The most popular/beloved skater/s worldwide recently? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The most popular/beloved skater/s worldwide recently?

The most popular/beloved skater/s worldwide recently?

• Sasha Cohen

Votes: 15 4.8%
  • Michelle Kwan

Votes: 103 33.2%
  • Irina Slutskaya

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Kurt Browning

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Evgeny Plushenko

Votes: 22 7.1%
  • Elvis Stojko

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Alexei Yagudin

Votes: 94 30.3%
  • Elena Berezhnaya / Anton Sikharulidze

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • Jamie Sale / David Pelletier

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Others (maybe some icedancers?)

Votes: 21 6.8%

• Total voters

Rixis

On the Ice
I think it's Yagudin too! Remember, most people who watch figure skating are FEMALE! Heh, heh, heh. No offense, but I find Kwan rather boring. And we are talking about an international scale here. Zooming in widely to Northeast Ohio (my home) the favorite is Plushenko! Unanimously voted that way, as well...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I have to go with Kurt on this one, because he is such a PR man for figure skating. I think Kurt's absolute "joy of skating" comes across to people, even when he is not on the ice! It's amazing. Kurt is so comfortable with any audience and knows how to "bring you in" while he skates. Alexi is a close second because of his genuiness when he skates.

windspirit

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
I have to go with Kurt on this one, because he is such a PR man for figure skating.
No offense, Lad, but I don't think that Kurt is that well known/popular worldwide, especially recently.

I don't think North American Skaters (except maybe Sasha) are well known in Europe. The general public knows nothing about them, and the fans are only aware of Northamerican skaters' names.

For Northamericans,Julia Sebastyn is not known among the general public; is somewhat known by the fans but will only be thought of when appearing in competitions. And she is a first rate competitor. How many Americans, except me:rolleye: know of Sara Meier even among fans.

To bring into the discussion, the emerging interest in Asian figure skating, we are already speaking about Chinese Pairs and Japanese Ladies as becoming the dominant forces. Despite this I believe the people of the various continents will remain knowlegeable of their indigenous sportspeople moreso than other competing continents.

SuperFans like we are in Golden Skate, will be most knowledgeable about all the skaters.:)

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
Of those you listed, I voted for Kurt Browning. But, there really can be a HUGE difference between the terms "popular" and "beloved". Yags, yep, he's popular (by some fans simply because he has good hair!), but not necessarily beloved. I think the army of Plushenko fans does contain a fair amount of folks who think Yags is the devil incarnate! (And YES, I am sure there is an equal amount of rather demented Yags fans who feel the same about Plush!) Kwan, from some threads and posts I've read here, is NOT overly popular or beloved in Europe and other parts of the world. Who knows? Maybe I should have voted for "other"....as in "whoever is hot that moment!"

Kasey

I see Michelle is holding her own, just a little behind Alexei. I thought I could settle it (in Michelle's favor) by going to the MK forum to see how many members they had. Wow, over 5000.

Oops, then I went to the Alexiei fan site and it had more than 10,000. Oh, well.

Mathman;)

Germanice

On the Ice
Mathman said:
I see Michelle is holding her own, just a little behind Alexei. I thought I could settle it (in Michelle's favor) by going to the MK forum to see how many members they had. Wow, over 5000.
.. and ... let's face it!!! ... at least over 95 % of them are brave, patriotic US-Americans. I'm impressed, really! Oh well! :D :laugh:

Anke

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Hmmm....I wonder what percentage of members at Alexei's site are Americans....wait....."brave, patriotic US-Americans." This is silly. Logic would tell a rational person that any skater that spends a significant time competing as a major contender on the world stage will most likely have fans (and overly vocal non-fans) everywhere. And that includes the decidedly evil, undeserving....and Lord forbid, American....Michelle Kwan. :laugh:

World wide popularity is probably for Michelle and Alexei, but personally it's Kurt for me....but also I think Scott Hamilton would be ranked highly world-wide.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
.. and ... let's face it!!! ... at least over 95 % of them are brave, patriotic US-Americans. I'm impressed, really! Oh well!

I never get comments like this. I've watched skating on German, Dutch, French and UK TV and on all of the above the comentators just fall all over themselves gushing on and on about Kwan's greatness. Are the TV comentators really that out of touch with thier audiences, or do a few European non-Kwan fans just assume that their countrymen share their lack of admiration?

Last edited:

beebeeuk

Rinkside
In the UK we are familiar with all American and non European skaters. We see them at Worlds and Winter Olympics, but that's all really.
Although I saw a few non Europeans skating at the Queen's Gala in Nottingham.....

Kwan and Cohen are VERY well known and popular here.
Tara Lipinski is still well-known with the youngsters too.

I prefer European skaters, such as Lambiel, Klimkin, Vplchova, Sebestyen, Meier, and GBR's KERRS!

:D

beebeeuk

Rinkside
I voted in that...that I thought she was rated only "so-so" in Europe, as far as fans go. She's done a lot for skating, whatever people think of her.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Skaters make their mark - like Kurt - landing the first quad in competition and leave their mark on figure skating. They all endear themselves to skating fans everywhere. Figure skating is not a popularity contest. Names like Browning, Cranston, Jackson, Barbara Ann Scott live on in the history books forever and in the fans hearts for all the wonderful moments they have brought us through their individual skating talents. Every skater is unique and deserves our respect for their hard work.

Kasey

Medalist
Actually, even though I had voted in this poll earlier, I'm kind of surprised that Ekaterina Gordeeva wasn't listed. Her grace and courage in handling her loss, and her honesty in her writing, I think endeared her greatly to the American public at least. And considering the fact that figure skating is NOT a really hot sport here in the US much (for Non-American skaters, anyway), and the pairs discipline is less known, I think that is something.

Kasey

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Kasey,

I think what you said about Katya is very true. After Sergei died in 1995 she really gained a lot of popularity in the U.S. (and she deserved it all too!). Her book was a best seller and she did quite a bit of advertising for Target, etc.

kosjenka

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I don't think North American Skaters (except maybe Sasha) are well known in Europe. The general public knows nothing about them, and the fans are only aware of Northamerican skaters' names.

For Northamericans,Julia Sebastyn is not known among the general public; is somewhat known by the fans but will only be thought of when appearing in competitions. And she is a first rate competitor. How many Americans, except me:rolleye: know of Sara Meier even among fans.

To bring into the discussion, the emerging interest in Asian figure skating, we are already speaking about Chinese Pairs and Japanese Ladies as becoming the dominant forces. Despite this I believe the people of the various continents will remain knowlegeable of their indigenous sportspeople moreso than other competing continents.

SuperFans like we are in Golden Skate, will be most knowledgeable about all the skaters.:)

Joe

I agree with Joe.
But I think that Alexei is well known and beloved in Europe as well as in US and Canada. Don't forget Japan, and in Asia.
I am from Europe, and I think that I like more European skaters. So sometimes surprises me to hear from fan of Slutskaya from US. Yes she is super skater, but somehow I tend to think that in US fans only support their skaters, and few the best from Asia and Europe. Well that is probably because how the crowd supports competitors during their skate. I will never forget Vancouver 2001, Irina and Ilia s free program. You could not hear a bee in audience. They skated very well but audience did not respond. The same happened in 2003 in Washington.
I love watching Euros because everybody is supported.

dunja:)