2008 PSA 'Edi' Awards | Golden Skate

2008 PSA 'Edi' Awards

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Every year the Professional Skaters Association (PSA) "honors athletes for their remarkable performances at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships" with the 'Edi' Awards (named in honor of Edi Scholdan, a World and Olympic Coach who died in the 1961 plane crash).

The 2008 Nationals 'Edi' Award winners, as published in the current issue of PSA's magazine, are:

Mirai Nagasu for her Senior Short Program
Adam Rippon for his Junior Long Program
Keauna McLaughlin & Rockne Brubaker for their Senior Long Program
Meryl Davis & Charlie White for their Senior Original Dance

2007 Nationals 'Edi' Award winners:
Men - Evan Lysacek
Ladies - Alissa Czisny
Pairs - Brooke Castile & Ben Okolski
Dance - Melissa Gregory & Denis Petukhov

2006 Nationals 'Edi' Award winners:
Men - Matt Savoie
Ladies - Stephanie Rosenthal
Pairs - Rena Inoue & John Baldwin
Dance - Kimberly Navarro & Brett Bommentre

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Congratulations to all the winners of these awards!

(Especially Davis and White :love: )

Sllippery

Rinkside
The 2008 Nationals 'Edi' Award winners, as published in the current issue of PSA's magazine:

Thanks, Sylvia.
2 out of 4 junior lady/man have got an award. Quite a surprise.
I have remembered that Stephanie Rosenthal's superb
performance back in 2006. She had a bunch of originalities and guts.
Hope she had a happy life at the University.

BTW, I am not so sure if the "Coach of the year award" is related with
'Edi' Award or not (maybe not), but does anybody happen to know the
these winners?

According to the below article, "the winners will be named Thursday, May 22 at the PSA Awards Dinner at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare hotel in Rosemont, Ill".

U.S. Figure Skating, PSA Announce 2008 Coach of the Year Nominees
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=41428

I am interested in the winner of Paul McGrath Choreographer of the Year Award.
Well, I suppose Ms. Lori Nichol would win this.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I haven't seen an official announcement published online anywhere yet, but according to my sources, Dalilah Sappenfield won the USFS/PSA Coach of the Year award, Yaroslava Netchaeva and Iouri Tchesnitchenko won the award for Developmental Coach(es) of the Year, Lori Nichol is the Paul McGrath Choreographer of the Year, and Christy Krall won the Pieter Kollen Sport Science Coaching award.

Sllippery

Rinkside
I haven't seen an official announcement published online anywhere yet, but according to my sources, Dalilah Sappenfield won the USFS/PSA Coach of the Year award, Yaroslava Netchaeva and Iouri Tchesnitchenko won the award for Developmental Coach(es) of the Year, Lori Nichol is the Paul McGrath Choreographer of the Year, and Christy Krall won the Pieter Kollen Sport Science Coaching award.

Thank you very much for your quick feedback, Sylvia.

Anyway, Congrats on the great winners.
I thought Ms. Charlene Wong could win the Coach Award, too.
May I ask the criteria of the award (if any) ?

(I am terribly sorry for missing the point of this "Edi" Award topic here.)

QUOTE] I am interested in the winner of Paul McGrath Choreographer of the Year Award.
Well, I suppose Ms. Lori Nichol would win this.
[/QUOTE]

Is Lori Nichol American? It seems this whole contest was picking out Americans only.

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Lori Nichol is Canadian.

ETA: I should never have assumed the above based on where she lives today. ;) Thanks for the correction and enlightenment, Nigel!

Last edited:

vlaurend

Final Flight
I am really surprised nothing got mentioned about the Coach of the Year award on IceNetwork.com or USFSA.org. They normally do a little news blurb on it.

I was hoping Charlene would win, too, but since she only has one prominent skater, I wondered if that might have been one reason she didn't (even though that one skater won the Senior Ladies' title and a World Junior medal). Or is this just an anti-Canadian conspiracy?:laugh:

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, Nigel. Here is the direct link to the interview (now if I could just get that AS overlay off the page so I can read it, LOL.)

http://www.absoluteskating.com/interviews/2007lorinichol.html

Actually, Nichol has quite a lot to say about the ISU judging system. I think this would make a good topic for the Edge. If you don't mind, I am going to post this link there in a new thread. :)