WHAT A GAME!!!!!!!! (Stanley Cup Finals) | Golden Skate

WHAT A GAME!!!!!!!! (Stanley Cup Finals)

anya_angie

Final Flight
Hey, guys, you all know I'm a Burgher! I gotta root for my team! My best friend got me interested with Lemieux's first comeback in 1995, and my interest has varied ever since, but I always supported my team. Well, we're in the Finals, and this was the first time in Pens history where they had a must-win situation in the Finals, and they came through big time! Peter Sykora actually said during the second overtime that he would score the winner, and he did. Marc-Andre Fleury was also phenomenal, save after save after save. But the Wings gave them a run for their money, I have to say that, their defense was magnificent, especially in the overtimes where we were clearly outshot. Chris Osgood made some incredible saves as well. This is a game that will live in infamy, no matter what happens in game six!

Hockey was my first love in sports even though I enjoyed skating, I didn' actually get into that avidly until 1997. My best friend told me about Mario Lemieux and his accomplishments on and off the ice and (we're both girls, what can I say how cute Jaromir Jagr was LOL. My interest officially waned in 1999 when I got more into skating and thus I didn't watch the Pens as much as I would have liked, but from then on I still followed their results. Now that we're in the Finals again, I am pumped beyond words. Only one other team has come from behind to win the Stanley Cup in Game 7. If the Pens win Wednesday and then game 7, we'll have our own Miracle On Ice!

I don't know how many of you guys follow hockey but I just had to share my joy tonight.

And they came within an inch of doing it again, on the last play tonight.

Whew. (Go Wings! :) )

anya_angie

Final Flight
Yeah, that was another whopper of a game, Detroit's defense is phenomenal and I heartily congratulate them on a superb victory. That was SO close, I thought we were going to have a sort of "Miracle On Ice" thing LOL. Well, the way I look at it, we were lucky just to be in the Finals, cause two years ago no one thought we'd make the first round of the playoffs, and the year before, we lost in the first round, so we really stood up this year. Here's hoping next year is even better!

Congrats to the Wings on an amazing season and an amazing playoff run!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to the Red Wings! :clap: Congrats to the Penguins for making it this far :clap:(even though they eliminated our Philadelphia Flyers in the playoffs)!

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Ah yes, oh well, perhaps one day the Cup will come back home to Canada....

Ah yes, oh well, perhaps one day the Cup will come back home to Canada....
Here in Detroit, thay are making a big deal out of the fact that the stars of the Red Wings team are mostly Swedish players. (The last time around the team was lead by Canadian Steve Yserman.)

For a long time there has been kind of a prejudice against European players -- they're not mentally tough enough, they're in it only for a paycheck, they are more interested in the Olympics and international competitions than in the Stanley Cup (awarded, according to Lord Stanley's bequest, to "the best team in Canada." :) )

So Nicklas Lindstrom being the first European to captain a Stanley Cup winner and Henrik Zettermann being the first Swede to win the Conn Smythe Award made history.