Mira Leung next season: Thoughts & Opinions? | Golden Skate

Mira Leung next season: Thoughts & Opinions?

Taan

On the Ice
:) what are your opinions of the Canadian Silver Medallist Mira Leung? can she improve upon her 14th place at Worlds last year and acheive World top 10 status? What exactly are Ms. Leung's chances of success next season? what does she need to improve and move into the elite group of ladies? a tripletriple? she did make a dramatic style change last season to a more classical style the judges seemed to approve :)

:love: mira leung world sp :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwkME1QhqgI&feature=related

:love: mira leung world lp :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6A54rPIJxY&feature=related

fiercemao

Match Penalty
:) what are your opinions of the Canadian Silver Medallist Mira Leung? can she improve upon her 14th place at Worlds last year and acheive World top 10 status?
NO.

What exactly are Ms. Leung's chances of success next season?
Slim to none at interntional stage.

what does she need to improve and move into the elite group of ladies?
Everything and I'm afraid she simply does not have the potential to move into the elite group.

:a tripletriple?
No. She needs to fully rotate her solo triple first.

she did make a dramatic style change last season to a more classical style the judges seemed to approve :)
Yes, she did try to change her style, but No, the judges did not seem to be impressed. The PCS of her skating has barely moved at all.

Sorry for me to sound negative. Don't quote me since I'm biased.

nadster

Final Flight
I have my doubts about whether Mira will even make it to Worlds next year. Phaneuf has been gaining consistency over the year and if she skates 2 strong programs at nationals in 2009 , she will easily go by Mira. Phaneuf's jumps when she lands them are of much higher quality and she is much better than Mira in skating skills.

This GP season will also be important with both Cynthia and Mira likely to have 2 assignments each this year. If Cynthia outperforms Mira this GP season, the judges at nationals would be more likely to ding Mira for cheated jumps. Mira generally has not been dinged at nationals for that thus far.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I cannot see Miria improving on her performances this year. She has gotten better with her jumps but she will never be an artistic skater and her body lines leave a lot to be desired. She might make to worlds, and keep in mind that we will only have 2 ladies, not 3, as we did this year...so that is one less skater. I cannot ever see her making the top 10 though.

nadster

Final Flight
and keep in mind that we will only have 2 ladies, not 3, as we did this year...so that is one less skater. I cannot ever see her making the top 10 though.

Sorry , but this year we could only send 2 ladies. The last time we could send 3 to senior worlds in ladies was after Elizabeth Manley won the silver medal at worlds.

To send three ladies, the sum of the placings of the 2 ladies sent has to be 13 or less. We have never come close to that low total.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I honestly dont think Mira will ever make top 10, and Cynthia Phaneuf is making her comeback so Mira probably wont make Worlds this year either. Im really predicting it to be Cynthia & Joannie. BUT the ice is slippery so you never know. It should be interesting to see how everything plays out. :yes:

Hurry up new skating season!! I cant wait for the GP much longer!!:yes::laugh:

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There have been rumblings that Mira has once again split with her coach, Joanne McLeod. The last time that happened, Mira had a disastrous GP season.

I am not impressed with Mira's chances of moving up any further in the World ranking (and that is providing she ever makes it to Worlds again). Her jump technique is awkward and ugly, and her jumps are sometimes underrotated. She has a real problem with her 2A, which is more often cheated than rotated completely.

passion

On the Ice
I cannot see Mira improving on her performances this year. She has gotten better with her jumps but she will never be an artistic skater and her body lines leave a lot to be desired.
I agree with that second statement. She is not an artist by nature. It is simply not in her and I think that is the biggest factor holding her back. When you look at a few of the top ten skaters in the world, they have an undeniable presence on the ice and they move so elegantly and gracefully across the ice. They have a naturalness to their movement and a connection to both the music and the audience. She does not have that.

As for body line, I don't understand why she hasn't fixed that. She has plenty of flexibility so there is no excuse for not having good lines. Hasn't Joanne McCleod mentioned something to her about it? Or is it that her body type makes it difficult to see the line? I'm not sure.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I think rather than trying to be balletic or lyrical, Mira should focus on her style and work it. She has style--it's reminiscent of Tonya, Elaine, Irina, and Liz Manley.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
As for body line, I don't understand why she hasn't fixed that. She has plenty of flexibility so there is no excuse for not having good lines. Hasn't Joanne McCleod mentioned something to her about it? Or is it that her body type makes it difficult to see the line? I'm not sure.

like anything, it is easier said than done. I do not think her body type limits her lines and flexiblity. Bebe has a similar body and she always has very nice, classic lines. A girl at my rink is short and a little heavier than most but has a beliiman and a pearl as well as nice pointed toes etc.

passion

On the Ice
I think rather than trying to be balletic or lyrical, Mira should focus on her style and work it. She has style--it's reminiscent of Tonya, Elaine, Irina, and Liz Manley.

Do you think that Pink Panther short program is her style? If so, the judges didn't think so at all!

Sackie

Medalist
Mira's best chance for a Top 10 at worlds was last year. If she had come close to how she skater in the FSs in her GP events she would have been in the top 10 no problem. I really think her time has come and gone, and no matter how she tries to improve she will not receive good PCS marks. She has already been pegged as we can tell from alot of comments on here.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Internationally, she has gone as high as she can get. However, I think Mira still has a good chance of finishing 2nd at 2009 Nationals and of becoming a Canadian champion after 2010 Olympics. Considering how depleted the field is, the national title will be Mira's to lose.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Do you think that Pink Panther short program is her style? If so, the judges didn't think so at all!

The Pink Panther could've been in her style, but the choreography didn't suit her. Especially the horrible bobbing head movements that she would do. If it had been choreographed better, it could have hidden her...flaws.

passion

On the Ice
The Pink Panther could've been in her style, but the choreography didn't suit her. Especially the horrible bobbing head movements that she would do. If it had been choreographed better, it could have hidden her...flaws.

But I don't think the bobbing head was supposed to be part of the choreography. I think the classical pieces have hidden her flaws more or, IMO, suit her more than the Panther.

If only she had continued with the Goh ballet. Imagine how much more pleasing to the eye she would be today. I geuss Mama Leung and Mira didn't think that was important. It's too late now.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
How about Poor Canadian fans who will have to suffer through Mira's reign of head bobbling skating after 2010?

Kasey

Medalist
It's not just the head bobbing. It's the horrific, lunging, gorilla-like jump technique as well. She could have the artistry and line of Cohen, Arakawa or Kim, and she would still be atrocious to watch because of the jump technique, IMO.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

I object to the statement "if it had been choreographed better.." Brian Orser did the choreography. It was great choreography. I think Mira skated it as well as she could. She has improved, but still needs work in a lot of areas. We are all quick here to judge skaters, but are any of us out there on the ice?

Believe me, no matter what level the skater is at figure skating takes a lot of hard work and effort. Mira works hard - hey even Brian Joubert was not terribly artistic a few years ago, but he has improved in that area.

I admire Mira's determination.

I just don't see why everyone rags on Mira Leung all the time for not being better than she is. Why not blame all the other ladies in Canada for not being better than Mira?