Summer Questions - Ladies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Summer Questions - Ladies

J

Joesitz

Re: Summer Questions - Ladies

Lavender - Alexei Yagudin!!! But, imo, it was more for him to get a decent routine than for the technical. Tatania is good at that.

Joe

L

LAVENDER

ok Joesitz

I still consider Yagudin a student and not on the training team but there seems to be only pairs or dancers teaching the students.

J

Joesitz

Only Coaches of Pairs and Dance

You may be right Lavender about coaches being only from pairs and dance. I just don't know. A former Pairs skater would also know singles technical moves.

I do believe that Alexei came to the US with the understanding that TT would train him. Maybe I'm wrong but that was my understanding.

Joe

L

LAVENDER

I was thinking

that there's no one there in the imediate team (TT, Maya and her former pro-partner) that are jumpers so who can help with that technical side of things. They certainly know about the overall skating.

M

mpal2

Joe,

Here's a new question:

I'm pretty sure that Sarah Hughes will be sitting out this season. She made it clear that no competition was like the Olympics every time she competed this past season.

Will Sarah Hughes ever come back to competition? Will the break from skating help her get past that 1 event? Will she find the fire again or be satisfied with what she got?

J

Joesitz

mpal - After Witt, which Oly champ really stayed in competitive amateur skating? Oksana? Lipinski? I can understand Sarah.

I believe for most little girls, the Olys is a dream. Sonia Henie had so much attention and work. Peggy Flemming had a good deal. Dorothy not that much. The dream is the medal and not much else follows, imo.

Joe

J

Jaana

>mpal - After Witt, which Oly champ really stayed in competitive amateur skating? Oksana? Lipinski? I can understand Sarah. >

And about Witt I understand that she did not have much other choices because of the East-German Federation. Even if she would have wanted to turn pro after her first Olympic win, she had to stay.

Marjaana

B

berthes ghost

"The dream is the medal and not much else follows, imo."

I'm not so sure. I think that the dream is the fame that comes with the medal. The main reason why Sarah skated so badly this past season was because she was too busy enjoying her celebrity and all of the trappings that come with it. It's one thing to get up early and skate all day when the carrot is still in front of you. It's another to get up early and skate all day when you were up all last night being the toast of the town and everybody wants to book you for an appearance during the day. Hmmm...do I A) go spend 8 hours trying to correct my flutz techinique which I've been doing my whole life, or do I B) go take some pictures of me giving stuffed animals to sick children. She didn't seem the least bit imbarassed or mad at herself for the way she performed. All she kept talking about was how great it was to be Oly champ.

Tara ruined her future in skating by seeking the gold, but she regrets nothing. Would she give up the fame to have 20 more years of skating back just because she loves it. Never!

N

nymkfan51

berthes ghost ... ITA with you.
Sarah could have been a serious contender this year if she had wanted it ... she didn't. Other things were more important, and that's fine. Noone would hold anything against her for wanting to enjoy the perks of the Oly Champ. I just wish she would have been honest about this, and given someone else a chance to go to Worlds who was serious about competing.
You're right about Tara too. She basically sacrificed her future skating career (and maybe her health too) to win the Oly gold medal. And she seems to have absolutely no regrets about this.

L

Lucy25

<strong>After Witt, which Oly champ really stayed in competitive amateur skating? Oksana? Lipinski? I can understand Sarah.</strong>
The only difference is that those skaters had National and World titles to their name. Sarah has neither. I wish she would have scaled back the fun this year and trained more so that she could have another title, or at least looked more competitive. But her decision is her decision, and we must repect that.

S

sk8cynic

I'll hold back on replying to the questions Joe posted - most of what I would say has already been said ;) !

My question: We've discussed the American Ladies - both the A-Team and the "B-Team" to no end, but I am curious about the up and coming Russian Ladies.

I figure Irina, Elena, and Vika will all be back, but what about their next generation? I will be curious to see where Ludmilla Nelidina will turn up in the rankings. How much improvement do you anticipate in her carriage, presence, expression, and choreography next season? Do you think she could be a dark-horse contender for the podium? She did amazingly well last season, considering her ungainliness and lackluster presentation, but does she have the goods to develop into a top elite skater? What do you think?

R

rgirl181

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Tara ruined her future in skating by seeking the gold, but she regrets nothing.[/quote] I have a specific question to Berthes Ghost and others who agree with this: As Tara was training for the Olympics, do you think she <em>knew</em> she was causing permanent damage to her hip by doing the 3lp/3lp that would cause her to have constant pain for years, require surgery, and be unable to skate at the elite level ever again? Or do you think she was a driven athlete who was used to pushing herself just like the other elite skaters and expected that the pain she was experiencing doing the 3lp/3lp would subside once she turned pro and stopped doing them?

I hope this doesn't come across as a "hidden agenda" question because it isn't. I just see a lot of people post things that are very similar to "Tara ruined her body training for the Olympics" and I'm very curious as to whether people think she knew what the consequences were or not.

Also, my interest was piqued because in the most recent issue of <em>International Figure Skating</em> (Aug. '03, their 50th issue), they have a section on their five top selling issues with a little article about the person on the cover. In the article on Lipinski she says about her hip, "It's a day-to-day process. Sometimes you think it's really good, and then you wake up and do the slightest thing, and you're set back for a little while. I'm trying to deal with it. But I want my fans to know, I could never leave skating. Skating is a passion of mine, and I'll always be in the sport."
Then there's some stuff about her acting and that some "big announcement" may be on the horizon but she's not ready to even drop a hint.
The final quote and end of the article is, "I'll never leave skating. But I also want an acting career."

BTW, the order of the five top selling issues are as follow; they show the cover as it was and then show a photo of the skater(s) as they look today:
1. Michelle Kwan, Jan/Feb '02. The photo is one with her in a white shirt, unbuttoned a bit at the top and at the bottom enough to show a little belly, a red belt, and jeans, with Michelle looking very sexy and ready to "take it on." The "Michelle Today" photo is a beautiful candid photo of her wearing a black sleeveless top with cut-off shoulders and a turtleneck with a long straight skirt that has a patch-work Asian pattern design in maroons, browns, silver-grays, white (to highlight the some of the patterns), and a loose ribbon-like black belt that hangs loose around a slightly high waist. (I WANT that skirt! Though I wouldn't do anything in the same galaxy to what Michelle does for it. Mathman, this one's a 6.0 in my book;) ) Michelle looks great in both photos but I really like the "Michelle Today" one. To me it's as if she's grown into everything: her personality, her looks, her body, her spirituality, everything, and even in what is clearly a candid shot taken at a reception, Michelle looks absolutely drop dead gorgeous and stunning in that outfit.
2. Oksana Baiul, Jan/Feb '96. Oksana is in a gray sweater, blue pants, and tennis shoes, looking very casual sitting on the grass with her legs crossed. Oksana's smile and body language certainly bely the tumult that was going on inside at that time. The "Oksana Today" photo is of her doing a move on the floor where she is sitting on one knee, arching her back, and grabbing the skating of the other leg to bring it to the back of her head--a move I believe she did in "Arabian." She's still blonde in the photo so it must be several months old, but she looks beautiful and fit.
3. Grishuk & Platov:eek: Dec/Jan '97. I'm just joking about the:eek: . It's easy to forget how popular they were from '96 to '98. Hightlights of the article, which is relatively long: Oksana has dropped Pasha because she said it was more like an Olympic stage name. She is thrilled being a mother. She and Evgeny had not spoken since the break up until the summer of 2002, shortly before her baby was born. They both say they have a friendly relationship now but have no plans to skate together. Evegeny emphasized how happy he was coaching Chait & Sakhnovsky, so obviously this was written before they went back to Tarasova. The "Grishuk & Platov Today" photos are separate, one of Oksana with her baby and one of Evgeny with Chait & Sakhnovsky. I had kind of a crush on Evgeny when he was skating and I hate to say this, but he's starting to look a little jowely at 35. I saw him close up in '99 and I kind of wish I hadn't. The make-up, lighting, and long shots hide a LOT of wrinkles. I should talk though:lol: But the way he did the paso doble still ranks as the second or third best "sexual alpha male on the ice" I've ever seen. Anyway, I hope he's happy with whomever he's coaching now and I hope Grishuk has been forgiven enough by the figure skating world and the fans, and is now together enough that she can contribute her talent and knowledge to skating in some way.
4. Tara Lipiniski, Jan/Feb '99. In the cover photo from '99, Tara's hair pinned is up and she looks very much like a 15-16yr (or younger) skater or dancer. The "Tara Today" photo is a black-and-white though slightly sepia toned shot of Tara, arms crossed, white shirt, jeans, a little belly showing, hair shoulder-length and wild, with a whole look of, "Baby, here I am." Tara still looks more 16-17 than 21, but she is certainly beautiful, and I keep thinking of how happy she'll be to look 30 when she's 45, lol.
5. Anybody want to take a guess?
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

5. Lu Chen, Nov/Dec '98. On the cover Lulu is wearing a lime green and black striped long-sleeved shirt that ties just below the sternum, leaving her with a very sexy and revealing neckline and waist. Her hair is long and, holy moly, is she ever a beautiful young woman. In the article she talks about offers she's received to do movies in China, though things are on hold right now because of the SARS virus--yeesh! She's also traveling to Hong Kong and Australia to do coaching and choreography seminars. For the last two years she's been working in Connecticut with her former SOI castmate, boyfriend, and '92 Olympic pairs silver medalist Denis Petrov, although no plans for a wedding just yet. The "Lu Chen Today" photo shows Lulu in a plain gray long-sleeved sweater with her arms crossed up and behind her head. Her long hair has some subtle highlights in it and the 26-yr-old Chen has a beautiful "come hither" look on her face. I think she could be great in movies so I hope that works out. Lulu says she can't really say what kind of movies she would prefer since she's never done one, but said, "...<em>actually</em> I do like comedies more." Lu Chen and Chow Yung Fat in a Chinese version of "Pretty Woman" directed by Ang Lee--I'd go see it:D

Rgirl

J

Jaana

<strong>After Witt, which Oly champ really stayed in competitive amateur skating? Oksana? Lipinski? I can understand Sarah.</strong>

>Lucy25
The only difference is that those skaters had National and World titles to their name. Sarah has neither. I wish she would have scaled back the fun this year and trained more so that she could have another title, or at least looked more competitive. But her decision is her decision, and we must repect that. >

I would believe that after having won the Olympic gold medal the glory of winning a National title (or even a World gold) might not look such an exciting matter for a skater? Especially if she also is very interested in continuing her studying like Sarah does.

Marjaana

J

Joesitz

Sk8cynic - By all means, the Russian Gals! Give a question for each one. If you have the time, add a question for each of the Japanese Gals, and let's not forget, the Italian Gal. But we need a question for each.

Joe

A

ApacheApache

**deleted**

Sorry, posted twice.

A

ApacheApache

I can only attempt question #1: If MK goes for gold in 2004, will she absolutely need a 3x3?

I'd say, no, she will not absolutely need a 3/3. Maybe, but definitely not "absolutely". My view is based on the track records of the performances of the top ladies against Michelle. Looking at Michelle's jump statistics, in major competitions she has done no less than 6 triples consistently, which in a way is indicative of her technical prowess. Many of us forget just how difficult it is to deliver a clean 6 or 7 triple program probably because Michelle's incredible consistency has spoilt us. If it's so easy as many people would like to think it is, how many elite skaters in the past 3 years have done 2 or more clean 6-7 triple programs each year? Only Sarah and Irina (correct me if I'm wrong). Sorry, and of course Michelle, since 1995!

Michelle's technical marks for a clean 6-7 triple program are beaten probably by a small margin by others who have 3/3's, quads...etc. With presentation coming into the picture, Michelle's consistent solid performance in presentation can easily beat others and she will win with the overall marks. The only lady who can truly challenge Michelle is Irina because she has shown, on a good day, she can match or beat Michelle's presentation. I would like to put Sasha in the same breath with Irina but her inconsistency in her technical performance is too hard to ignore. I'm speaking from my observation in other sports. I don't think Sasha can suddenly put together mentally next season and consistenly put out one clean program after another ala Michelle. In a nutshell, only Irina can beat Michelle but as of late, she has been under a mini slump (even before her mother's illness). Can she come back? Maybe.

Until those skaters including Elena can narrow their presentation gap with Michelle's, not necessarily bettering hers, all Michelle needs is an inspired clean 6-7 triple program and she can deliver that based on her track records. I could have missed something, otherwise I strongly believe so.:D

But I certainly don't think Michelle thinks like I do and rests on her laurels.

B

blondeanglskater

<strong>1. If MK goes for gold in 2004, will she absolutely need a 3x3?</strong>
I dont think so, she didnt have it this year and she still won Nationals and Worlds, Unless someone landed a 3x3 and skates a all together great program with no mistakes and can match or close to match her artistry then i think no.

<strong>2. Has TT been as useful to Sasha as was first anticipated?</strong>
I think she has been, though know her jumps are not consistent still she landed a 3x3 in comp[itition for the first time and her new style on the ice and footwork are amazing!

<strong>3. If Naomi N N skates Nats, will she be top 3? top 6? </strong>
Naomi is a great skater, who I was very impressed by several years ago, i have remained a fan of her and have faith in her but coming back from the injury going into Nats it would have been 4 years since she has been there, a lot has changed and other skaters have had that time to improve a lot while she has not, i would LOVE to see Naomi make it to Nationals and if she does I think ANY placement would have been a huge accomplisment

<strong>4. Best chances for the Podium: Jenny? Bebe? Ye Bin? AP?</strong>
I think AP has a good chance to make the top 3 next year as long as she skates clean and doesnt mess up under pressure. I would love to see Bebe in the top 4, but i think anything in the top 6 would be good and about right for her, i think jenny has a good chance for the top 4 and ye bin is good but doesnt have as much expeirence so i say top 6 for her.

<strong>5. Which 3 International Ladies figure skaters pose the biggest threat to the US Ladies?</strong>
I would say Irina and Elena i mean worlds was the first time i ever saw Elena and she is good! Irina is also really good and she has always been a threat.

M

MSI83

I disagree that Hamill did not have a good deal afeter her Olympic win. She decided to pursue a world title, then went pro. She had no other choice, since skaters didn't make money as amaturs. Michelle has the opportunity to go on, becuase she makes a ton of money. In any case she's had a great career imo.

As far as Sarah Hughes is concerned I think she may come back 1 season (in between college) and gauge her results there. so who knows, she still has plenty of time to decide on life.

B

berthes ghost

" I have a specific question to Berthes Ghost and others who agree with this: As Tara was training for the Olympics, do you think she knew she was causing permanent damage to her hip by doing the 3lp/3lp that would cause her to have constant pain for years, require surgery, and be unable to skate at the elite level ever again? "

No.

"Or do you think she was a driven athlete who was used to pushing herself just like the other elite skaters and expected that the pain she was experiencing doing the 3lp/3lp would subside once she turned pro and stopped doing them?"

No.

-I think that she wanted to win the gold.
-I think that she thought that she needed the 3r/3r to win.
-I think that she is anywhere from a prefectionist to an absessive compuslive. 50 times a day when even her coach and parents told her to calm down? I don't think that the average athlete would do that.
-IIRC, she didn't have pain until the Oly season. At that point she was probably so close she could taste it, so how could she stop then and take a breather. Especially not with her personality.
-Also IIRC she was misdiagnosed, so she probably didn't know how serious it was at the time.

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm explaining myself.

I certainaly don't think she had any idea she was doing the damage she was. It's only in hindsight that we now know how much her ambition cost her.

OTOH, I don't think she was totally innocent either. I don't think that every girl who practices triples or 3/3s is headed for the same. She overdid it. That's just her personality.

I also think that a lot of the severity of her condition is due to the fact that she didn't slow it down after she went pro. Well, at least not enough. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20.

I feel bad for her. She trusted her gut and she made some bad decisions. Well, bad for someone like me. She obviously regrets nothing.

J

Joesitz

<span style="text-decoration:underline">The Tara Question</span>

This is, to me, all conjecture unless somebody has some direct quotes from Tara.

I think she was driven to win. That would please Pat no end. Her choreography was carefully planned to hide some troubling basics. She did not try to skate a la Kwan, she chose the coquette style of a little girl who just adored figure skating (she did it well). Prayers to St. Theresa worked.

At some point she must have known the hip was in bad shape. It just doesn't happen after someone pins a gold medal on you. I'm almost convinced she had to decide before the Olys whether or not to have surgery. Whether the surgeons advised her correctly or not, we just don't know.

After the Olys, her public wish was to be with her parents, so she was not going to stay amateur. Yet, she went into a travelling ice show.

I don't think we will know the whole story of Tara so conjecture is about all we can get.

Joe