Hybrid View

Medalist

Morozov blames agent for split with Takahashi v.2

The real story behind the split between Morozov and Takahashi:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sp20080525jg.html

Quote Originally Posted by japanice View Post
    The real story behind the split between Morozov and Takahashi:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sp20080525jg.html
    WOW!! That is quite a statment from Morozov. He sounds pretty ticked off.
    Thanks for the link.

I wouldn't say it's the *true* version... just the truth from someone's point of view (yes it's a paraphrase from the great Jedi Master, Obi-Wan Kenobi...)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I wouldn't say it's the *true* version... just the truth from someone's point of view (yes it's a paraphrase from the great Jedi Master, Obi-Wan Kenobi...)
    Same here.
    If this is true, then Dai's agent must have a certain amount of power over him for him to stop working with Nikolai. It's still a wierd story.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NatachaHatawa View Post
    Same here.
    If this is true, then Dai's agent must have a certain amount of power over him for him to stop working with Nikolai. It's still a wierd story.
    It's interesting how both parties deny having any preexisting knowledge....

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Very interesting article. I don't think that we will ever know the real reason behind the split.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Wow. Drama. I think we all knew somthing was going on here behind this split, considering Oda and Takahashi are good friends. I wonder if that is true about the agent being to blame for not skating well at worlds. WE often try to come up with answers to why a skater fell apart here or there... injury, coach problems, inconsistency..I never thought of blaming the agent. It will be interesting to see how Takahashi skates next season and who he hires as coach. Same goes to Mao.

Quote Originally Posted by NatachaHatawa View Post
    Same here.
    From reading the interview with Morozov it sounds like both Morozov and Dai's agent gave him the ultimatum of "it's him or me".

Ant

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    "I have not talked about this with anybody but you," he said. "I want you to put in the newspaper that I said, 'Ihara is a liar.' I want the truth to be known."
    I guess this sums up how Morozov really feels.

Dee

Custom Title
    I am sorry to hear that it has ended this way, but thanks for the article link, japanice. I have in the past seen that sometimes agents have a surprising amount of influence over their skater, so perhaps it is just another example of that. I hope things go well with Nobunari Oda and Nikolay Morozov in the coming season.

Custom Title
    Again, I will preface this by saying that I don't blame Daisuke for any of this and I am not normally inclined to defend Morozov. . . BUT this is not really about whether we choose to believe Morozov or Takahashi. It's about whether we choose to believe Morozov or Ihara (the agent).

Does anyone know anything about Ihara? if not, how do we know he isn't even more self-serving and deceptive than Morozov? It certainly wouldn't be the first time an innocent talent allowed an ambitious agent to make his decisions for him.

Also, if saving face is so valued in Japan, that makes Ihara twice as guilty, since he told the media that Morozov had taken on Oda without telling Takahashi. That's the kind of thing that can ruin an elite coach's reputation in this sport, and there was no need to give a reason to the public anyway. It would have been easy to let *everyone* save face by saying Takahashi needed to spend more time training in Japan because he's going to grad school, or Takahashi just felt that he needed a change. So this doesn't look like a Japanese-Russian culture clash, it just looks like a spat between a coach and an agent, each of whom wanted more control over this athlete and wanted to make the other look bad.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by vlaurend View Post
    Did Ihara save Morozov's face by telling the whole world that Morozov had taken on Oda without telling Takahashi?
    We know by now that Oda himself has talked about Morozov approaching him (on several occasions) about becoming his coach. What we don't know is when it started.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    We know by now that Oda himself has talked about Morozov approaching him (on several occasions) about becoming his coach. What we don't know is when it started.
    Very interesting. . . I wonder if Morozov hated Ihara so much that he figured he was going to lose Takahashi anyway? There are probably lots of layers to this story that we will never know. . . and probably very few completely innocent parties.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by vlaurend View Post
    if Morozov hated Ihara so much that he figured he was going to lose Takahashi anyway?
    Sounds like a love triangle gone psycho.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    Sounds like a love triangle gone psycho.
    I was thinking the same thing! But somehow I feel like Morozov would have preferred the psycho love triangle, given the choice. But seriously. . . The coach and agent do seem to have different priorities. Agents typically get paid as a percentage of their clients' revenue, and I imagine the ice show gigs Ihara gets for Takahashi make him a lot more money than the competitions he does. But of course the coach would want him to limit all of his activities outside of competitions and competition training, which would explain why Morozov might say Takahashi and his agent chose the money-making opportunity over him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast