Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tonya harding was on the today show

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico

Tonya harding was on the today show

I came across this article and I thought I would share it with everyone. She was on the today show this morning.

Tonya Harding reveals her side of ‘roller-coaster life’
    In new book ‘The Tonya Tapes,’ she alleges abuse from mother, ex-husband

After a “roller-coaster life” that she says includes a childhood of abuse at the hands of her mother and a rape at gunpoint by her husband and two other men — a roller coaster that took her from the pinnacle of sports stardom to turmoil and ignominy — Tonya Harding says she’s at peace.

To read the rest of the story you can click on the following link. There is also a link to the video of her interview.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24645352/

hmmmmm this is late in the year for her, normally she gets press going in January or March.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    interesting. I would have liked to see that. I never know what to believe from her.

I think it's best to take the whole thing with a grain of salt. That having been said, and considering her background, I wouldn't be surprised if parts of it are true.

By the way, Mike Celizic, who wrote the story, seems to have some accuracy issues ... To say that Tonya Harding was the greatest figure skater in the world, even if for a moment, is a bit of a stretch - and obviously she was not the first woman to land a triple axel in competition.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I think it's best to take the whole thing with a grain of salt. That having been said, and considering her background, I wouldn't be surprised if parts of it are true.

By the way, Mike Celizic, who wrote the story, seems to have some accuracy issues ... To say that Tonya Harding was the greatest figure skater in the world, even if for a moment, is a bit of a stretch - and obviously she was not the first woman to land a triple axel in competition.
    Obvious? If she isn't, then who is? Well, personally she had the raw talent to be, but imploded and imploded and imploded.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lisadotdash View Post
    Obvious? If she isn't, then who is? Well, personally she had the raw talent to be, but imploded and imploded and imploded.
    I thought it was Midori Ito, but I think they did compete around the same time, so maybe it was Tonya Harding, I don't know.

That whole episode of knee banging was over played by the Media. She was a kid when all that happened and she was severely punished by banning her from her favorite sport What part she actually played in that opus, is not fully determined. My own speculation about it was she did not know of what the husband and his cronies would do, but she knew that probably something could
    happen.

Did the punishment fit the crime? Balkov and LeGourge are still judging.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    That whole episode of knee banging was over played by the Media. She was a kid when all that happened and she was severely punished by banning her from her favorite sport What part she actually played in that opus, is not fully determined. My own speculation about it was she did not know of what the husband and his cronies would do, but she knew that probably something could
    happen.

Joe
    The knee banging as you call it may have been overplayed by the media as the facts unfolded, but while it was unfolding it was big news. Taking someone out of the game just did not happen in the sports world especially to America's Olympic hopeful and to be taken out by your rival is big news, hence the media frenzy. Tonya says she did not know beforehand and I have no personal knowledge otherwise. Was she punished too severely maybe, maybe not.

Custom Title

Midori was the 1st

Midori Ito was the very first woman to do the triple axel but Tonya was the first American woman to land it.

Also, neither Midori nor Tonya landed the 3A in combination. The men were just starting to make the 3A combo common back then.

Editing to add: Oops - I misread competition as combination. Duh!

Anyway, Yes - Midori is 1st lady to land 3A in a competition. Tonya is the 1st American Woman to land it in competition.

Custom Title
    I recall reading that one of the men involved in the attack on Nancy testified that early on there was a discussion in that group of doing something much more serious to Kerrigan. An employee at the rink where Nancy trained said that a female called one day asking what time Nancy finished training each day (this was prior to Nationals). Tonya was a young married woman at the time, not a kid. I always felt she was in on it all, right from the start but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    happen.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by lisadotdash View Post
    As others have pointed out, it's obvious that Tonya was not the first woman to land the triple axel in competetion - Midori Ito did it several years earlier (definitely by 1989). Tonya was, indeed, the first American woman to do so.

Harding was one of several top women in the late 80s/early 90s, but I don't think that at any point she could have been considered the greatest among them, as Celizic suggests. Could she have become the greatest? Personally, I think she had the jumps but had things to work on for the presentation mark. If she hadn't been banned from competing, maybe with time she would have improved in those areas. But she was 23 at the time, so who knows how much longer she would have skated.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Also, neither Midori nor Tonya landed the 3A in combination. The men were just starting to make the 3A combo common back then.

Editing to add: Oops - I misread competition as combination. Duh!

Anyway, Yes - Midori is 1st lady to land 3A in a competition. Tonya is the 1st American Woman to land it in competition.
    She did--once

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uVz07QH2USM

Quote Originally Posted by meem View Post
    I recall reading that one of the men involved in the attack on Nancy testified that early on there was a discussion in that group of doing something much more serious to Kerrigan.
    Did you put any stock in what one of the culprits said? usually, co-defendants say what the prosecutors want them to say to get lighter sentences.

btw, I would have liked to see her 3A again. Many skaters land them at practice but fold up in competitions.

Joe

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    According to the clip blue dog posted, Scott said she was the first woman ever to land the 3A in the SP (in international competition). And as she landed it in combination, so that also would make her the first woman ever to land the triple axel in combination in the SP.

I seem to recall Ito landing the triple axel in combination at Trophee Lalique that year, but that would have been after skate america. Yes, here's the clip. Ito was at NHK as well, but not at SA in 1991. In 1990 she hadn't added the combo yet to her LP, AFAIR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ExmhWyNR4U

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast