Thread: Half loop sequences with quads?

Custom Title

Half loop sequences with quads?

Just curious, has any skater ever done a half loop combination with a quad as the first jump? I know it's been done a lot with triple axels like Plushenko's 3A-3F, but I wonder if he ever tried it with the quad.. he seems like the kind of guy who would try that sort of thing. Is it really much harder to do a 4T-1/2L- something (I guess 3Sal?) than just a 4T-3T?

And also, what would half loop sequences get under CoP or are they just considered separate jumps?

I think something like a 4T+(1/2 Lo)+3F sequence would be scored as a sequence rather than a combination -- and that's the problem. For a sequence you only get 80% of the value of both jumps. Under the new point values, I think it would go like this:

4T+half-loop+3F SEQ = 12.44 points.

4T+3T COMBO = 13.8 points

4T and then later 3F as a separate jump = 15.3 points (but uses up two jumping passes).

^^
    The combo gets more points, and probably rightfully so, but aesthetically and probably musically, the Sequence should get higher PCS because it shows rhythm.

Joe

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    if anyone who has ever skated, they should know that a half loop combo is much harder than a toe loop combo. I can easily to 2 sal/2toe combo, but a 2toe/ half loop/ 2 sal is MUCH harder. You have to keep the momentum going and really get a good deep edge coming out of the half loop.

Custom Title
    Has anyone ever done one in competition before or is it not worth it under CoP? Anyone under 6.0 try it?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    Has anyone ever done one in competition before or is it not worth it under CoP? Anyone under 6.0 try it?
    Look at Mathman's post. Because it's a sequence, it only gets 80% of the value of the two jumps, so the points aren't worth it under the current judging system.