Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Multiquote and back-to-back posts

Exclamation Multiquote and back-to-back posts

Several Golden Skate members have recently inquired on the board about the etiquette of back-to-back posts, or of duplicate posts in two different folders. It seems to be generally accepted Internet courtesy to avoid these posting practices.

There are two reasons for this. The first is that two back-to-back posts take longer to load than one post saying the same thing, for people on dial-up or slow Internet connections. The second is that back-to-back posts, without another poster responding between times, gives the impression that the poster is arguing only with himself on the thread, or trying to dominate the discussion.

Fortunately, in one of the recent upgrades to the VBulletinBoard software, a new feature was installed that allows a poster to respond to more than one post at the same time, which is just as easy (in fact, even easier) than making several posts in a row. This is called “Multi-quote.” Here is how to use it.

At the bottom right of each post, next to the “quote” button, there is an icon that looks like a scroll with a big quotation mark in it. This is “multiquote.” To respond to several previous posts at once, click on this icon for every post that you want to quote (it will turn red), then click on “reply.” All of the chosen posts will appear as quotes in the dialogue box. Now edit the quotes as appropriate (if you want to quote only part of a post), and insert your replies between the quotes, or at the end in the case in which all quotes were on the same topic.

This feature takes only couple of trials to get used to, and it is actually easier to use than to respond to several different posts separately. Give it a try!

Moderators may from time to time merge posts for you, if you forget.

Another new guideline that we will be putting in place soon regards the size of images in signature files. These should be no more than 400 by 100 pixels. If your current signature image is larger than this, please resize it.

And while I’m on my soap box… . We all know not to SHOUT by typing in solid caps. By the same token, writing in solid bold, extra-large print, etc., tends to give the impression that the poster thinks that his/her opinion is more important than anyone else’s. This should be held to a minimum for that reason.

Then there is Facts v. Opinions.

But thanks for the heads up on this matter,which originally the rationale was not given.

Joe

Custom Title
    Pretty neat tricks. Thanks for the heads-up, tips and reminders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

And while I’m on my soap box… . We all know not to SHOUT by typing in solid caps. By the same token, writing in solid bold, extra-large print, etc., tends to give the impression that the poster thinks that his/her opinion is more important than anyone else’s. This should be held to a minimum for that reason.
    Thank you!!

Custom Title
    Thanks very much for this info. It will improve my posting methods. I was totally unaware of the multiquote feature until now.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    I didn't know about this feature....thanks for posting this info mathman.

Custom Title
    Thank you Mathman!
    Sometimes I wanted to start a post just to ask about these stuff. This was a very much needed one for me.

Having said that... I have a question.
    I get a red light on the left bottom whenever I am online that I don't see from anyone else. I wonder why...
    Last edited by jyshin; 05-19-2008 at 04:07 PM.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jyshin View Post
    Thank you Mathman!
    Sometimes I wanted to start a post just to ask about these stuff. This was a very much needed one for me.

Having said that... I have a question.
    I get a red light on the left bottom whenever I am online that I don't see from anyone else. I wonder why...
    To answer your question, this shows your status. You are invisible, if you are red. Green means online, and no colour on it means offline. Have your mouse pointer hover over it and the hover feature will show you text of what it means.

Custom Title
    ^ Thank you Blue dog
    How can I make myself 'visible'..?

Quote Originally Posted by jyshin View Post
    How can I make myself 'visible'..?
    Go to User CP (Control Panel) in the upper left-hand corner. In the menu on the left, go down to "Edit Options." In the first field, uncheck the box that says "use invisible mode." Scroll down to the very bottom and click on "Save Changes."

Custom Title
    Thanks now I am visible

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Then there is Facts v. Opinions.

But thanks for the heads up on this matter,which originally the rationale was not given.

Joe
    Joe,

The mods are working hard to ensure that the forum is structured in such a way that not only adhere to guidelines, but cuts out alot of redundancy. Your snide comments we can do without.

What's back-to-back posts? *unsure*

Quote Originally Posted by Eevun View Post
    What's back-to-back posts? *unsure*
    This means the same poster posting twice in a row, with no intervening post by another member.

Like this.

If I wanted to add something later to my post, I should have edited my first post rather than starting a new one.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast