Readers' Choice -- Which U.S. skater had the best season? | Golden Skate

Readers' Choice -- Which U.S. skater had the best season?

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Yeah, Bebe Liang is the first name that pops into my mind, too.

The said poll is a farce, I'm not wasting my time on it this year.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I voted for Bebe, but I think Marai had the best year. She swept the JGP circut, got the highest SP score ever at Nationals and won the title, and medaled at the Junior Worlds. If can be argued that Caroline had a better year, she made the splash into the senior GP and had the skate of her year at nationals and got the silver at the junior worlds... also Racheal won the worlds... and placed second at nats... but really i think marai had the best year.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I voted for Mirai:love: although Bebe & Caroline had great years too. Ive heard alot of people are voting for Johnny as well.

sillylionlove

Medalist
While I am not voting in the poll...I would have to say Steven Carriere. He came up from juniors....he did very well in the Grand Prix series...at Nationals and at Worlds.

Yeah, Bebe Liang is the first name that pops into my mind, too.
Well, I voted my other email address for Samuelson and Bates. :rock: :rock:
The said poll is a farce, I'm not wasting my time on it this year.
No, it's cool, because the winner gets the Michelle Kwan Trophy. This is the only popularity contest going where the most popular person is ineligible because she is too popular. They had to do it this way, so she wouldn't keep on winning the trophy 100 years from now posthumously. ;)

For me, it was Rachael Flatt - Gold Medalist at Juniors. She was the least favorite among the favorite Americans to win that competition - but she did, Blanche.

Joe

vlaurend

Final Flight
Hard to choose between Mirai and Johnny, but since Mirai won Senior Nationals her first year as a Senior (with a record breaking SP score) and then went on to win a silver medal at Jr. Worlds, I say she gets it! :agree:

Kasey

Medalist
I voted Johnny Weir. Two wins on the GP circuit, a tie at Nationals for first and his first world medal.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
For me, it was Rachael Flatt - Gold Medalist at Juniors. She was the least favorite among the favorite Americans to win that competition - but she did, Blanche.

Joe

Joe, I am in total agreement with you. Rachel Flatt had the most successful season in my opinion and totally deserves the award. Coming in a close second are the pair team of McLaughlin and Brubaker imho.

ChrisH

On the Ice
I voted for Caroline Zhang. However, if I had put some more thought into the non-ladies, I'd have voted for Belbin&Agosto. Weir would get my vote for best comeback of the year.

london_calling

On the Ice
I thought Johnny had a great season but in the end I voted for Rachael.

She improved so much from the 06/07 season and was delivering clean, consistent programs the whole season. I became a fan after her performances at the 2007 nationals and it was just great to see her do so well and accomplish so much this season.

Last edited:
I voted for Caroline Zhang. However, if I had put some more thought into the non-ladies, I'd have voted for Belbin&Agosto. Weir would get my vote for best comeback of the year.
I don't think Weir went anywhere to comeback. The term comeback usually means someone who has been absent for at least as season. Think Irina. in 2006 who garnered so many GPs.and had all dthe judges wild about the Bielman positions everywhere. That was a comeback.

Weir, imo, improved his consistency but it was never really bad. His style has changed slightly but no where near what it was for Otonal. JMO.

Joubert, for me, skated the most improved skater in 2008.

If this all about Americns,then I reiterate Rachael Flatt.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Johnny Weir's reaction after his LP at US Nationals said it all for me... he'd get my vote if I were voting.

Angelluv

Rinkside
There are a lot of good skaters on that ballot, but I think Johnny and Adam had great seasons this year! :clap:

I'm reading many opinions but they all stop short of what was it about the favorite that made him/her the best this past season.

Many skaters had excellent skates but what was it about your choice that made him/her special?

My choice for Rachael Flatt was as i stated before:

For me, it was Rachael Flatt - Gold Medalist at Juniors. She was the least favorite among the favorite Americans to win that competition - but she did,

I have nothing against Johnny but I did not see anything special about his season. What are the reasons?

Joe