Mao Asada's beautiful 3 Salcow! | Golden Skate

Mao Asada's beautiful 3 Salcow!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks for posting that! It's amazing that it made some kind of sports news show, though, that a skater landed a jump in practice. I can't imagine that happening here in the US. I feel honored if they air the competition within 2 weeks of the time that it occurred :chorus::rofl:

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Thanks for posting that! It's amazing that it made some kind of sports news show, though, that a skater landed a jump in practice. I can't imagine that happening here in the US. I feel honored if they air the competition within 2 weeks of the time that it occurred :chorus::rofl:

It's not just figure skating. I don't know whether it has anything to do with the current 'popularity' culture in some Asian countries. In Japan, Korea and China, when an athlete suddently breaks through at international stage in a sporting discipline that's rarely competitive in the past, he or she is becoming an instant star and every move is under the microscope of the media. For example, both the 400-metre swimmer in Korea and 110-hurdle champion in China are household names in their countries. Every move is on TV, tabloid paper etc. For most fans it has nothing to do with sport itself. It is just hollywood style enthusiasm and it is crazy.

Hearing the screaming from 'Festa on ice' makes my head spin...

Last edited:

floskate

On the Ice
To be fair she has always been able to land them in practice she does does not put them into her competitive programs.

Ant

There has been no practice footage of her doing triple sals since around 2004/05 when she stopped working on the quad sal. It seems she has not been doing them in practice at all since this time. So to re-learn it in a month is pretty good going!! :rofl:

As for making the news - there's been major talk in the Japanese media about the 5 triple bonus rule and obviously focusing on Mao's salchow-less routines. That's why this is big news over there!!

fairly4

Medalist
sorry, this has nothing to do with salchow.

does she have a new coach yet?

just wondering, because at worlds implied it was temporary no coach, she probably would have one before next season

I think by 2010 Mao will have separated herself from the field for good and all.

Not to put down the chances of Yu-na Kim, Caroline Kostner, Sarah Meier or Miki Ando, and hoping all the best for the U.S. youngsters -- still, Mao won the world championship while getting 0 on her biggest element, the triple Axel, and without a full completement of triples. Think what she can accomplish with all systems go!

In measured sports, it is easy to keep track of the progress that each new generation of stars brings. In 1935 Jesse Owens set a new record for the broad jump of 8.13 meters. In 1968 Bob Beamon jumped 8.90 meters.

In figure skating it is harder to compare one generation with another, but we have every reason to feel that this sport is making progress in the same way that all other sports are. Katerina Witt was the strongest lady figure skater of the 1980s, but she never did a triple-triple or a seven-triple program. These feats were routine for Michelle Kwan, who also brought new meaning to the term "artistry."

Now here is Mao Asada, soaring to yet a new level of accomplishment.

Last edited:
Just thinking - not sure: Didn't Carl Lewis win several goals on Broad Jumping?

On Topic

No doubt about it, Mao is an incredible Technical technician. She should win that phase of the competition. The Gotenborg Worlds, however, showed that even she can slide on the ice while attempting a jump. One never knows, do one?

The Performance Scores, she is definitely up there with best of them, and arguing this will come to naught. It's all so subjective.among the nine judges. However, she may well get a majority in favor if her performance is clean and can persuade some judges to consider her the best in the PCS.

The above is written as Mao against the Field and not particularly against another skater. The 2009 Worlds should tell us more.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Nice job Mao! I have no doubts that she can do them, but it is her worst jump, so she does not want to put it in programs because it is not worth the risk of messing up when it has such a small base value to start with. maybe she is working on the quad sachow again! Keep up the good work!