Ice Wars - date and skaters | Golden Skate

Ice Wars - date and skaters

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
http://www.pepsiarena.com/index.cfm?a=10003&EventCategory=10003

Excerpt:

>OLAY presents ICE WARS: NORTH AMERICA VS. THE WORLD, will be taped by CBS for prime-time broadcast in late November. “Ice Wars” will be live at Pepsi Arena in Albany, NY. on Thursday, Nov. 13, 2003 at 7pm. The competition will pit the best in North America against the best in the World. The North American squad will consist of, Olympic Gold Medalist Brian Boitano, Four -Time World Champion Kurt Browning, US Champion Nicole Bobek, and Olympic Gold Medalists Jamie Sale and David Pelletier. The World Team will feature Olympic Gold Medalist Victor Petrenko, Olympic Gold Medallist Ilia Kulik, Olympic Gold Medallist Oksana Baiul and Olympic Gold Medalists Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze. >

Marjaana

Last edited:

aly*cutie

On the Ice
the link doesn't work for me :(

But I can't wait for Ice Wars!! :) I'm gonna miss Tara being in it though.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Sorry, now the URL works! And you have to scroll down a bit for Ice Wars link on that page.

Marjaana

Norlite

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
When did USA morph into North America? Kurt used to skate for the world team.

I think it morphed when S/P and B/S came into the picture. More exciting to have a rematch.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
No clash of the Titans this year? Brian and Kurt on the SAME TEAM... we all know who gets to keep his "team Captain" title... Mr. Boitano *pouts*

I don't like it... don't like it at all! *pouts*

why no ice dance?

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
No clash of the Titans this year? Brian and Kurt on the SAME TEAM... we all know who gets to keep his "team Captain" title... Mr. Boitano *pouts*

I don't like it... don't like it at all! *pouts*

why no ice dance?

True...but we will get to see Kurt compete against his old rival Viktor Petrenko for the first time in years! That should be just as exciting as the Kurt/Boitano rivalry.

BTW, anyone else think "North America vs. the former Soviet Union" would be a better name for this year's Ice Wars? :D

And yes, if Ice Wars has pairs this year (a very good idea, IMO) why not ice dance as well? B&K for the North American team vs. either D&V or A&P for the Soviet...uh, World team would be a pretty exciting matchup.

BTW, as much as I'm looking forward to seeing S&P and B&S compete in the same event for the first time since the Olympics, I just hope all the inevitable hype/SLC rehash surrounding it won't overshadow the other skaters competing (or result in any of them getting chacked!)

S

SkateFan4Life

The two women are Oksana Baiul and Nicole Bobek? What??

Hopefully, both of these women will be in competitive shape so they can go out there and skate clean, strong performances. I've seen Bobek blow so many competitions with falls, spills, and doubling and singling of planned triples, and Baiul, bless her heart, is still trying to stage a comeback.

And since when is Boitani and Browning on the same team???
Why isn't the US presenting its own team?

Where is everybody??

astimegoesby

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
The two women are Oksana Baiul and Nicole Bobek? What??

Hopefully, both of these women will be in competitive shape so they can go out there and skate clean, strong performances. I've seen Bobek blow so many competitions with falls, spills, and doubling and singling of planned triples, and Baiul, bless her heart, is still trying to stage a comeback.

And since when is Boitani and Browning on the same team???
Why isn't the US presenting its own team?

Where is everybody??

Well, Kristi's obviously unavaliable she's expecting a baby around the same time as this event, Tara's skating status is still a question mark, and none of the other current U.S. ladies seem interested in losing their eligibility anytime soon, so that basically leaves Nicole.

But now that you mentioned it, I do wonder why there's two men, but only one woman on each team. I would love to see them add Josée to the North American team and Yuka to the World team, but I wonder what the chances of that will be? :(

Norlite

On the Ice
astimegoesby said:

And yes, if Ice Wars has pairs this year (a very good idea, IMO) why not ice dance as well? B&K for the North American team vs. either D&V or A&P for the Soviet...uh, World team would be a pretty exciting matchup.

It's totally possible, they were asked and said no. Bourne and Kraatz, I believe, don't want to get involved in this kind "cheesefest" yet, being current world champions, and very expensive to boot. And remember A & P still aren't entering the US. :\

As for Josee.... she is also not wanting to go this route at this time. She is very involved with her skaters as a coach. In fact, I talked to her (just to say hi! :) )this past weekend in Thornhill.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Not only will you see the best figure skating in the world, but the REMATCH OF THE YEAR! Sale and Pelletier will once again face Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze on the ice in a rematch of the controversial 2002 Olympic Gold Medal “tie” in pair’s figure skating. The pairs have not met in competition since Salt Lake City.
Hmmmm, could it be that they did not meet in competition because they wanted to avoid exactly this kind of stuff? :\

Anyway, I think NA team has a slight advantage. Pairs we can assume are about equal. I actually trust Nicole in competition more than I do Oksana. As for men -- Ilya is way ahead of the other three, but then again Victor is well behind both Brian and Kurt.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"BTW, as much as I'm looking forward to seeing S&P and B&S compete in the same event for the first time since the Olympics, I just hope all the inevitable hype/SLC rehash surrounding it won't overshadow the other skaters competing"

Well the whole Ice Wars concept was started as a hyped up rematch of Oksana and Nancy, and believe me, if anything the excellent skating of Kristi, Brian and Paul well overshaddowed the dismal skates of fresh from Oly glory Nancy and Oksana.

katherine2001

On the Ice
It's too bad that they don't have Yuka Sato competing for the World team for the women. She has competed in Ice Wars for the last several years, and I enjoy her the most for the women. However, they probably had to make a competitive pairing.

I will look forward to seeing Viktor Petrenko. We don't see him as much in the pro events anymore. But I will also miss seeing the rivalry between Brian and Kurt. However, the Americans don't really have a pair as good as either S & P or B & S. I like M & S, but not as much as these two pairs.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Well I bet they couldn't ask Yuka...they didn't want Nicole's female counterpart to be that ahead of her in skating skills so they brought in Oksana who maybe closer to Nicole's level.