Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59

Thread: Mira Leung next season: Thoughts & Opinions?

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    228

    Mira Leung next season: Thoughts & Opinions?

    what are your opinions of the Canadian Silver Medallist Mira Leung? can she improve upon her 14th place at Worlds last year and acheive World top 10 status? What exactly are Ms. Leung's chances of success next season? what does she need to improve and move into the elite group of ladies? a tripletriple? she did make a dramatic style change last season to a more classical style the judges seemed to approve

    mira leung world sp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwkME...eature=related

    mira leung world lp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6A54...eature=related

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post
    what are your opinions of the Canadian Silver Medallist Mira Leung? can she improve upon her 14th place at Worlds last year and acheive World top 10 status?
    NO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post
    What exactly are Ms. Leung's chances of success next season?
    Slim to none at interntional stage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post
    what does she need to improve and move into the elite group of ladies?
    Everything and I'm afraid she simply does not have the potential to move into the elite group.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post
    :a tripletriple?
    No. She needs to fully rotate her solo triple first.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post
    she did make a dramatic style change last season to a more classical style the judges seemed to approve
    Yes, she did try to change her style, but No, the judges did not seem to be impressed. The PCS of her skating has barely moved at all.

    Sorry for me to sound negative. Don't quote me since I'm biased.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    475
    I have my doubts about whether Mira will even make it to Worlds next year. Phaneuf has been gaining consistency over the year and if she skates 2 strong programs at nationals in 2009 , she will easily go by Mira. Phaneuf's jumps when she lands them are of much higher quality and she is much better than Mira in skating skills.

    This GP season will also be important with both Cynthia and Mira likely to have 2 assignments each this year. If Cynthia outperforms Mira this GP season, the judges at nationals would be more likely to ding Mira for cheated jumps. Mira generally has not been dinged at nationals for that thus far.

  4. #4
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989
    I cannot see Miria improving on her performances this year. She has gotten better with her jumps but she will never be an artistic skater and her body lines leave a lot to be desired. She might make to worlds, and keep in mind that we will only have 2 ladies, not 3, as we did this year...so that is one less skater. I cannot ever see her making the top 10 though.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    and keep in mind that we will only have 2 ladies, not 3, as we did this year...so that is one less skater. I cannot ever see her making the top 10 though.
    Sorry , but this year we could only send 2 ladies. The last time we could send 3 to senior worlds in ladies was after Elizabeth Manley won the silver medal at worlds.

    To send three ladies, the sum of the placings of the 2 ladies sent has to be 13 or less. We have never come close to that low total.

  6. #6
    Custom Title Pikachuusb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    450
    I honestly dont think Mira will ever make top 10, and Cynthia Phaneuf is making her comeback so Mira probably wont make Worlds this year either. Im really predicting it to be Cynthia & Joannie. BUT the ice is slippery so you never know. It should be interesting to see how everything plays out.

    Hurry up new skating season!! I cant wait for the GP much longer!!
    Last edited by Pikachuusb; 05-21-2008 at 02:40 PM.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,567
    There have been rumblings that Mira has once again split with her coach, Joanne McLeod. The last time that happened, Mira had a disastrous GP season.

    I am not impressed with Mira's chances of moving up any further in the World ranking (and that is providing she ever makes it to Worlds again). Her jump technique is awkward and ugly, and her jumps are sometimes underrotated. She has a real problem with her 2A, which is more often cheated than rotated completely.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    439
    [QUOTE=Tinymavy15;320912]I cannot see Mira improving on her performances this year. She has gotten better with her jumps but she will never be an artistic skater and her body lines leave a lot to be desired. [QUOTE]

    I agree with that second statement. She is not an artist by nature. It is simply not in her and I think that is the biggest factor holding her back. When you look at a few of the top ten skaters in the world, they have an undeniable presence on the ice and they move so elegantly and gracefully across the ice. They have a naturalness to their movement and a connection to both the music and the audience. She does not have that.

    As for body line, I don't understand why she hasn't fixed that. She has plenty of flexibility so there is no excuse for not having good lines. Hasn't Joanne McCleod mentioned something to her about it? Or is it that her body type makes it difficult to see the line? I'm not sure.
    Last edited by passion; 05-28-2008 at 12:34 AM.

  9. #9
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,095
    I think rather than trying to be balletic or lyrical, Mira should focus on her style and work it. She has style--it's reminiscent of Tonya, Elaine, Irina, and Liz Manley.

  10. #10
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989
    Quote Originally Posted by passion View Post

    As for body line, I don't understand why she hasn't fixed that. She has plenty of flexibility so there is no excuse for not having good lines. Hasn't Joanne McCleod mentioned something to her about it? Or is it that her body type makes it difficult to see the line? I'm not sure.
    like anything, it is easier said than done. I do not think her body type limits her lines and flexiblity. Bebe has a similar body and she always has very nice, classic lines. A girl at my rink is short and a little heavier than most but has a beliiman and a pearl as well as nice pointed toes etc.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    I think rather than trying to be balletic or lyrical, Mira should focus on her style and work it. She has style--it's reminiscent of Tonya, Elaine, Irina, and Liz Manley.

    Do you think that Pink Panther short program is her style? If so, the judges didn't think so at all!

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    278
    Mira's best chance for a Top 10 at worlds was last year. If she had come close to how she skater in the FSs in her GP events she would have been in the top 10 no problem. I really think her time has come and gone, and no matter how she tries to improve she will not receive good PCS marks. She has already been pegged as we can tell from alot of comments on here.

  13. #13
    Custom Title fumie_fumie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    955
    Internationally, she has gone as high as she can get. However, I think Mira still has a good chance of finishing 2nd at 2009 Nationals and of becoming a Canadian champion after 2010 Olympics. Considering how depleted the field is, the national title will be Mira's to lose.

  14. #14
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by passion View Post
    Do you think that Pink Panther short program is her style? If so, the judges didn't think so at all!
    The Pink Panther could've been in her style, but the choreography didn't suit her. Especially the horrible bobbing head movements that she would do. If it had been choreographed better, it could have hidden her...flaws.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    The Pink Panther could've been in her style, but the choreography didn't suit her. Especially the horrible bobbing head movements that she would do. If it had been choreographed better, it could have hidden her...flaws.
    But I don't think the bobbing head was supposed to be part of the choreography. I think the classical pieces have hidden her flaws more or, IMO, suit her more than the Panther.

    If only she had continued with the Goh ballet. Imagine how much more pleasing to the eye she would be today. I geuss Mama Leung and Mira didn't think that was important. It's too late now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •