Fire Spreading To Kelowna | Golden Skate

Fire Spreading To Kelowna

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Fires are still raging in the interior and are now spreading to the Okanagan area. My sister lives in Kelowna. I hope she and her husband are okay and don't have to evacuate. It looks pretty bad.

southwest wind

Rinkside
I hope that they are OK too Lad. I was amazed that the fire increased in size 5 times since Tuesday.

Pray for rain.

ssw

Lynn226

On the Ice
Ladskater,

I just saw some pictures of Kelowna on American TV this morning. I instantly thought of your post. I hope your family is well. Please let us know.

southwest wind

Rinkside
Yes please Lad
The weekend sounded like it devastated Kelowna...how is your sister..do you know yet?
Hope everything is OK for her.
SSW

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Thanks for your concern! My sister and her hubby are okay. They did not have to evacuate, but came close. Of course, it's not over yet. How tragic for some though - 248 homes lost!

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Lad,

I just got back from Penticton. It was total craziness up there, but it was amazing to see watch the community pull together. I was up there for a triathlon and was having trouble focusing on the race, because a race seemed so frivolous in light of the fires. I changed my mind, however, when a Kelowna athlete was talking about how he lost his house. He said there was nothing he could do about the house for the moment, but he had trained for a year for the race and wanted it to go on. Despite all the troubles, the communities of the Okanagan put their heart and soul into making Ironman Canada an amazing experience - the best race out there, IMO.

My heart goes out to all those who lost their homes, but the community seems so strong - I bet they are even stronger after this. I'm glad your sister is okay, and I hope that the fires are contained soon.

tharrtell

Ladskater

Record Breaker
tharrtell:

Good for you! Let's hope so! The people say they are going to rebuild their community - I believe it!