I'll Take Brad's paycheck | Golden Skate

I'll Take Brad's paycheck

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Gee, I wish I had it so tough! $160,000 per episode is not enough? Wow, must be nice. I really feel sorry for these actors - not!

Big Trouble On the Set of TV's 'Raymond'

It's CBS's biggest hit, but there's trouble brewing on the set of "Everybody Loves Raymond." The cast and crew were supposed to go back to work last week, but two key players didn't show up. Patricia Heaton called in sick, and Brad Garrett continued a work strike in the quest to raise his paycheck which now stands at $160,000 per episode--paltry compared to other actors on top-rated sitcoms. CBS is refusing to budge on Garrett's salary so this could be a prolonged absence.

But it was Heaton's unexpected sick day that delayed the start of production to this past Monday. She returned as scheduled, and Garrett was still out as expected. (His character, brother Robert, has even been written out of the new season's first episode.) And then surprise! Peter Boyle and Doris Roberts didn't show up.

The Hollywood Reporter says the two called in sick on Monday. But are they really ill? Their absence--they play Ray's parents--has fueled speculation that they are also eyeing more money. Still, a spokesman for Roberts insisted she is still healing from a knee injury she sustained while doing a magazine photo shoot at her home on August 7. "She has nothing to do at all with what else is going on there," the representative, Dale Olson, told the Hollywood Reporter. "It is just unfortunate timing." Boyle is said to be suffering from an adverse reaction to a prescription drug. Meanwhile, CBS has no comment.

windspirit

On the Ice
Not that I agree with actors getting ridiculous sums of money, but you have to look at a few things here. Sitcoms bring LOTS and LOTS of money. Do you know how much Ray Romano takes home? It was $800,000 at the beginning, now he's getting $1.7 million per episode, which makes him (AFAIK) the highest-paid actor in television. If I were his co-star and was getting only $160,000 per episode I'd go on strike, too. IMO, his co-stars are the main reason for the success of the series. They're all much better actors. If they left, he'd be talking to himself, like he did in the past when he was a stand-up comedian. I doubt he was earning that kind of money, though. I don't think it's fair he's getting so freaking much, and they're getting crumbs that fell from the table.

Edited to add "million" to "he's getting $1.7" :laugh:

Last edited:

Norlite

On the Ice
ITA windspirit. The amount all successful actors make is not the point. That's another thread.

The fact that Romano is making sooo must more than his co-stars is a crime. I watch that show. I watch it for the real comedic actors. Peter Boyle, Doris Roberts, and Brad Garrett. Raymond is fine, but he could skip a whole season and I'd be fine with that.

Now I'm curious. Garrett is only paid $160,000 an episode, on the biggest money making sit-com on TV??

What are they paying those two comic masters, Roberts and Boyle??? Hope they're shown a little more respect.

Edited to add: favourite episode- "The Angry Family" funny, funny stuff! :laugh:

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
windspirit said:
Sitcoms bring LOTS and LOTS of money. Do you know how much Ray Romano takes home? It was $800,000 at the beginning, now he's getting $1.7 million per episode, which makes him (AFAIK) the highest-paid actor in television.

Hmmm... what oh what! should CBS do with all that money... Well, how about actually giving a living wage to all the people who do the "menial" jobs on the set? Reaching out to create more jobs? Ahhh, I must have been dreaming again...

lavender

Record Breaker
I don't get it either. I mean the other actors are way funnier than Raymond and they should all get around the same. Sure his name on the show but it turns out that the other actors are key to this shows success.

dizzydi

On the Ice
It's all about greed. It's never enough money. Eventually they will put themselves out of a job like all the other greedy people.

I just love "Everybody Loves Raymond" but actors, actresses and sports figures get so full of themselves it's sickening. Can I live without the series? You bet!

My messages to these greedy people........hope you didn't spend it all and saved some for a rainy day!

Dizzy

PS: Don't feel sorry for Patricia Heaton. She is making plenty off her Albertson's commercials. Like anyone in their right mind would believe that woman shops at Albertsons. Even I don't shop at that lousy store.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Dizzy, I disagree about blaming the actors and athletes. I blame the companies that gave those actors the money in the first place. People simple want their due -- and they believe the should get something like what the next guy is getting. I mean, if I knew the guy next to me at work was getting three times as much as I do for the same job, I would be upset! It's easy to call them greedy when we are not in that boat.

Having said all that, I believe that income gap is THE biggest problem facing America today. Income gap today is the largest it has been since the 1920's. In part, I believe it should be solved through:
  1. Progressive taxation.
  2. Raising minimum wage to be on the actual livable wage.
  3. When awarding governement contracts, consider the salary difference between the lowest and highest paid workers. We consider race diversity, so this should be no different.
  4. Curtail golden umbrellas.
  5. Rasing the level of high school education to the point where a high school graduate can actually get a "skilled labor" position (as it is in Italy, Germany, France, etc.). This way, only those who actually want to go to college will do so, leaving more money for educational subsidies. Ultimately, there will be fewer people to hire for the lowest pay positions, pushing up the real minimum wage.
    [/list=1]
    With that, I think we could move toward a society where a few do not get such a disproportionate amount of wealth. However, I really believe it is the job of the governement to do this; I do not believe that people can suddenly become so "good" as to implement this on their own. And, if some of this is not done, than I truly fear for the way our society is heading.

Getting of my soap box.... sorry for the rant...

Norlite

On the Ice
Couple questions:

What is the minimum wage in the US? Is it set by Washington? Or are all states different?

What kind of a store is Albertsons? We don't have them in Canada, and I don't recall ever seeing a commercial on the American channels I get.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Let's face it folks! None of these people are Shakespeareian actors. Once "Raymond" runs its gamut where will they be? On episodes of "Hollywood Squares" or selling some gimmick on the Shopping channel? Except for Peter Boyle, I don't consider any of them huge talents. Somebody please justify the large paychecks! Dick Van Dyke and cast used to earn a paltry sum back in the 60s compared to these actors and they were funny! As well the show had amazing writers. Give me The Dick Van Dyke show, Mary Tyler Moore show or Seinfeld show any day!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
SEinfield is just pure stupidity! LOL

Brad is by far the FUNNIEST on teh show...

Norlite

On the Ice
I totally agree. Dick Van Dyke, and my favourites Mary Tyler Moore
and Seinfeld were amazing.

They are also, interestingly enough, three of the highest paid TV sit-com stars ever. Van Dyke was the highest paid in his time.
MTM owns her show and is still collecting millions. And Seinfeld made history about 5 years ago for earning 1 million an episode.

Toni,

Yeah, love Brad :laugh: Also, an honourable mention has to go out to the actress who plays Amy. Those two are a riot together.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Albertsons is a grocery store. I think they are owned by the same company that owns Osco Drug Stores.
I hardly ever watch Raymond. All these shows that have dumb guys really bother me. Except for Golden Girls Rose. Give me Happy Days, Golden Girls, Waltons, Andy Griffith, Designing Women. And don't forget LUCY.

Norlite

On the Ice
Of course! I shouldn't have forgotten Golden Girls! I love these shows that make me laugh out loud, even if I've seen them 50 times each. :laugh:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Minimum wge

In the US, there is a federal minimum wage. I believe it is something like $5 or $5.25 per hour. However, various states have a minimum wage that is higher (I am not sure, but I think Massachusetts has one of around $6/hr). It is interesting that back in the 70's a decision was made to tie SSI payments to inflation; for some stupid political reason, the same was NOT done to the minimum wage. If it had, it would be at something like $10/hr by now. I think it just suits both political parties to have it this way: Republicans can show off how good they are to businesses, and Democrats can show off how good they are to the "working folk". And the people are the ones who end up as loosers. Last year, there as a strike among students at Harvard to force the University to give all janitors actual livable wage (I think it is at something like $9/hr in Boston). It worked!!! I only wish others would do the same...

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
Let's face it folks! None of these people are Shakespeareian actors. Once "Raymond" runs its gamut where will they be? On episodes of "Hollywood Squares" or selling some gimmick on the Shopping channel? Except for Peter Boyle, I don't consider any of them huge talents. Somebody please justify the large paychecks! Dick Van Dyke and cast used to earn a paltry sum back in the 60s compared to these actors and they were funny! As well the show had amazing writers. Give me The Dick Van Dyke show, Mary Tyler Moore show or Seinfeld show any day!

Maybe that's why Brad Garret is demanding more money. He knows Raymond will most likely be his only shot to make big bucks, and he knows he an essential part of the show, so he deserves a salary increase.

The show is huge, and a major reason why it's bringing in the big bucks is because of the actors that the viewers tune in to see, that's why I don't think it's ridiculous that Brad Garret is asking for a pay increase. If I was doing a show and I knew I was a major reason why the ratings are so high that big time sponsers with big money are willing to throw their money at us, I would definitely ask for my share.

The reason why actors get paid so much is because for a lot of actors, it's the only time they get a really good paying job (unless they are a superstar) whereas the technicians can always find a job some where.

Liking or not liking the show is beyong the point.

Last edited:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
VIETgrlTerifa:

Never stated I did not like "Everyone Loves Raymond" show; it's fine for actors and anyone in the working world to get what they deserve pay-wise, but when one reads and hears about all the underprivileged people around the globe, I think it is in poor taste to broadcast news like this to the public. If Brad wants to "quibble" with Ray about his paycheck - fine, but keep it private. There are people who can't even afford to put food on their table everynight or have a place to lay their head at night. That's my point.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I agree that they should keep it private because in public, it does seem ridiculous when there are people everywhere else who are trying to get by.

The entertainment programs and channels love these kinds of stories though and they want to get and give as much info as they can. It's also difficult to keep it private then Patricia, Doris, and Peter have to not show up on set in behalf of Brad because the studio and network who handles their paychecks aren't willing listen to most of the cast's demands.

heyang

Record Breaker
The disparity between Ray's and the remainder of the casts' salaries is too outrageous. People were amazed when the Friends' cast went for $1mill/person. The amount of money seems phenomenal to us regular folks.

One of the reasons that they do get the money is because the production company can sell the re-runs in syndication. There are so many more TV stations competing for the broadcast rights to these shows. The actors are smart for asking for a slice of that pie.

The other thing I don't understand are athlete salaries. I used to enjoy watching basketball when they used team work - there was nothing quite like the team work of the LA Lakers in the 80's and the Celtics. Now, many players seem out there for themselves - they go for the glory shot instead of the sure shot.

When did it all get out of hand?