Skating Club of Boston | Golden Skate

Skating Club of Boston

bruises

Rinkside
I'm moving to Boston this fall for school and was wondering if anyone had any info on this club. It seems like this is the only acessable club on the T outside of the rink at my school.

Thanks!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I'm moving to Boston this fall for school and was wondering if anyone had any info on this club. It seems like this is the only acessable club on the T outside of the rink at my school.

Thanks!

I understand it is very good. Emily Hughes is skating there now, Stephen Carrie, and Jenny Kirk coaches there.

bruises

Rinkside
I've looked at their site. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the skating there/in Boston. Or has any other info. It's great that such top skaters train there, but I don't think that'll directly help me. I'm not quite (anywhere...) near that level. And I think it would be weird to pick a coach off a list...

skatergirl45

On the Ice
I know BU and BC both have rinks. Not sure about skating there. Also, SCoB is fine for lower level skaters. I skated there a few times when I was just working on my axel. Just make sure that you sign up at one of the lower level sessions.

Choosing a coach, many of them cost A LOT and since most college students do not have huge amounts to spare, I would contact them to find out their prices, whether they have availability.......

Also, Tom McGinnis is a great coach. My friend takes from him and her skating has improved SO MUCH since starting with him.

Good luck and have fun in college.

Also, if you haven't yet graduated frrom high school, Congratulations, that is an acomplishment in itself!

Tammi

On the Ice
I'm a member of the club. Actually, my whole family are members and we run the gamut of competitive skater, adult skater and recreational.

Not sure what school you are attending, but If you are using the T, we've come into the Harvard stop on the red line and then transfer to a bus that will drop you off very close to the club. It's not in the middle of downtown Boston, sort of on the outskirts by Harvard University and the Charles River.

The club is privately owned, so we have 99.9% figure skating from 5am until 9 or 10pm. Hockey is usually done very late at night, if at all. There are dance sessions as well as freestyle. The dance sessions are open, but freestyle is based on levels. The schedule is pretty good, because you can skate very early in the morning and later at night. If you do not live in the New England area, you might be surprised by some of the costs. As mentioned, coaching can be pretty expensive and the walk on rate for non-members is $16 for 50 minutes. Some of the colleges who have their own rinks, offer free ice to their students, so definitely check that option as well.

As I mentioned, there are competitive skaters who train here, plus we have synchro (currently juvenile, novice & junior teams), Theatre on Ice and Adult Theatre on Ice (both TOI teams are gold medalists). There are membership fees if you'd like to join any of those teams.

If you'd like to send me a private message about anything specific, please feel free.

Last edited: