The most popular/beloved skater/s worldwide recently? | Golden Skate

The most popular/beloved skater/s worldwide recently?

The most popular/beloved skater/s worldwide recently?

• Sasha Cohen

Votes: 15 4.8%
  • Michelle Kwan

Votes: 103 33.2%
  • Irina Slutskaya

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Kurt Browning

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Evgeny Plushenko

Votes: 22 7.1%
  • Elvis Stojko

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Alexei Yagudin

Votes: 94 30.3%
  • Elena Berezhnaya / Anton Sikharulidze

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • Jamie Sale / David Pelletier

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Others (maybe some icedancers?)

Votes: 21 6.8%

• Total voters

All that Jazz

Rinkside
Lol, it's me again! Looks like I'm a real poll-junkie! This one is a really hard to assess one. The most popular/beloved skater wolrdwide recently! And worldwide actually means worldwide = Northamerica plus Europe plus Asia plus Australia! What do you think?

Smasheroo

Spectator
No doubt! In numbers it has to be MK. She's born in the USA, and of course she has tons of fans there. This is only logical and natural. But in real, "worldwide" relation, which means when it comes down to the most international fans, I'd say Yagudin. If one has a look at his message boards it's fascinating to see from where they all come from; almost every corner of the world is represented!

Last edited:
I think the concern for his well-being put Alexei out in front at this time. Similarly, Rudi. I also think that fans are excited about NNN making a comeback.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
By population I would say Michelle. Conside how big a population in Asia. And the ethnic come into the play.

curious

Final Flight
right now internationally I would have to say Plush. He is the World Champ with many years ahead of him if he doesn't get injured.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I voted for Kurt... though I realize Michelle and Yags are more popular... they're mostly a fad for most (at least they are here in Alaska) where as Kurt is loved by all ages and has been for years...

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
I voted for Kurt... though I realize Michelle and Yags are more popular... they're mostly a fad for most (at least they are here in Alaska) where as Kurt is loved by all ages and has been for years...

I don't think any skaters are fads with true fans, it's just the once in four year watchers who go through skating fads. Where I come from people don't even know who Kurt Browning is, but I definitely don't consider him a fad.

C

Careless1506

I can only describe the European sight of things: Nobody really cares about Michelle here. Yagudin and Plushenko are the stars!

It has to be Michelle, right? A lot has been made of the fact that she is not as universally loved in Europe as elsewhere in the world (North America and Asia, for instance). Still, in the U.S. anyway, she is the only current competitor who has any kind of name recognition outside the small world of active figure skating fans. If you stopped people at random on the streets of, say, Stockholm or Madrid and asked them, who is Alexei Yagudin? who is Evgeny Plushenko? I bet you would get a lot of blank stares.

Leading into the 2002 Olympics Kristi Yamaguchi said in an interview, "Whoever wins the Olympic gold medal, their life will be changed forever. Unless it's Michelle Kwan, of course. She is already as famous as it is possible for a figure skater to be."

Mathman

Antilles

Medalist
It's really difficult to say because I only get the North American persepective. Michelle is definitely tops here, though I suspect Alexei is the most popular in Europe.

Germanice

On the Ice
If you stopped people at random on the streets of, say, Stockholm or Madrid and asked them, who is Alexei Yagudin? who is Evgeny Plushenko? I bet you would get a lot of blank stares.

Right! But you would get exactly the same blank stares if you ask them who Michelle Kwan is! Of course I don't know but I guess the intention of this thread is more about who the most beloved skater among skating fans around the world is?? :confused:

Anke

Last edited:

Smasheroo

Spectator
Maybe we should start an extensive worldwide poll about it, but without asking US-Americans and Russians. There's a slight possiblity we could actually get a real "real" result then. ;)