Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Summer Questions - Ladies

Lucy25

Re: Summer Questions - Ladies

1. Will Michelle need a 3/3?
    I am going to say yes on this one. Michelle herself said last season that if she was to continue for the next season (the upcoming one) that she thought a 3/3 was a must. Who says she hasn't been training one? I think she has, but not really hard so that she doesn't injure herself. I am guessing she is pacing herself, but IS training them. A sequence would be a great idea, but I'd like to see that and a 3/3 (even the 3t/3t), too.

2. TT helped Sasha?
    I think so. Next season will tell us a lot, after having the full summer to train with her. I am surprised to hear she has not had a physical trainer before, with her previous injury. I thought there was a fluff piece on her and NNN doing pilates with a trainer several years ago? About the choreography - what has TT choreographed for her besides R&J? Didn't N.M. do both her competitive programs this year? I think it will be interesting to see how much time TT has for Sasha with the Golden Boy returning to competitve training.

3. NNN at Nationals?
    I am guessing she will not make Nationals this year, but if she does, she will be very lucky for a top 10 finish. I'd like to hear reports of a competitve LP before I decide this one.

4. Competition for the US ladies?
    All the ususal suspects.

SkateFan4Life

Good questions! Here's my take on the situation.

(1) At first I thought you were referring to an other Olympic bid by Michelle Kwan, in which case the year should be 2006, not 2004, but I guess you're referring to next season. That being the case, I do not think Michelle absolutely has to have a triple/triple combination in the long program - although that would certainly help her chances - but she should land seven clean triples, and at least one 3/2 combination. If Michelle could manage a 3/3 combination in the short program, that would be a big plus for her.

Without a triple/triple combination, Michelle may be at a real disadvantage against the other women who land them and who also have strong presentation skills. If Michelle wins another World title without a 3/3 combination, and lands "only" five triples, and other women do land 3/3 combos and land more triples, there will probably be a considerable amount of grumbling that the judges "gave" her the title. Michelle may be the favorite, but she must skate very well to defend her World title.

(2) IMHO, Sasha Cohen's programs are much better - stronger choregraphy and a more dramatic flavor - under TT. However,
    she hasn't yet mastered the art of consistency. Sasha was the favorite for the US title this January, and she made major mistakes and had to settle for the bronze medal. She was then one of the favorites for the World title, and mistakes kept her off the podium - another fourth place finish. Cohen simply MUST learn to skate clean programs if she has any expectation of winning US, World, and/or Olympic titles. Next year may be a "make or break" year for her. If Sasha makes more mistakes next season, people -- and the judges -- will start to expect her to fall, miss landings, etc. She won't be the favorite at that point. She may earn the undesireable label of "a great practice skater but not a great competition skater".

(3) Naomi Nari Nam is a wildcard, in my opinion. If she can finish in the top six at Nationals, that would be a respectable showing for her. I do not expect to see her on the podium, not with the pool of talent among US women. I had really expected Naomi to become one of the next stars of American figure skating. Unfortunately, her injuries have prevented this from happening.

(4) US Nationals podium. Assuming that Sarah Hughes does not compete at Nationals this year and that both Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen do compete, the third spot, in my opinion, will go to either Ann Patrice or to Jenny. Of these two skaters, I would pick Ann Patrice. Jenny is a longshot.
    She might make the podium if AP makes numerous errors.

(5) The three international women who pose the biggest threat to the American women are: Elena Sokolova, Fumi Suguri, and Victoria Volchkova.

Joesitz

The opinions in this thread are also well thought out. Can anyone come up with more thought provoking questions?

Joe

lil icesk8er915

1. If MK goes for gold in 2004, will she absolutely need a 3x3?
    Maybe, it's too soon to say. If more ladies are putting triple/triples in their programs, then she may need one. But if she doesn't her BEAUTIFUL artistry will probably win the judges over!

2. Has TT been as useful to Sasha as was first anticipated?
    Yes! I've seen a big improvement in Sasha's skating! Tatiana brings out the best in Sasha, although I was disappointed when she switched to TT right after that "Skating's Fair Lady" article was posted in SKATING magazine! John Nicks sounded like he had a great time coaching her! Either way, I think Sasha is an AWESOME skater!

3. If Naomi N N skates Nats, will she be top 3? top 6?
    I have no idea! I've never seen NNN skate before!

4. Best chances for the Podium: Jenny? Bebe? Ye Bin? AP?
    I think these ladies definately have a chance to podium! They all have EXQUISITE artistry and are very good technically! If there wasn't that much favoritism at Nationals then I think Jenny and/or Ann Patrice would've been on the podium. But now the judges know these ladies better and will hopefully place them higher!

5. Which 3 International Ladies figure skaters pose the biggest threat to the US Ladies?
    Fumie Suguri is definately one of them! She skated WONDERFULLY at World's and the ABC International Skating Challenge! I think she has nice jumps! She also is EXTREMELY graceful and skates fast!

Elena Sokolova could be a threat too, but I haven't seen her skate enough to tell! She skated GREAT at World's and has nice jumps!

Many of the Japanese skaters are posing a threat too! Yoshie Onda, Yukari Nakano, Shizuka Arakawa, and many more! They are not only technical, but have good artistry as well!

Thanks for posting those ideas! It's great to everyone's opinions!

LAVENDER

I was going to ask is there anyone on TT’s team that has skated singles. I think it’s either pairs or dance.

Joesitz

Lavender - Alexei Yagudin!!! But, imo, it was more for him to get a decent routine than for the technical. Tatania is good at that.

Joe

LAVENDER

ok Joesitz

I still consider Yagudin a student and not on the training team but there seems to be only pairs or dancers teaching the students.

Joesitz

Only Coaches of Pairs and Dance

You may be right Lavender about coaches being only from pairs and dance. I just don't know. A former Pairs skater would also know singles technical moves.

I do believe that Alexei came to the US with the understanding that TT would train him. Maybe I'm wrong but that was my understanding.

Joe

LAVENDER

I was thinking

that there's no one there in the imediate team (TT, Maya and her former pro-partner) that are jumpers so who can help with that technical side of things. They certainly know about the overall skating.

mpal2

Joe,

Here's a new question:

I'm pretty sure that Sarah Hughes will be sitting out this season. She made it clear that no competition was like the Olympics every time she competed this past season.

Will Sarah Hughes ever come back to competition? Will the break from skating help her get past that 1 event? Will she find the fire again or be satisfied with what she got?

Joesitz

mpal - After Witt, which Oly champ really stayed in competitive amateur skating? Oksana? Lipinski? I can understand Sarah.

I believe for most little girls, the Olys is a dream. Sonia Henie had so much attention and work. Peggy Flemming had a good deal. Dorothy not that much. The dream is the medal and not much else follows, imo.

Joe

Jaana

>mpal - After Witt, which Oly champ really stayed in competitive amateur skating? Oksana? Lipinski? I can understand Sarah. >

And about Witt I understand that she did not have much other choices because of the East-German Federation. Even if she would have wanted to turn pro after her first Olympic win, she had to stay.

Marjaana

berthes ghost

"The dream is the medal and not much else follows, imo."

I'm not so sure. I think that the dream is the fame that comes with the medal. The main reason why Sarah skated so badly this past season was because she was too busy enjoying her celebrity and all of the trappings that come with it. It's one thing to get up early and skate all day when the carrot is still in front of you. It's another to get up early and skate all day when you were up all last night being the toast of the town and everybody wants to book you for an appearance during the day. Hmmm...do I A) go spend 8 hours trying to correct my flutz techinique which I've been doing my whole life, or do I B) go take some pictures of me giving stuffed animals to sick children. She didn't seem the least bit imbarassed or mad at herself for the way she performed. All she kept talking about was how great it was to be Oly champ.

Tara ruined her future in skating by seeking the gold, but she regrets nothing. Would she give up the fame to have 20 more years of skating back just because she loves it. Never!

nymkfan51

berthes ghost ... ITA with you.
    Sarah could have been a serious contender this year if she had wanted it ... she didn't. Other things were more important, and that's fine. Noone would hold anything against her for wanting to enjoy the perks of the Oly Champ. I just wish she would have been honest about this, and given someone else a chance to go to Worlds who was serious about competing.
    You're right about Tara too. She basically sacrificed her future skating career (and maybe her health too) to win the Oly gold medal. And she seems to have absolutely no regrets about this.

Lucy25

<strong>After Witt, which Oly champ really stayed in competitive amateur skating? Oksana? Lipinski? I can understand Sarah.</strong>
    The only difference is that those skaters had National and World titles to their name. Sarah has neither. I wish she would have scaled back the fun this year and trained more so that she could have another title, or at least looked more competitive. But her decision is her decision, and we must repect that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast