Ice Wars - date and skaters | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ice Wars - date and skaters

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
VIETgrlTerifa said:
Well I bet they couldn't ask Yuka...they didn't want Nicole's female counterpart to be that ahead of her in skating skills so they brought in Oksana who maybe closer to Nicole's level.

she skated against Yuka a couple years ago

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Gosh, I thought this sounded like a pretty good lineup and I am a bit surprised to see a lot of negativity here. :eek: Oh well, to each his/her own. :D Anyway, they normally show both programs at Ice Wars on CBS around Thanksgiving (there's a technical and an artistic program they all skate at this one) and I can't remember if they chacked anyone last year or not. With this crew, I think they will end up showing everyone. It should be a good competition. The only two skaters who tend to do more showy and not as much technical stuff are Oksana and Nicole. I think the others still have that technical skill and they use it whenever they can for this competition in addition to the presentation. JMO of course though. I look foward to seeing it (and I have a friend who is going too so I will have to get the good gossip from her, LOL). I too hope it doesn't turn into a SLC rehash though. Geesh, its been over a year and a half, the skaters have let it go, I think its time for the press to also! LOL :rolleye:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Tonichelle said:
No clash of the Titans this year? Brian and Kurt on the SAME TEAM... we all know who gets to keep his "team Captain" title... Mr. Boitano *pouts*

I don't like it... don't like it at all! *pouts*

Actually, in Ice Wars 2002 it was Boitano/Kulik and Hamilton/Browning "clash" in the artistic programme.

Marjaana

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
KwanFan1212 said:
Gosh, I thought this sounded like a pretty good lineup and I am a bit surprised to see a lot of negativity here. :eek: Oh well, to each his/her own. :D Anyway, they normally show both programs at Ice Wars on CBS around Thanksgiving (there's a technical and an artistic program they all skate at this one) and I can't remember if they chacked anyone last year or not.

With this crew, I think they will end up showing everyone.

I think that they did not show Bobek´s technical programme in 2002 broadcast. Actually, the term "chack" may not apply in this connection, as it was not technically a great performance, I believe, LOL.

I also hope that they will show all programmes from 2003 competiton!

Marjaana

Last edited:

ladybug

On the Ice
How about Yuka vs Nancy or Tonya K.

At COI, Nicole doesn't do much more than doubles. Maybe she will get in fighting shape for this competition.

Did anyone notice, the World team has All Olympic Gold skaters?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Yes, I noticed that they all are Olympic champions. Will be really interesting to see how Oksana fares in the competition. I have great hopes for her.

It is a bit strange that they have only one lady in each team. And also it looks a bit odd in what order they have both teams in that ad (not same for both teams).

Marjaana

berthes ghost

Final Flight
All Oly champs, and all with a controversial win over a North American to boot! (Viktor/Paul, Oksana/Nancy, Ilia/Elvis, B&S/S&P) (Well, maybe not Ilia/Elvis)

What would really be a coup, is if they could substitute Ilia with Urmanov and then get Nancy, Paul and Elvis to replace Nicole, Brian and Kurt. :laugh:

Did they ever have Nancy, Paul, Kristi, Brian vs. Oksana, Viktor, Midori and Brian?

Berthe - The pairings you listed look great. I might even get interested in this competition. It shouldn't be all golf clubs and boas.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Joesitz said:
Berthe - The pairings you listed look great. I might even get interested in this competition. It shouldn't be all golf clubs and boas.

Joe

If one skater (Hamilton) used the golf club as prop, it should not spoil the level of other male competitors who skated. E.g. Ilia did not use any props and had great programmes in previous Ice Wars. And definetely I don´t wish to see Urmanov and his costumes (the bra one and the one where he is wearing harem trousers and has a bald head...).

QUOTE]Originally posted by berthes ghost
All Oly champs, and all with a controversial win over a North American to boot! (Viktor/Paul, Oksana/Nancy, Ilia/Elvis, B&S/S&P) (Well, maybe not Ilia/Elvis) [/QUOTE]

There was nothing contraversial in Ilia´s win over Elvis in Nagano Olympics! Elvis was third in the freeskate.

Marjaana

Last edited:

astimegoesby

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
Did they ever have Nancy, Paul, Kristi, Brian vs. Oksana, Viktor, Midori and Brian?

Substitute Midori and Brian Orser with Katarina and Kurt and you just named the team lineup for the very first Ice Wars back in 1994! :D

I'm still hoping one more woman will be added to each team before the event takes place: If Nancy's still skating (I don't know where I got the idea she retired altogether!), I don't see why she can't be added to the North American team. And with Yuka now added to this year's SOI cast, hopefully she'll be added to Ice Wars this year as well--the world team needs at least one token non-former Soviet Union skater in order to reduce all those inevitable "Cold War" references the commentators are sure to make, don't you think? :laugh:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"There was nothing contraversial in Ilia´s win over Elvis in Nagano Olympics! "

I agree when talking about the FS, or overall result.

I do however remember the entire Sky Rink fuming after the SP with "Elvis wuz robbed!" venum.

Unfortunately for Ilia, I think a lot of people carry the Urmanov thing over to Elvis's second silver. Not saying I agree, just telling how I perceive many NA fans feel.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
berthes ghost said:
"There was nothing contraversial in Ilia´s win over Elvis in Nagano Olympics! "

I agree when talking about the FS, or overall result.

I do however remember the entire Sky Rink fuming after the SP with "Elvis wuz robbed!" venum.

Unfortunately for Ilia, I think a lot of people carry the Urmanov thing over to Elvis's second silver. Not saying I agree, just telling how I perceive many NA fans feel.

Yes, that must be national bias... Even in Lillehammer Elvis was not even close of winning the freeskate. From Nagano I have got tapes from different countries, and I don´t think that any of the commentators thought that it was Elvis who should have won the short programme. On the other hand even if he would have won the short programme, he would not have won the freeskate. The international judges though don´t easily put Elvis on 1st place (because of his presentation), if they have some other possibility.

Marjaana

Last edited: