Summer Questions - Ladies | Golden Skate

Summer Questions - Ladies

J

Joesitz

Summer Questions - Ladies

<strong>Do you have any opinions on the following:</strong>

1. If MK goes for gold in 2004, will she <span style="text-decoration:underline">absolutely need</span> a 3x3?

2. Has TT been as useful to Sasha as was first anticipated?

3. If Naomi N N skates Nats, will she be top 3? top 6?

4. Best chances for the Podium: Jenny? Bebe? Ye Bin? AP?

5. Which 3 International Ladies figure skaters pose the biggest threat to the US Ladies?

Hope you have some opinions on the above and maybe a few more Summer Questions.....

Joe

N

nymkfan51

Re: Summer Questions - Ladies

1. If MK goes for gold in 2004, will she absolutely need a 3x3?
I do think MK will need a 3/3 ... of course, I have thought that before and was wrong.

This is hard to tell. Sasha seems more dedicated to training, and more open to TT's coaching, than she did with Nicks. The problem is she seems to be getting worse in the consistency department. My feeling is that next season will be the make or break one for Sasha. My thought is that if she can't solve this dilemma by then, she never will.

I think she has the possibility of top 6 ... that would be the best case scenario I think.

I think the podium will be Michelle, Sasha and AP ... with Bebe close behind.

5. Which 3 International Ladies figure skaters pose the biggest threat to the US Ladies?
This is a hard one. I'm not convinced about Sokolova. I think if Irina comes back well trained, she will be right there. I would still count Fumie as a strong contender. I'm not sure about a third one. Maybe one of the Japanese youngsters.

Hope you have some opinions on the above and maybe a few more Summer Questions.....

Great thread Joe ... need to talk about something until October!!! LOL

L

Lcp88

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>3. If Naomi N N skates Nats, will she be top 3? top 6? [/quote]
As much as I like her, I don't see a real future for her in competitive skating. If she makes it to Nationals, I'd say she'll probably have a great SP, being placed in the top 6, but struggle a little through the freeskate, where you have to pile on the triple jumps. It would be nice to see her at junior Worlds, she could probably medal there.
Laura

T

thvudragon

I say yes, she will need it, but it will depend on the consistancy of the other ladies' 3/3's.

Yes and no. From a program point of view, her programs are weaker this season, but performance, I would say yes, even though she is still inconsistant.

Unless you've seen her, any answer here would be a blind guess, but I would hope top 6.

I say AP, since the USFSA seems to be on her bandwagon. Personally, I want Bebe and Ye Bin.

Hmmmm... I would say the first would be Carolina Kostner if she develops a style and consistancy. If Fumie stays in, definitely, if she develops some consistancy with her jumps and a 3/3. Hmmm.. a third........ I'll say Liashenko. I think she's been really undermarked, she has great basic skating, and I love her classical style.

#5 is a pretty tricky question because you never know. There are little jumping beans everywhere who might achieve strong presentation to go with.

TV

M

maxell1313

<em>1. If MK goes for gold in 2004, will she absolutely need a 3x3?</em>

Absolutely? No. I would say that if she's planning for Torino, to have a consistant one in the arsenal, and hopefully something other than the 3toe/3toe. It would be good to start trying to get it consistant this year and next year, but I still think she's got so many other things in her favor that 3/3 shouldn't be at the top of the list. Even with the COP.

<em>2. Has TT been as useful to Sasha as was first anticipated?</em>

I don't think so. I think TT partly intimidates Sasha. With Nicks, Sasha had too much free reign. Someone's got to fill the gap, IMO.

<em>3. If Naomi N N skates Nats, will she be top 3? top 6?</em>

After all this time away? She's not superwoman! :D I think her goal should just be to GET to Nats. Anything after that is icing on the cake.

<em>4. Best chances for the Podium: Jenny? Bebe? Ye Bin? AP?</em>

If all the regular players are back and healthy: Michelle, Sasha, and AP. (Although I'd love it if Yebin could sneak in there.)

<em>5. Which 3 International Ladies figure skaters pose the biggest threat to the US Ladies?</em>

Carolina Kostner, Elena Sokalova, and Suzanna Poykio.

D

DORISPULASKI

1. MK and the 3x3. Actually, she does not need it. What she may need are 7 triples, executed however. If there is a place a 3x3 is needed it is in the SP (for worlds).
2. TT - Sasha is more consistent but less physically trained, result, worse flutz. Sasha says she will have a physical trainer next year. This may work! Good luck, Sasha!
3. NNN hit the triple lutz double toe and fell on the flip at this exhibition which sounds like her SP. To get to the top six, she can't fall on either in the SP. I am still waiting to hear whether the lutz was a flutz. She might make 6th.
4. The assumption is that Michelle and Sasha are a lock for one of the 3 podium spots. I think this is true for Michelle. However, Sasha was 3rd this year. If Sasha blows the SP, it is barely possible that she might miss the podium. Not likely though. What will determine the 3rd spot is how AP, Yebin, and Bebe skate in the GP. And the GP is COP graded. My belief is that will favor Yebin and AP over Bebe. AP has to get the 2A fixed though. Yebin needs more consistency all around. However, she is taking a great step by committing to working all summer. Even with all that, my guess is the boring result of Michelle, Sasha, AP, but with Yebin close behind.
5. On the international front? Kostner, Irina, Sokolova. Fumie and Ando close behind. World's is NOT COP, though.

dpp

L

ladybug

Great thread Joe..

Michelle will need one 3x3 to win Gold. There are lots of jumping beans out there and if MK were to win gold without one you would hear the screams "she was given a gift". Also she will have to shake her Olympic jitters and skate her heart out like she did this year. My fingers are crossed for her

I think Sasha will improve greatly this coming season and be more consistant. TT needs more time to get her in shape than just one season. :eek:

If NN gets to Nationals that would be great. I hope she makes it into the top 6 but I have my doubts.

I think the podium will be Michelle, Sasha and AP but I would love to see Ye Bin sneak in there.

Number 5 is really tough. I think Irena, Fumie and S.Ankawa (sp) will pose the biggest threat to the US ladies. However, who knows who might be lurking around the corner. A lot can be accomplished in three years in this sport. Youth seems to have an edge on the seasoned skaters especially with the new judging system - whatever that might be by then.

K

KwanFan1212

Do you have any opinions on the following:

*This is a hard question to answer. I said she did last year and look what happened! She won Worlds. I think it would be good to get one consistant and trained this year and next year if she is working towards Turino but as for NEEDING it next year, that remains to be seen. :eek:

*I don't think so. At least, not at the moment. Her consistancy is still not that great and I think I read that she is not doing full run throughs of her programs anymore. Isn't that what will bring consistancy?! :eek: Maybe this coming year it will be more apparant but she has not been as useful as I anticipated when I heard about the coaching change.

*With Michelle, Jenny, AP, Yebin, Bebe, and Sasha all there?! I don't think so unless she make some amazing progress this summer and fall. I hope she does though! I loved her skating.:(

*Michelle, Jenny, AP, and Sasha will all battle for the podium IMO. :D

*Irina (if she is healthy and comes back fighting), Fumie, and Carolina and Elena S. both have the goods but need the polish and choreography to challenge. :D

**I have another question: Which lady will skate to the overused music this year?!?!? Because some lady will ALWAYS skate to overused music. I think its like a law now.....LOL :rollin:

J

Joesitz

Thanks Ladybug - I had to get some serious thought into the forum. I was getting bleary eyed with the rehash of the SLC Pairs.

Kwanfan - Another good question: Who will use warhorse music? My guess and it's not too serious:) :
Carmen - Carolina Kostner
Don Q - Jenny Kirk
Malaguena - Naomi Nori Nan
Rach - Sasha Cohen
Tschaikovsky - Fumie Seguri
An opera tune - Irina Slutskaya
Music no one heard of - Michelle Kwan

Joe

B

berthes ghost

No. 3/3s are still ellusive for most ladies. Absolutely: No. Probably: Yes.

Anticiapted by whom? People seem to say TT is good at presentation/drama and not at making skaters consistant and or technically improved. This seems to hold true for her an SC. OTOH, people hoped that a dance coach would improve her weak edges, and that didn't seem to pan out so much. I'm gonna go with yes.

No. I love, love, love this gal, but have always remained realistic about her. Even back in 99 she had a lot of problems.

Nats podium? I'm gonna go with AP, she had the best season in 03 of them all.

Irina. Fumie. Carolina.

J

Jaana

<strong>1. If MK goes for gold in 2004, will she absolutely need a 3x3?</strong>

Yes.

<strong>2. Has TT been as useful to Sasha as was first anticipated?</strong>

As a coach no, as a choreographer yes. I wondered about the wisdom of this at once as I heard the news. Sasha already had the artistry and presentation talent, what she needs is a coach for reliable jumping and skating, and the choreography from Tarasova, perhaps.

<strong>5. Which 3 International Ladies figure skaters pose the biggest threat to the US Ladies?</strong>

Irina S., Elena S. and Caroline K.

Marjaana

M

mathman444

1. Will Michelle need a 3/3? I think it depends on what the competiton comes up with. Last year, although a few skaters landed triple-triples, no one did it with consistency in an otherwise well-constructed and well-presented program.

I think that Michelle's decision not to train a 3/3 last year was based largely on taking care of her health for the long term. She may not put one in her program until 2006.

2. Was Tarasova a good choice for Sasha? The jury is still out. As TT herself says, "My job is to train Olympic champions."

3. I think that it would be a miracle if Naomi Nari Nam were ever able to come back to top form. I hope that she can put up a good enough showing to get herself back in the mix and have opportunities to join one of the national tours. She could still be a crowd pleaser in that setting.

4. U.S. Nationals podium? This could be a break-out year for Bebe. Ann Patrice is already there. About Jenny, I worry that, like so many skaters these days, her hip injuries will be a determining factor in her career. Ye Bin has all the elements but, to me, has not yet developed that "complete package" thing that sets a champion apart.

5. On the international scene, Irina is still the only skater who is in Michelle's class, if both skate their best. It will be fun watching the yougsters, especially the Japanese, make their run.

Mathman

L

LAVENDER

Edited to add...NO she won't need 3/3 combo but she will need to do something new to keep the panel interested. Personally I think Michelle sshould go for a 3/3 sequence for herself. However there’s not a cconsistent 3/3 lady out there. Elena and Kostner are close but they’re both missing a lot in there skating and who knows if they can combine excellent execution of in betweens and jumps.

Just hoping.. By Turino she will probably need a combo. If there’s not a big change in the ladies by Turino then I would have to say that she won’t need it.

As a choreographer TT has made a big difference but she certainly hasn’t put a dent in her consistency but Sasha’s getting a trainer so look out next year. It did wonders for Michelle. If the trainer doesn’t make a difference then I don’t know what will. As someone mentioned the jury is out.

I can see NNN making top 6. It’s possible but I think she’ll probably do well enough in the short but not so much in the long. If NNN fully recovers then it will be a miracle. It’s a long shot with the type of injury that she had.

AP will be on the podium. I don’t care who’s on there because I like Angela, Jenny, and Beatrise. It doesn’t matter as long as Michelle wins (if she goes).

Irina will still be there contrary to popular belief with Elena S and Fumie.

S

skatingfan5

Why are people talking about Torino?

I must be missing something here, because the first question was "If MK goes for gold in 2004, will she absolutely need a 3x3?" However, quite a few people are bringing up Torino and the Olympics. I took question 1 to be about Nationals and, hopefully, Worlds next year. If that is the case, then I don't necessarily see lots of people screaming "wuz robbed" if other skaters land triple-triples and Michelle doesn't, yet manages to win again. There were triple-triples landed this year -- and yet Michelle won in clear and nearly unanimous fashion. (If Elena Sokolova had landed TWO triple-triples in her free skate, then I would have imagined more of a split panel.) Anyway, I don't think that Michelle will ABSOLUTELY NEED a 3-3 next year -- but she MIGHT. And having a FS choreographed with 7 triples as "plan A" might be the compromise position. (Note: If she were skating in any competitions that used the CoP, it seems that a triple-triple would be required to get that 7-triple program. Still kind of murky to me about whether or not an axel jump is required in the FS or whether skaters could eliminate it without any negative repercussions.)

NNN: As others have said, even getting to Nationals would be a tremendous victory, given how long she has been away and how serious her injury was. If she gets there, she could do well. After all, AP managed to make the top six with a fall in her SP (and finished 4th overall), so even a less-than-perfect SP could turn out OK for NNN too -- it could depend a lot on how others are skating.

R

rgirl181

Absolutely? No. If she gets in a good number of 3/2s along with her overall improved status, she should still be the gold medalist at Worlds.

When I first heard this, I had mixed emotions. Also, I THOUGHT Tarasova did a lot of things as a coach that it turns out she doesn't, like have a jump trainer and an off-ice trainer. Also, I think Morozov leaving hurt with Sasha's training. I too thought TT's ice dance background would get Sasha into skating with deeper edges, but it hasn't shown up. At first I said I thought it would take about a year for Sasha to absorb TT's training. But now I think it's also taken TT about a year to see what Sasha needs. As I've said before, I've very concerned about the lack of full runthroughs with jumps. One problem in working with coaches with long traditional backgrounds is that the coaches get stuck on their traditions. I don't know, but some older coaches see a muscular ladies skater and say, "TOO MUCH MUSCLE! You don't need muscle to skate. You need right technique." It's true in one way--yes, a skater does need good technique--but with the way skating has evolved, skaters need a lot more strength than they did even 10 years ago. I hope the trainer helps. But I think Sasha really needs a good jump coach and absolutely needs to do full runthroughs with jumps and double runthroughs with jumps. Without these things, I think Sasha will be relegated to the bottom half of the top six. And it's unfortunate, because she is a talented, hard-working skater. One improvement, however, has been her focus on her training. She takes herself and her training seriously now. Also, TT knows the importance of playing politics. Nicks often said he was tired of having his skaters play the roles of pretty girls in pink frilly dresses and liked to mess around with the media. It may have been fun for him, but it didn't help Sasha. Nicks's playing around with, "Sasha doesn't listen to anything I say" just to get the media worked up dogged Sasha as a "willful, uncooperative skater" by many for years. As Dorothy Hamil said in her interview that was recently posted here, much of skating is politics and how well you come off as a Miss America contestant. I think Tarasova has conveyed to Sasha the importance of her image and what she says, that it indeed influences the judges. Overall, however, if Sasha doesn't bring things together next season--fix her consistency, improve some of her technical pecadillos--I hate to say this, but I think she should change coaches. I'm not one for a skater jumping from one coach to the next, and I don't think Sasha is at all the Nicole Bobek type, but if Tarasova cannot help Sasha correct the fundamentals, then I think Sasha may have to change coaches in order to fulfill her potential. Ideally, I'd like to see Sasha stay with Tarasova since they seem to have bonded, but for TT to bring in a jump coach, who may also serve as a runthrough coach, and also the off-ice trainer, which I think is an excellent idea. It's sometimes hard to remembere that TT has only coached two other singles skaters, Kulik and Yags. They already came in with great jump technique. Kulik figured a lot of what he needed in terms of improving his endurance and consistency by himself and what Yags needed was a coach who could bring heart and passion to his skating. So it's not like Tarasova has had that much experience with singles skaters. Anyay, I wish Sasha luck. I find her to be a breathtaking skater when she's on.

With her hip, I agree with whoever said she might do well in the SP but not in the LP. NNN has, IMO, had a kind of legend built up around her that doesn't have much to do with what she actually accomplished. She was great winning the silver medal in '99, but she had a total meltdown in the LP in '00 landing only three triples IIRC. As she started growing she had a lot of problems--not unusual--but with all the demands for her to be the next "it" skater--photo shoots, appearances, etc.--after her silver medal at Nats in '99, she never skated as well again. I wish her the best and thoroughly enjoyed her skating, but I don't think anything except a fully functioning hip is going to be able to withstand the repetitive pressures of training jumps to be consistent. With the depth in the other ladies, I think Naomi will be lucky to be in the top ten, which I say with a sad sigh. So unnecessary and unfortunate that she had that hip injury.

Assuming Michelle and Sasha, I'd say AP. If Sasha implodes again, I think we could see Michelle, AP, and Ye Bin or Bebe.

Irina, Sokolova, and Fumie. I didn't put Kostner because I think she will get hit by puberty this season. Also, Kostner was never consistent this season. She did well at Europeans and that was it. I think what we saw was kind of a fluke. But if Kostner can get consistent, watch out!

Rgirl

L

Lucy25

1. Will Michelle need a 3/3?
I am going to say yes on this one. Michelle herself said last season that if she was to continue for the next season (the upcoming one) that she thought a 3/3 was a must. Who says she hasn't been training one? I think she has, but not really hard so that she doesn't injure herself. I am guessing she is pacing herself, but IS training them. A sequence would be a great idea, but I'd like to see that and a 3/3 (even the 3t/3t), too.

2. TT helped Sasha?
I think so. Next season will tell us a lot, after having the full summer to train with her. I am surprised to hear she has not had a physical trainer before, with her previous injury. I thought there was a fluff piece on her and NNN doing pilates with a trainer several years ago? About the choreography - what has TT choreographed for her besides R&J? Didn't N.M. do both her competitive programs this year? I think it will be interesting to see how much time TT has for Sasha with the Golden Boy returning to competitve training.

3. NNN at Nationals?
I am guessing she will not make Nationals this year, but if she does, she will be very lucky for a top 10 finish. I'd like to hear reports of a competitve LP before I decide this one.

4. Competition for the US ladies?
All the ususal suspects.

S

SkateFan4Life

Good questions! Here's my take on the situation.

(1) At first I thought you were referring to an other Olympic bid by Michelle Kwan, in which case the year should be 2006, not 2004, but I guess you're referring to next season. That being the case, I do not think Michelle absolutely has to have a triple/triple combination in the long program - although that would certainly help her chances - but she should land seven clean triples, and at least one 3/2 combination. If Michelle could manage a 3/3 combination in the short program, that would be a big plus for her.

Without a triple/triple combination, Michelle may be at a real disadvantage against the other women who land them and who also have strong presentation skills. If Michelle wins another World title without a 3/3 combination, and lands "only" five triples, and other women do land 3/3 combos and land more triples, there will probably be a considerable amount of grumbling that the judges "gave" her the title. Michelle may be the favorite, but she must skate very well to defend her World title.

(2) IMHO, Sasha Cohen's programs are much better - stronger choregraphy and a more dramatic flavor - under TT. However,
she hasn't yet mastered the art of consistency. Sasha was the favorite for the US title this January, and she made major mistakes and had to settle for the bronze medal. She was then one of the favorites for the World title, and mistakes kept her off the podium - another fourth place finish. Cohen simply MUST learn to skate clean programs if she has any expectation of winning US, World, and/or Olympic titles. Next year may be a "make or break" year for her. If Sasha makes more mistakes next season, people -- and the judges -- will start to expect her to fall, miss landings, etc. She won't be the favorite at that point. She may earn the undesireable label of "a great practice skater but not a great competition skater".

(3) Naomi Nari Nam is a wildcard, in my opinion. If she can finish in the top six at Nationals, that would be a respectable showing for her. I do not expect to see her on the podium, not with the pool of talent among US women. I had really expected Naomi to become one of the next stars of American figure skating. Unfortunately, her injuries have prevented this from happening.

(4) US Nationals podium. Assuming that Sarah Hughes does not compete at Nationals this year and that both Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen do compete, the third spot, in my opinion, will go to either Ann Patrice or to Jenny. Of these two skaters, I would pick Ann Patrice. Jenny is a longshot.
She might make the podium if AP makes numerous errors.

(5) The three international women who pose the biggest threat to the American women are: Elena Sokolova, Fumi Suguri, and Victoria Volchkova.

J

Joesitz

The opinions in this thread are also well thought out. Can anyone come up with more thought provoking questions?

Joe

L

lil icesk8er915

Maybe, it's too soon to say. If more ladies are putting triple/triples in their programs, then she may need one. But if she doesn't her BEAUTIFUL artistry will probably win the judges over! :)

Yes! I've seen a big improvement in Sasha's skating! Tatiana brings out the best in Sasha, although I was disappointed when she switched to TT right after that "Skating's Fair Lady" article was posted in SKATING magazine! John Nicks sounded like he had a great time coaching her! Either way, I think Sasha is an AWESOME skater!

I have no idea! I've never seen NNN skate before!

I think these ladies definately have a chance to podium! They all have EXQUISITE artistry and are very good technically! If there wasn't that much favoritism at Nationals then I think Jenny and/or Ann Patrice would've been on the podium. But now the judges know these ladies better and will hopefully place them higher!

Fumie Suguri is definately one of them! She skated WONDERFULLY at World's and the ABC International Skating Challenge! I think she has nice jumps! She also is EXTREMELY graceful and skates fast!

Elena Sokolova could be a threat too, but I haven't seen her skate enough to tell! She skated GREAT at World's and has nice jumps!

Many of the Japanese skaters are posing a threat too! Yoshie Onda, Yukari Nakano, Shizuka Arakawa, and many more! They are not only technical, but have good artistry as well!

Thanks for posting those ideas! It's great to everyone's opinions! :)

L

LAVENDER

I was going to ask is there anyone on TT’s team that has skated singles. I think it’s either pairs or dance.