New Book | Golden Skate

New Book

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
In IFS magazine there is a small article about Gary Beacom. He says he has a new book out titled "Apology" He goes on to say that it is basically about his legal battles with the IRS.

Does anyone know when his book will come out. I went on 3 book sites, but couldn't find any info.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
No, I have not seen or heard of it yet, but I will keep my eyes open in some of the bookstores. Have you checked Chapters?

megsk8z

On the Ice
If you look in the dictionary under "quirky" there's probably a picture of Gary. He's always done his own thing in skating, kind of made up his programs as he went along (and they were neat! I saw him do four double loops in a row one time), and he liked to wear sunglasses sometimes when he skated, maybe because he spent a lot of time in Sun Valley. Which is where his tax problems started. I believe that he thought he shouldn't have to pay US taxes on his income here, since he wasn't a citizen and the IRS disagreed with him. Gary has principles and he's very smart; it just happened that he didn't win the battle with the IRS.

I also liked the skating he did with Gia where they both had skates on their hands and feet; very different and fun to watch. If there is a book by Gary, I'll definitely be in line to read it.

MinnMan

Rinkside
Gary was on the outs with the IRS, because he did not believe he had to pay income tax. I the IRS thought he should. Guess who won??????????

Minnman

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Gary is a Canadian citizen, he skated in the US at exhibitions and comps and with COI and earned money in the US; However, he did not feel he should have to pay US taxes. The IRS, as you can guess, STRONGLY disgreed and made an example of him, and he was in prison in Allenwood, PA for a few years, then deported to Canada. IIRC, he is not permitted into the USA, but someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think he can visit... just can't skate or do other things... but I could be totally wrong there

curious

Final Flight
Some celebrities think they don't have to pay taxes like us(the little people) because they are rich and famous. :laugh:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
We have a very, very, rich lady that lives about 3 miles north and she tips her beautician 25 cents and thinks she is being generous. That's how they get rich I guess.
I doubt I buy his book. I used to love his skating but I am so disenchanted with him that I don't want to give him any profits.