Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Delobel and Schoenfelder will stay for Olympics

Delobel and Schoenfelder will stay for Olympics

This has been a question asked repeatedly on this board I think, and I just found this article over at fsuniverse that states that the FFSG has convinced them to stay for the Olympics. Here's the article:
    http://www.ouest-france.fr/actu/actu...39&indexFlux=1

Only problem is...it's in French, so I can't translate lol.

^supposed to look like a blade! C_T_T_'s Avatar
    Well my french is a little rusty but I'll have a go!

The French federation of Winter sports (FFSG) announced on Thursday that the ice dance couple Isabelle Delobel and Olivier Schoenfleder will continue their career until the Olympic Games in Vancouver in 2010. The 2007 European Champions and 2008 World Ice Dance Champions , Isabelle Delobel and Olivier Schoenfleder will try to win the only medal they are missing, in 2010 with the Olympic games in Vancouver. The FFSG, which announced the news on Thursday, stated in an official statement “proud to have convinced them to continue their brilliant career. Today the couple, who are world number 1, will continue to work until Vancouver at the sides of their coaches Muriel Zaoui-Butcher and Romain Haguenauer in Lyon Charlemagne, France”.

Feel free to correct it as there where bits I didn't understand (esp last sentence) but I think I got the idea!

Glad they're staying, looking forward to some more interesting programs from them!

Custom Title
    Yes!!! Thank you for posting this!

Great news! I'm so glad that they'll continue to compete as eligibles.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Yay! Now all I need to make my joy complete is for D/L to come back and for Wester/Barantsev to make it there too. Those would be two incredible nights of skating.

Throwing tomatoes at corrupt judges Audrey19's Avatar
    Yay! So glad to hear this! Olys without them wouldn't be the same. They are such a great couple!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Audrey19 View Post
    Yay! So glad to hear this! Olys without them wouldn't be the same. They are such a great couple!
    yay! That's all I will say!

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    wow. that is really a surprise. Now it will be a question of they can keep up that level of excellence or was this year just a fluke? Can they beat the russians?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    wow. that is really a surprise. Now it will be a question of they can keep up that level of excellence or was this year just a fluke? Can they beat the russians?
    Good question. They've had such a tough career, not always getting the deserved recognition (as many other skaters).
    For Domnina & Shabalin, I believe that Delobel and Schoenfelder are a lot better because although the russians have pleasant skating, it lacks maturity and intricacy. The question is will the judges allow Delobel and Schoenfelder to keep up with Domnina and Shabalin?
    For K&N that's a tougher question. They're definitly the rising stars of ice-dancing, although this season they didn't quite have the right level to beat Delobel and Schoenfelder but they very quickly will, the question is when?
    As for the excellence, they're pretty irregular, but I think this season has given them wings. They are capable of doing amazing programs (like this year's one or the venice carnaval one) and are technical wizards, but they need to work more on their exhibitions (something they've started doing) if they want to keep on being favourites. But it's true, after such an amazing FD this year it's going to be hard to keep up the standard.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Can they beat the russians?
    They prob can't. I so see them wuzrobbed. And then there are amerikans and canadians as well.

Rogue Leader
    I like their skating, so I'm glad they are staying. I don't think they'll ever top another World or Olympic podium though. Dom&Shab wil be back, B&A will be on home turf next year, and V&M will be on home turf in 2010. I think Del&Shoe will get pushed down/off the podium.

At my computer watching Meryl and Charlie skate!
    Honestly, I think their World Championship was a gift this year. Not that they didn't skate well and have had a long, illustrious career but I think they are courting disappointment by staying in. I just don't see them staying on top, that's for sure.

But I guess if you can still be competitive and healthy then go ahead on. I really think they didn't make a wise choice, though.

pour atteindre l'inaccessible étoile! 1795's Avatar
    omg....does this mean...los angeles....my home town....worlds?!
    *jumps for joy!*

Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer View Post
    Honestly, I think their World Championship was a gift this year. Not that they didn't skate well and have had a long, illustrious career but I think they are courting disappointment by staying in. I just don't see them staying on top, that's for sure.

But I guess if you can still be competitive and healthy then go ahead on. I really think they didn't make a wise choice, though.
    a gift... :sheesh:

honestly who knows. and plus at this point of their careers i doubt they have extreme worries of "losing" i see it more as having fun and living the sport they love. right?
    of course they will try their best blah blah blah....but come on. fluke....

Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer View Post
    Well they're a bit used to disappointment.
    Their world title may have been a gift, but I think it's one they deserve as they didn't get medals they should have got before (for example olympic bronze).

Custom Title
    I don't think their World Championship was a gift at all, but I do think that if they wanted to retire at the pinnacle doing so now would be the way to go. I wouldn't be surprised if there is/was a general feeling or expectation in the skating community that it would be a good time for them to retire, too -- as in, you've got that gold, go out on top.

But, if they want to stay, great! But I hope _they_ really want to, and they're not doing it just to please their federation or whatever.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast