Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Morozov blames agent for split with Takahashi v.2

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Daisuke got a pair of new boots just a week prior to 4CC as well.
    Wow, seriously? That's two pairs of new boots in an awfully short period of time, and right when no skater would want to be breaking in new boots. Was Dai having problems with his boots?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelluv View Post
    Morozov should follow Priscilla Hill's example in regard to ethical behavior. He's totally inappropriate airing insider details, or his version anyway.
    I am a huge Takahashi fan and not big Morozov fan, BUT. . . IF Morozov's story is true, then Takahashi and his agent lied to the media and have slandered Morozov. If someone says something untrue about you that harms your reputation, don't you have the right to tell your side of the story? (Of course, he could have been a little less hot-headed and a little more subtle, but let's face it, he's a"pyessionate" Russian ice dancer, not a politician. . .)

^
    I don't get the association of Morosov/Takahashi with Hill/Weir!

Priscilla and Johnny were fine and very open about their split. So many skaters change coaches and this is what that was.

Morozov and Daisuke were not fine. Apparently, Daisuke was ordered to leave Morozov. Quite different.

Someone tell me how Mor/Dai is the same as Hil/Wei.or Tarrasova/Asada?

Joe

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by vlaurend View Post
    Was Dai having problems with his boots?
    I think he was having a sore toe, at some point.

Speaking as a huge fan to a huge fan, I think for a "pyessionate" Russian the guy knows a bit too well who to bark at. But that's just my impression.

Resident Chinese pair nerd
    I'm curious as to what the real truth is. I have a feeling we will never know. Then again I wouldn't believe anything Morozov said even if he told me it was raining and I was standing in the middle of a thunderstorm at the time.

I'm more inclined to believe Dai, who generally comes across as a nice guy, over Morozov. If I'm not mistaken, this is not the first time Morozov has decided to work with a rival of one of his skaters - didn't he leave Tarasova over something similar? I also seem to recall him working with Plushy and Joubert at the same time (which did not go over well with Brian).

As for knowing ahead of time that Dai would do badly at worlds, either he's trying to make himself look smart, or he was not doing a good job as a coach. Honestly, if Morozov thinks something's not working with a skater, he should tell the skater, not the journalists. There's an interview here in which Joubert was told by the interviewer that Morozov said - two weeks before 06 Olys -that Joubert would not medal (http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2006/012007.shtml). He could have just said "go back to the Matrix" which strikes me as more helpful than what he apparently did say at the time.

He may be very good at putting together programs, but I think Mr. Morozov thinks a bit too highly of himself. And unless his comments were taken out of context, I think that was hardly a classy interview.

Here he sounds like it was a conscious decision to split with Daisuke and choose Oda.

I am not interested in who was right or wrong. But what interested me was his attitude. It sounds like he has really a lot of fighting spirit and faith in his success, which perhaps has enabled him to help his students win the games. I wish Nobunari all the best. Morosov would be a good resource for him to boost his confidence. Morosov is not easily shaken and always a positive thinker to find his best possible ways to survive. He has really strong charisma as a coach and a person. He's a good person to rely on when you have to compete under a lot of pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I'm more inclined to believe Dai, who generally comes across as a nice guy, over Morozov. If I'm not mistaken, this is not the first time Morozov has decided to work with a rival of one of his skaters - didn't he leave Tarasova over something similar? I also seem to recall him working with Plushy and Joubert at the same time (which did not go over well with Brian).

As for knowing ahead of time that Dai would do badly at worlds, either he's trying to make himself look smart, or he was not doing a good job as a coach. Honestly, if Morozov thinks something's not working with a skater, he should tell the skater, not the journalists. There's an interview here in which Joubert was told by the interviewer that Morozov said - two weeks before 06 Olys -that Joubert would not medal (http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2006/012007.shtml). He could have just said "go back to the Matrix" which strikes me as more helpful than what he apparently did say at the time.

He may be very good at putting together programs, but I think Mr. Morozov thinks a bit too highly of himself. And unless his comments were taken out of context, I think that was hardly a classy interview.
    I couldn't agree more. What strikes me is that he never sticks with a skater. This is a fundamental difference between him and Tarasova. Although Morozov has done some great stuff, he'll never be as prestigiouse as her because all medals that his students will get won't really be seen as a consequence of his work, contrary to tarasova, who sticks with her skaters for years.

What's interesting to note is that whenever Morozov works with one of his pupils' rivals, they always leave him, which isn't the case of all coaches that train rivals. I think this says something about the trust (or lack of) that skaters have him.
    The most obviouse case was the Joubert vs Plushenko one. The year Morozov created Brian's worst LP ever happened to be the year he worked with Evgeni. I'm not saying he did it on purpouse, that there was some sort of "make Evgeni win" conspiracy, but I belive that it really damaged his image in skaters' minds.

Tripping on the Podium
    Honestly, I'm inclined to believe Taki too over Morozov. Morozov's behavior in all of this is inappropriate and as a coach/teacher, he should be held to higher standards.

Banned
    I think Morozov has burned some important bridges by talking to this writer. The Japanese federation is notoriously hypersensitive about any criticism toward any of their own, and they are touchy about giving credit to foreigners for any of their skaters' successes. "Saving face" is a very important cultural concept to the Japanese.

Morozov tends not to be particularly culturally sensitive to that kind of thing, but I think he may have gone too far by publicly attacking a well-known Japanese agent and claiming so much of the credit for his Japanese students' successes for himself. The Japanese federation has ultimate control over where and with whom their skaters can train, and ticking them off in any way may ultimately prove to be a costly error for Morozov. If the Japanese federation should feel that his comments are disrespectful and insulting and decide to take their skaters away from him, he will be left without all those prize students he takes the credit for.

Custom Title
    Again, I will preface this by saying that I don't blame Daisuke for any of this and I am not normally inclined to defend Morozov. . . BUT this is not really about whether we choose to believe Morozov or Takahashi. It's about whether we choose to believe Morozov or Ihara (the agent).

Does anyone know anything about Ihara? if not, how do we know he isn't even more self-serving and deceptive than Morozov? It certainly wouldn't be the first time an innocent talent allowed an ambitious agent to make his decisions for him.

Also, if saving face is so valued in Japan, that makes Ihara twice as guilty, since he told the media that Morozov had taken on Oda without telling Takahashi. That's the kind of thing that can ruin an elite coach's reputation in this sport, and there was no need to give a reason to the public anyway. It would have been easy to let *everyone* save face by saying Takahashi needed to spend more time training in Japan because he's going to grad school, or Takahashi just felt that he needed a change. So this doesn't look like a Japanese-Russian culture clash, it just looks like a spat between a coach and an agent, each of whom wanted more control over this athlete and wanted to make the other look bad.

Did Ihara save Morozov's face by telling the whole world that Morozov had taken on Oda without telling Takahashi?
    We know by now that Oda himself has talked about Morozov approaching him (on several occasions) about becoming his coach. What we don't know is when it started.

Custom Title
    We know by now that Oda himself has talked about Morozov approaching him (on several occasions) about becoming his coach. What we don't know is when it started.
    Very interesting. . . I wonder if Morozov hated Ihara so much that he figured he was going to lose Takahashi anyway? There are probably lots of layers to this story that we will never know. . . and probably very few completely innocent parties.

if Morozov hated Ihara so much that he figured he was going to lose Takahashi anyway?
    Sounds like a love triangle gone psycho.

Custom Title
    Sounds like a love triangle gone psycho.
    I was thinking the same thing! But somehow I feel like Morozov would have preferred the psycho love triangle, given the choice. But seriously. . . The coach and agent do seem to have different priorities. Agents typically get paid as a percentage of their clients' revenue, and I imagine the ice show gigs Ihara gets for Takahashi make him a lot more money than the competitions he does. But of course the coach would want him to limit all of his activities outside of competitions and competition training, which would explain why Morozov might say Takahashi and his agent chose the money-making opportunity over him.

Agents typically get paid as a percentage of their clients' revenue
    But so do choreographers. I remember reading an article about a conflict between Tarasova and Kulik, how she wasn't happy with him skating her programs (after turning professional) and not paying.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast