nationals, and as many of the Worlds as possible.

In the meantime, I'll settle for the excellent newspapers that cover these competitions, television programs, and the Internet.

I hope everyone who attends this year's Skate America has a great time, and please share your impressions of the competition with the rest of us.

SkateFan4Life

Has the Scheduled been posted? I've been searching for it on the Net and it doesn't show up at ISU or USFSA sites.

Joe

Sal-Kowabunga!
    Hi Joe,

The detailed schedule won't be out until the event, but there is a general schedule at the Skate America site.

http://www.2003skateamerica.com/schedule.asp

Hope that's what you were looking for. The beauty of events in the US is that they almost always have their own web site. You'd never know it from the USFSA site. Don't know why they don't include the links!

Custom Title

Question CTV?

It says in the article that CTV will cover it live. Huh? I thought that they cut out any non-Canadian coverage due to budget restraints and low ratings (or something like that)

Thanks Johio - It's Thursday, Friday and Saturday for me, if I go.
    I'm not interested in exhibitions, I'll tape them before I go to Reading.

Its seems that there is only a compulsory dance and then an original dance, and no medal ceremony. Weird!

Btw, have you checked out Skate Canada? Fabulous line up of competitors!

Joe

Rinkside
    I'll also be attending live. It will be my first competition since the 1992 Nationals. I live an hour away from Reading. I was also surprised to see no Canadians listed as entrants.

Originally posted by bumblebee1
    I'll also be attending live. It will be my first competition since the 1992 Nationals. I live an hour away from Reading. I was also surprised to see no Canadians listed as entrants.
    Melissa Piperno & Liam Dougherty, CAN – 2003 Canadian junior champions
    and
    Elizabeth Putnam & Sean Wirtz, CAN – 2003 Canadian bronze medalists
    and
    Annie Bellemare, CAN – 2003 Canadian bronze medalist
    and
    Michelle Currie, CAN

are all going to be there... I guess you meant mens?

Everyone who's going to SA PLEASE cheer on Melissa Gregory & Denis Petukhov for me PLEASE! They're such great ice dancers!

On the Ice

attending Skate America

I will also have a full report...agh I'm going through such withrawal that I watched 2001 Skate Canadaa a little while ago!

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu

Skate America Preview

One thing that can be dissapointing about SA is that most skaters will probably have new programs that don't have all of the final touches. It's also the perfect time to try new moves, jumps and combos. So often times we see a lot of bad skates at SA.
    Daniel and Little Lulu

Kzarah - I think those that are in Campbells willl have one up on the other contestants as far as new programs are concerned.
    Other than that, I would say you are correct.

ADVANTAGE: Cohen; Weiss; Jahnke; Goebel, Honda.

Joe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast