Khokhlova & Novitski vs. Virtue & Moir | Golden Skate

Khokhlova & Novitski vs. Virtue & Moir

Two standout Teams in Gotenborg. One Team reaching out to the audience with fire, imo and the other bringing the audience into their world. Can't help but think they are soooo different, and yet sooooo good. One giving a bravura skate; the other a lyric skate.

Could either K/N or V/M skate in the style of the other?

Can either team stand up against Del/Sho and Dom/Shab?

I think they can, but prediction is out of the question. This discipline is yet another nail biter.

Joe

npa

Match Penalty
Can either team stand up against Del/Sho and Dom/Shab?
I think - YES. And in nearest future :rock:
I prefer V/M more :love:

Antilles

Medalist
I would love to see these two teams try each other's styles. I admire versatile skaters. Realistically, I'd like to see K&N clean up their technique a bit, and I'd like V&M to try any style different from their last two FDs. I know both teams are talented enough to do it.

I think both could compete with Del&Shoe. I fear Dom&Shab are the "chosen ones" for this quadrennial, so I don't know if either team can compete with them.

all that

Final Flight
Could either K/N or V/M skate in the style of the other?

Not sure if Tessa has the ability to pull off characters like a witch from Bald Mountain. K/N need to work on their technique a bit more to skate like V/M.

Yennefer

Rinkside
I think that technically all four couples can stand up against each other and everyone can win with other but artistically at the moment Delobel and Schoenfelder are the best and none of the others can compare with them. Maybe Virtue and Moir could be equal with them in this regard but in the future and probably when they already won't compete so it would be difficult to compare. And in my opinion Khokhlova/Novitsky and Domnina/Shabalin will never be able to beat Del/Scho in artistry. For me both Russian couples are a bit artificial but K/N could do something with that yet in contrast to Dom/Shab.

Audrey19

On the Ice
I find it hard to imagine one team skating with the style of the other. Both teams have their own style which is very suitable for them. But I rather see K&Nskating to a lyrical piece of music then the other way round.
I personnally think that K&N are the better Russian team but they won't win over DomShab. IMO none of the current teams can match up with DelSchoe, but the judges don't seem to think the same way. I fear that none will beat DomShab next season, since they are the judges' obvious favorites.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Honestly, I don't see V&M being able to skate to anything other than the boring, schmaltzy stuff they always use, but maybe they'll prove me wrong. I really hope they do try to branch out some time in the near future.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Honestly, I don't see V&M being able to skate to anything other than the boring, schmaltzy stuff they always use, but maybe they'll prove me wrong.
Is that Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov in your avatar?

Clover

Rinkside
Hi, everybody - I just joined today, but since K/N are my favorite team, I'd like to add my comments.

Could either V/M or K/N skate in the style of the other?

I agree with the poster who said it would be easier for K/N to skate a lyrical program, than it would be for V/M to skate a dramatic one, but having said that I certainly think V/M are capable artistically of doing something more challenging than the smaltzy-waltzy stuff they've been doing the last 2 years. I'd like to see them challenge themselves next year - maybe work with a different choreographer.

I'd also like to see K/N skate a more lyrical program next year - it's important to show the judges variety of interpretation - esp with the Olympics coming up.

Can either team stand up against Dom/Shab or Del/Shoe?

Yes, I think they both can - it depends on if they get the right program or not. V/M have to work on expressing different emotions/getting more challenging, complex choreography/improving fluidity in their lifts and their overall line and extension.
K/N need to work even harder on their step sequences. They made great improvements in this area last year, but they can still improve further.
They also need to really drill the CDs. For most of last season, they lost far too many points on this part of the competition. I was glad to see they put a lot of effort into the CD at Worlds.

I am really hoping for a great season of Ice Dance next year - we seem to be having a lot more interesting teams again!

gocaroline

On the Ice
V/M's free dance this year just took my breath away! They are surely a great ice dancing couple. For me they put the magic into their dance, not just technique.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I would love to see them skate the style of each other because it'd be so refreshing.:biggrin:
But I think at the end of the day, both teams will still be the best in their own styles. I think K/N style is similar to Denkova/Staviski, while V/M's style is very much like their Canadian predecessors D/L.

As for bettering D/S and D/S, these two teams have an advantage over Del/Schoes because of their youth, making them less injury prone and such. Dom/Shabs are a really good team, but they are less popular amongst audiences as compared to these two. Furthermore, Maxim's injury has really affected them the past season. I think it is possible that K/N and V/M can better them, we have to look and see what happens next season of course!

npa

Match Penalty
Yes, I think they both can - it depends on if they get the right program or not. V/M have to work on expressing different emotions/getting more challenging, complex choreography/improving fluidity in their lifts and their overall line and extension.
K/N need to work even harder on their step sequences. They made great improvements in this area last year, but they can still improve further.
They also need to really drill the CDs. For most of last season, they lost far too many points on this part of the competition. I was glad to see they put a lot of effort into the CD at Worlds.!
I think, that V/M have best lines in technick in the world (i agree, that Del/Sh have best ever power and skating skills and Domn/Sh have one of the best lines and CDs). They need more power and more transitions only because a lot off posters said this :) The y improved there liftes a lot and made in last season something new for ice dance liftes (i mean there lift from OD and straight line lift from FD)
As for Kh/N - they must improving there skating a lot - they must work on there lines, on Sergey posture, a lot on steps, on Sergey presentation
As for styles... You know, someone like classic, someone modern dancing :biggrin:But Kh/N, if they show modern dancing, must work more on choreo, wich must be really in modern style. But all teams need to work on there weakness :)
I think, that in next year Belb/Agost could beat Kh/N even they take first place in Russia. Bel/Agosto could beat V/M too (its more possible for me, then Del/Shol beat them)

Coach

Rinkside
V&M are versatile... besides their wonderful lyrical works they have also skated some AMAZING tango pieces with great emotional diversity.