Brian Joubert goes to Platov in NJ | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert goes to Platov in NJ

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I couldn't figure it out, either. Browning has done a great job with Brian Joubert and I'd have thought he would stick with what works (and helps him improve). Maybe something happened between them? Joubert's changed quite a few coaches and choreographers in his career. Of course, this might mean he just needs constant change in his life... :cool:

As for Abt, I thought what screwed things up for him was all the injuries he had. What did Platov have to do with it? I know he works with the Kerrs, maybe Brian can pick up some fashion tips from John - though I'm not sure a kilt would look right on him :biggrin:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I have no idea what you are talking about with Abt. I love both of Abt's programs last season.

As for Brian, i am disappointed that he did not go back to Kurt. I really liked what they did together. Brain's SP was the best he has ever done and I was hoping for something similar for next year.

heyang

Record Breaker
Somehow I missed that Platov is coaching at the Princeton Sport Center. LOL - it's about 5 minutes drive from my house. I went to their site to put myself on their e-mail list for events.

calica

Final Flight
It is Kurt who has decided not to work with Brian, according to Kurt for an agenda too busy (several skaters, shows and family).
There have been many rumors because Kurt's decision has been very precipitated, and between them there is / was a good relation.

skatergirl45

On the Ice
I don't want to accuse Brian of coach hopping but I beleive that is what is happening here. I don't know what happened between him and Kurt......

He should have stayed with Kurt. He improved SO much artistically in the last 2 seasons that he worked with him. Maybe, Brian was upset with his world's performance, but that has nothing to do with his artisic ability, he did amazing in that area, it had to do with his jumps.

calica

Final Flight
I repeat my previous commentary, the only information that has been given of the separation of Brian and Kurt has been that Kurt cannot work with him for excess of work. Therefore, it does not seem that it has been A Joubert's decision. Also I would like that he was remaining with Kurt but he cannot put a pistol in the head to force it.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Here's something I found on a forum: http://www.brian-joubert.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?id=14947&p=1
The thenth post is by someone who says her husband is a journalist in french sport press (L'Equipe) and this is what the article apparently says: (I haven't been able to find the original, will try to)
It was Kurt that took the decision and informed Brian a week before they were supposed to work together, because apparentl he didn't have enough time. In a rush, Brian asked Platov to work with him as he had partly, though very minimaly, worked on Brian's 1492 program. Brian said he thought he had good ideas especially concerning footwork and that there was a good connection between them.

One thing that many people are suggesting is that this is some sort of attempts by the Canadian federation to stop Brian from becomming Olympic champ.
I really think Kurt's a great guy, but this really is suspicious. How come he only found out a week before that he didn't have time to work with Brian????
I wonder if he's got time to work with Evan?
I don't want to jump to hasty conclusions, but this is suspicious, and I hope we'll soon get a full explanation.

calica

Final Flight
The only thing that though you to saying I want to repeat, it is what some fans say without any motive or true information. Only are suppositions.
It is that what is said in a forum can be seen like real in others forums, and nobody knows really that it has happened.

Medusa

Record Breaker
. Brain's SP was the best he has ever done and I was hoping for something similar for next year.

That short program was great. I loved the positive energy it had, the power... Normally Brian keeps a program for two seasons - but this fantastic short we only got for one season, and except for Skate Canada we haven't seen a clean performance of it, though the Worlds sp was amazing to watch even with the fall.

One thing that many people are suggesting is that this is some sort of attempts by the Canadian federation to stop Brian from becomming Olympic champ.

So many skaters work with so many different people from different countries - nationality seems to be a formality in the skating world. I somehow doubt that the Canadians believe that they can stop Joubert from becoming Olympic Champion by advising Browning not to choreograph him anymore.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
The only thing that though you to saying I want to repeat, it is what some fans say without any motive or true information. Only are suppositions.
It is that what is said in a forum can be seen like real in others forums, and nobody knows really that it has happened.

That's why I said I didn't want I didn't want to jump to conclusions and hoped one of them would give us a full explanation.
Like I said, it doesn't seem like Kurt to do something like that but I think there's something else invloved than lack of time, if indeed Brian was notified a week before.

That short program was great. I loved the positive energy it had, the power... Normally Brian keeps a program for two seasons - but this fantastic short we only got for one season, and except for Skate Canada we haven't seen a clean performance of it, though the Worlds sp was amazing to watch even with the fall.

I was really upset when Brian announced he wouldn't keep his sp, but he wants to try other stuff.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't want to accuse Brian of coach hopping but I beleive that is what is happening here. I don't know what happened between him and Kurt.......

Kurt's been adament that he is NOT a coach, just the choreographer.

It's interesting he's pulled back as far as choreography, but considering how much he has to do to get it CoP ready for Joubert and all of his other commitments it's understandable... I'd rather Kurt shrink from skating than shrink from family and other outside commitments...

I really think Kurt's a great guy, but this really is suspicious. How come he only found out a week before that he didn't have time to work with Brian????
I wonder if he's got time to work with Evan?

Considering Evan's in the US it's a little easier... though Joubert could always come to Canada... that being said I don't think Evan worked with Kurt last year in any big way, so I don't see why it's expected he'd work with him this year.

Kurt's pretty patriotic when it comes to his home country, I could see the argument that he would be influenced by Skate Canada, but it is a bit far fetched to suggest that's the real reason, IMHO.

Kurt's a geniune guy from everything I've ever read, and during the short time I got to talk with him. I can't imagine he'd do something just out of the blue. He might have made the final decision a week before they were supposed to meet, but I would think he'd have given more warning or at least hinted he didn't feel up to it.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
We may never know the real truth about it. But Brian will be a strong contender for the gold in Vancouver with or without Kurt. I do like the change Joubert had last season very much, but his PCS was high even before Kurt (God knows why).

We may never know the real truth about it. But Brian will be a strong contender for the gold in Vancouver with or without Kurt. I do like the change Joubert had last season very much, but his PCS was high even before Kurt (God knows why).
I have a theory but am too lazy to work on it to a conclusion: Quad landers in a competition will get higher PCS scores than they deserve (opinion) or that's the way it is with skills. I really believe there is a corelation.

Brian will land a quad more often than not and when he does, he gets high PCS scores. This past Worlds, he deserved them.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
well personally I think that Kurt proabably got some pressure from the Canadian Federation to "make Brian the last on his list." Candians seem to be very nationalistic and with Jeff's win at worlds probably got some heads thinking. Brian was Jeff's closest rival in Gottenborg... and they are thinking maybe in Vancover as well. Any edge given to Brain is an edge removed from Jeff.

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
well personally I think that Kurt proabably got some pressure from the Canadian Federation to "make Brian the last on his list." Candians seem to be very nationalistic and with Jeff's win at worlds probably got some heads thinking. Brian was Jeff's closest rival in Gottenborg... and they are thinking maybe in Vancover as well. Any edge given to Brain is an edge removed from Jeff.

I sure hope this isn't true. National ties or not, this would not be good for the sport or for the relations among skaters. I'm more inclined to think Kurt had a more personal reason for this.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

As the Olympics are approaching I´d say that it is natural that there are more or less patriotic feelings, LOL. Anyway, although the use of a coach or a choreographer is very international, I strongly believe that a top skater might benefit most to have a coach or a choreographer which does not come from a country of a close competitor.