Passionate Performances Propel Poirier and Crone | Golden Skate

Passionate Performances Propel Poirier and Crone

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Passion is the name of the game in dance and Canadians Vanessa Crone and Paul Poirier have it. Their evocative programs pull the viewer right into the spirit of the performance and that ability has propelled the young team quickly towards the top of the international junior dance field.
More

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
Thank you! Great article. :) I was really impressed with this team at Canadian nats this year. Looking forward to watching them compete in the senior ranks. I believe they’ve qualified for a senior GP assignment by virtue of their placement at Jr. Worlds. It will be interesting to see if Skate Canada gives them the opportunity for a second assignment by choosing them over W&P or H-M&C for one of their discretionary spots at Skate Canada in Ottawa.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Since they didn't win Jr. Worlds, won't they be on the Jr. Grand Prix instead? At their ages, I think that would be the better choice.

all that

Final Flight
Weren't they at Worlds? If not who was that wonderful Canadian team who did a great Russian folk dance?

Joe

C&P were at Jr. Worlds. The Canadian teams at Worlds doing a Russian folk dance were Virtue & Moir and Weaver & Poje.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Thanks for this article - great to see the younger talent developing so quickly. I will be looking forward to seeing them in the new season.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
They were superb as a team at Canadian Nationals -- I think a little undermarked -- and I thought he was the most interesting of all the junior Men. I hope his jumps get more consistent, because he is beautiful to watch moving, and if PCS were scored properly, he would have blown out the field in transitions.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since they didn't win Jr. Worlds, won't they be on the Jr. Grand Prix instead? At their ages, I think that would be the better choice.

They obviously felt winning the silver at Junior Worlds was a great enough achievement. There is no guarantee that if they competed as Juniors again next season they would win gold. This way, they are guaranteed at least one GP event and will more than likely get two, and get a chance to solidify themselves as a Senior team internationally before the Olympic season.

I think they have a good chance to displace Weaver/Poje as the #2 Canadian team at 2009 Nationals and 2009 Worlds.

Antilles

Medalist
I can't believe how well-rounded they are as skaters. They both compete singles, which is odd for dancers. They also competed pairs for a time! That amazes me. I look forward to seeing what they put on the ice next season.

C&P were at Jr. Worlds. The Canadian teams at Worlds doing a Russian folk dance were Virtue & Moir and Weaver & Poje.
Ah yes. Got them mixed up. Weaver and Poje were very good in Worlds.

C&P are definitely a talented team and gave B&S a bit of a run.

Antilles - The both seem to have the The Joy of Skating. Hope one discipline doesn't affect another.

Joe

nadster

Final Flight
I really do like Crone/Poirier having seen them when they were novices as dancers and pre-novices as singles skaters.

Paul will really be raking up the frequent flyer points with ( likely ) 2 JGP men's events and 2 GP dance events. He is definitely 2nd on the Canada's JGP list ( behind Balde) as both Jeremy Ten and Ian Martinez have aged out.

I have seen both of them as singles skaters as well. Crone is very elegant but it is a shame she does not have the jumps to be competitive. She did not even attempt a triple at all last season. The fact that she won the Central Ontario section and was mid-table at Canadian nationals ( junior ladies) is more a testament to our weak ladies field. If she even had a couple triples , she would blow away our junior ladies field. Hopefully she can get the triples once she is over the injuries. She certainly will have more time to work on it while Paul is doing his JGP's.

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
Thank you! Great article. :) I was really impressed with this team at Canadian nats this year. Looking forward to watching them compete in the senior ranks. I believe they’ve qualified for a senior GP assignment by virtue of their placement at Jr. Worlds. It will be interesting to see if Skate Canada gives them the opportunity for a second assignment by choosing them over W&P or H-M&C for one of their discretionary spots at Skate Canada in Ottawa.

Crone/Poirier will definitely get Skate Canada. As world junior silver medallists , that is a bigger draw than what W&P or H-M&C could provide.

Most likely Skate Canada will choose Crone/Poirier , Virtue/Moir and the winner of the Nebelhorn skate-off among talented couples with no or insufficient ISU ranking.

At this point Mylene Girard / Liam Dougherty and Siobhan Karam / Kevin OKeefe are the likely ones to get Nebelhorn. That could change based on summer monitoring.

nadster

Final Flight
I think they have a good chance to displace Weaver/Poje as the #2 Canadian team at 2009 Nationals and 2009 Worlds.

Totally agree here. Crone/Poirier were 2nd in the FD. Granted Weaver/Poje fell in the FD at nationals but I still would have had them ahead in the FD even if Weaver/Poje didn't fall.

Crone/Poirier missed the podium at nationals mainly due to the CD's. Not surprising since they were doing junior CD's all season.