Evgeni Plushenko in Eurovision!!!! | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko in Eurovision!!!!

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Like a certain amount of Europeans I watched the first semi-final of the Eurovision song contest last nigh and what a surprise I got when Dima Bilan (from Russia) performed his song!
There on the stage was the amazing Edvin Marton!:rock:
Then all of a sudden I saw come on stage a familiar silouhet: Evgeni Plushenko who started skating on stage!!!:clap:
Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyDkvmkuRSQ
Enjoy!

Kinga

Medalist
I watched it too. It looked a bit strange, but I guess nothing will surprise me any more when it comes to Plushenko :)

moviechick

On the Ice
Yeah, the ice was like a 5 by 5 square so he couldn't really do much except wave his arms (I guess that hasn't changed...). Still, I guess it was supposed to be more of an "interpretive" dance. And Plushy has certainly gained a few pounds since he left competition.

The music video was kind of nice though-- at least he did like real moves. Although I'm not sure the violin really adds to the song. It's a little distracting, along with the guy's super heavy accent.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Is this like a russian american idol or somthing? The guy was not a bad singer... but i am getting a little tired of the inspirational "if you just believe" type songs.

The ice was ridiculously small to even wear skates on...bad idea.

moviechick

On the Ice
It's like all of Europe and instead of "unknowns" competing like in American Idol, each country picks a song by an already famous singer to represent them at Eurovision. Apparently, it's the biggest and most-watched music show in the world.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Is this like a russian american idol or somthing? The guy was not a bad singer... but i am getting a little tired of the inspirational "if you just believe" type songs.
Eurovision is in its 53rd year, I think, and remains wonderfully campy. Moviechick already explained it pretty well, but you should be able to find all sorts of info online. ABBA and Celine Dion (representing Switzerland) both did Eurovision, as did may other singers, some famous and others getting their start in what is, indeed, the most watched musical event there is. More bizarre performances include the German entry in 1979 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4OptTvX4I0), Finland's winner from 2006 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6VzdtmrP6Y&feature=related, and Moldova's grandma with the drums in 2005 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksJEGApQNCI.

Kinga said:
It looked a bit strange, but I guess nothing will surprise me any more when it comes to Plushenko
The same can be said for Eurovision in general! Truly, as Eurovision gimmicks go, I've seen far worse than Plushy's 5 by 5 skate :laugh:

antmanb

Record Breaker
I highly recommend that when watching Eurovision or searching for clips on youtube you try to find the BBC version because Terry Wogan's comments are often the greatest entertainment of the entire thing, especially when it comes to the voting at the end and he's noticeably drunk.

Ant

pohatta

On the Ice
It should be pointed out that Russia has never won the Eurovision Song Contest despite their massive efforts. Now they bought a song from the world's hottest producer (Timbaland) and sent an Olympic Champion figure skater to accompany a singer who finished 2nd two years ago. If they don't win now (and I'm quite sure that they don't), what will they come up with next year?

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I have a soft spot for Eurovision since it was during the interval of the final (in what? 1994 maybe?) that Ireland presented a certain entertainment that went on to sweep the world ... Riverdance.

Jean Butler and Michael Flatley in that first performance -- pure magic.

ETA: Perhaps the interval entertainment is actually less wacky than the contestants are? Because that first Riverdance performance was stunning. I've seen video. It's like the audience was completely blown away, no reaction at all for a few seconds -- then storms of applause.

Last edited:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I highly recommend that when watching Eurovision or searching for clips on youtube you try to find the BBC version because Terry Wogan's comments are often the greatest entertainment of the entire thing, especially when it comes to the voting at the end and he's noticeably drunk.

Ant

I so agree!!!!!!

Kasey

Medalist
Sorry, that is one of the most ridiculous things I think I've ever seen. Listening to the actual song is not so bad, but Marton/Plushenko? Along with Bilan lying on the stage and then slithering around in his bare feet? Ugh.

Mafke

Medalist
Oh, my. That was ... not good.

Don't get me wrong, I lurve Eurovision and even love many of its most awful traditions (ooh, I wonder who Cyprus will award 12 points to this year!) but that song gives new meaning to the word mediocre and the other participants had no reason to be there.

Usually it's hard for slow songs to win (and a slow song won last year so the chances of twice in a row are .... not good). Minus massive block voting I don't see this one going far. But then I have a close to perfect record of not predicting the winner correctly (though I did pick last year's winner after the semi-final).

Back on topic, skating wise. Plushenko looks really out of shape (even the arm-waving looked tired). Based on this, I don't think an eligible comeback is realistic.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the link! I have to admit that I like the Russian song and was entertained in a positive way as I watched the group including Plushenko. Not a bad idea, in my opinion.

I´m not very much interested in Eurovision song contest and have not watched the show live for many, many years.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Strange indeed. Wonder why Plushenko, an Olympics gold medalist, would perform in such way? It's good to see him though.

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
Although this song was my least favorite by a good margin. It managed to ..... ween (as the singer would doubtless say). In a way I'm glad. I don't think I could stand it if I had the kind of taste that could win Eurovision.

Look forward to lots of figure skaters in next year's contest.

Eevun

Final Flight
I love this to nuts!!!! I knew it for a couple of weeks and was so excited to see them in the semi-final, I mean, Dima, Edvin AND Evgeni on the same stage, it's like a dream come true!!! They were great, absolutely great and I've kept my fingers crossed for them all week long and THEY DID IT!! WOW!! The song is brilliant too! They're unbeatable! I'm so happy for Evgeni, getting another throphy, quite rare in the figure skating family :clap: :laugh:

CONGRATS RUSSIA!!!!!!

Mafke

Medalist
Yeah, they've dealt with the block voting problem in the semi-finals to some extent there was a better mix of countries in the final.
But allowing everyone to vote in the final just encourages block voting (the Polish tv announcer was announcing the results ahead of the national announcers and right over 90% of the time).

The best idea is to only let the countries in the final vote (maybe tabulating all the non-finalists as a single block). If that encourages fewer countries to enter then no real loss.

Buzzz

Final Flight
Congratulations to Dima Bilan. What an unusual competition. How come we do not have something like that on this side of the planet?!