Skate America Preview | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skate America Preview

S

SkateFan4Life

Someday when I retire I plan to spend a lot of time traveling to attend figure skating competitions - Skate America, Skate Canada, the US Nationals, and as many of the Worlds as possible.

In the meantime, I'll settle for the excellent newspapers that cover these competitions, television programs, and the Internet.

I hope everyone who attends this year's Skate America has a great time, and please share your impressions of the competition with the rest of us.

SkateFan4Life

Has the Scheduled been posted? I've been searching for it on the Net and it doesn't show up at ISU or USFSA sites.

Joe

JOHIO2

Medalist
Hi Joe,

The detailed schedule won't be out until the event, but there is a general schedule at the Skate America site.

http://www.2003skateamerica.com/schedule.asp

Hope that's what you were looking for. The beauty of events in the US is that they almost always have their own web site. You'd never know it from the USFSA site. Don't know why they don't include the links!

missflick

On the Ice
CTV?

It says in the article that CTV will cover it live. Huh? I thought that they cut out any non-Canadian coverage due to budget restraints and low ratings (or something like that):confused:

Thanks Johio - It's Thursday, Friday and Saturday for me, if I go.
I'm not interested in exhibitions, I'll tape them before I go to Reading.

Its seems that there is only a compulsory dance and then an original dance, and no medal ceremony. Weird!

Btw, have you checked out Skate Canada? Fabulous line up of competitors!

Joe

bumblebee1

Rinkside
I'll also be attending live. It will be my first competition since the 1992 Nationals. I live an hour away from Reading. I was also surprised to see no Canadians listed as entrants.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
bumblebee1 said:
I'll also be attending live. It will be my first competition since the 1992 Nationals. I live an hour away from Reading. I was also surprised to see no Canadians listed as entrants.

Melissa Piperno & Liam Dougherty, CAN – 2003 Canadian junior champions
and
Elizabeth Putnam & Sean Wirtz, CAN – 2003 Canadian bronze medalists
and
Annie Bellemare, CAN – 2003 Canadian bronze medalist
and
Michelle Currie, CAN

are all going to be there... I guess you meant mens?

Everyone who's going to SA PLEASE cheer on Melissa Gregory & Denis Petukhov for me PLEASE! They're such great ice dancers! :)

ice_magick

Rinkside
attending Skate America

I will also have a full report...agh I'm going through such withrawal that I watched 2001 Skate Canadaa a little while ago!

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
One thing that can be dissapointing about SA is that most skaters will probably have new programs that don't have all of the final touches. It's also the perfect time to try new moves, jumps and combos. So often times we see a lot of bad skates at SA.
Daniel and Little Lulu

Kzarah - I think those that are in Campbells willl have one up on the other contestants as far as new programs are concerned.
Other than that, I would say you are correct.

ADVANTAGE: Cohen; Weiss; Jahnke; Goebel, Honda.

Joe

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I just want to know which one of you will be bringing along his/her laptop and providing us with detailed, up-to-the-minute reports? Hmmmmm?:D

serenity

On the Ice
Can not wait to see skating after all summer long.
I am counting down just to see it on t.v.

About selling out, last year in Spokane they set the all-time attendance record for this event (thanks to a surge of ticket sales after it was announced that Michelle Kwan would be competing). Even so, the arena was only half full, even for the ladies' final. (BTW, if you go to the "Schedule" page of the USFSA's official web site for this year's event

http://www.2003skateamerica.com/schedule.asp

there is a big picture of Michelle, even though she is not in it.

The big draw this year, in terms of U.S. fan base, will be Sasha. She can bring in her fans, and the hard core skating fans will come anyway -- but I'm not sure that this will be a big event to the casual entertainment-seeker.

Mathman

Last edited: