Lambiel to be coached by Petrenko | Golden Skate

Lambiel to be coached by Petrenko

Medusa

Record Breaker
http://www.bluewin.ch/de/index.php/47,48121/Lambiel_trennt_sich_von_Trainer_und_geht_in_die_USA/

http://www.edicom.ch/fr/news/sport/patinage-artistique-lambiel-change-de-coach_1185-5435496

Wow. Didn't expect that!

Mit dem Ziel Olympia 2010 wird Lambiel dort künftig von Viktor Petrenko, dem ebenfalls zweifachen Weltmeister (1990 und 1992) und Olympiasieger von 1992, sowie dessen Assistentin und Schwiegermutter Galina Smijewska trainiert.

So Petrenko and Zmiejevskaja. I am surprised.

Neue Züricher Zeitung

Le Temps

Well, it's in every major Swiss newspaper - so I guess it has to be true.

Okay, it is now on his official website - you can read it there in English.
Official Lambiel Website said:
A fresh start

June 6, 2008

After finishing at a disappointing fifth place at the World Championships 2008 in Gothenburg, Stéphane has taken time to think about his future. He came to the conclusion that certain changes were necessary. Of course, he goes on with his career but splits with coach Peter Grütter. The pair had been working together since 1995, with a short break in 2004. Stéphane: “It has been a difficult decision. I owe a lot to Peter Grütter. We part on good terms and remain friends.”

With eyes set on the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver, Stéphane will now be coached by Viktor Petrenko, 1992 Olympic champion in Albertville, and Galina Zmievskaya, Petrenko’s former coach. Stéphane has found optimal training conditions in Wayne, N.J. (United States).

Last edited:
He needs a consistent 3A and good practices with his quad and quad combo. Just hope they don't change his style.

btw. Petrenko has never really had a top ten skater. Has he? He shares Johnny. How much does he contribute?

Joe

Whoops. I forgot to say, Petrenko is not really a Master Coach yet. Is He? What's his background in coaching?

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Johnny and Stephane with the same coaching team...
that could be interesting. I hope to see Stephane getting back to top form rather than what we saw from him at Worlds this year.

For those of us with rusty high-school French and non-existent German, could someone translate, at least part of it?

sillylionlove

Medalist
Translation. from the german article...(from a translation program we use here at work...so how reliable it is...I have no idea.) But it does give you a sense of what it says.

New start of Stéphane Lambiel: The dual ice art course world champion separates herself from its trainer Peter Grütter and works with regard to the Olympic games 2010 in Vancouver newly with Viktor Petrenko in the USA together. Indicate picture: Keystone Stéphane Lambiel and Peter Grütter the separation of Grütter is the consequence of the disappointing 5th World Cup rank in Göteborg in March. A difficult decree had been it, so Lambiel, that after the last season long had made itself over its future thought: "I Peter Grütter have separate us enormously much to owe and we in all friendship. Its human like professional qualities are extraordinary, but I need now simply again once a new Kick", said the 23-year-old Walliser.

The duo Lambiel/Grütter has collaborated for 1995 (with a short interruption 2004). The 66-year-old Grütter made a dual world champion (2005 and 2006) out of the Walliser talent. Next to three World Cup medals -- 2007 got Lambiel bronze --, the Walliser with Grütter 2006 in Turin also Olympia silver won and in the same year as well as 2008 twice EM silver.

Lacking alternative in Switzerland, Lambiel becomes "emigrate" into the USA after Wayne (New Jersey). With the goal Olympia 2010, Lambiel becomes there in the future of Viktor Petrenko, that also dual world champion (1990 and 1992) and Olympic gold medalist of 1992 trains, as well as its assistant and mother-in-law Galina Smijewska. The 38-year-old Petrenko was moreover three times European champion and won 1988 in Calgary Olympia bronze. Smijewska was during many years Petrenkos trainer. It led it and 1994 also Oksana Bajul to the victory at the Olympics.

To its new program, Lambiel wants to express itself first in July. The end of June runs Lambiel the "Dreams on Ice" -shows in Japan, and in July it is guest of that Ice Exhibition" "super in south Korea.

Translation from the French article.
Artistic skating: Lambiel changes coach

Stéphane Lambiel gives a new orientation to his career. The double champion of the world decided to separate itself Peter Grütter, his trainer since 1995. The Valaisan travaillera from now on to the United States under the trowel of Viktor Petrenko.

Of Ukrainian origin and 38 years old, Petrenko presents one of the more beautiful lists of awards of beginning of the years 90, with notably a médaille of now to the JO of Albertville in 1992, a world-wide title it same year and three coronations at the time of the Europeans (90, 91 and 94). Petrenko works to Wayne in the New Jersey, supported by Galina Smijewska (56 years) his former coach and current mother-in-law.

"That was a difficult decision to take. I have enormously to Peter Grütter - and we separate ourselves in all friendship", commented on Lambiel, quoted in a communiqué. "I have now need of a new challenge", added the one that had finished only fifth at the time of the last World-wide one to Göteborg. The skater of Saxon one will pronounce itself in July on its new programs.

Sorry for the not great English on this translation but you kind of get the idea. I don't know either language but this program isn't so bad!!

Maybe this is what Johnny needs to bring it to the next level.....this should make it very interesting this year. And please whatever you do......tame Stephane's arms...duct tape them to his side if you have to!!!

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He needs a consistent 3A and good practices with his quad and quad combo. Just hope they don't change his style.

I hope for this too. Likely, Stephane could still have his programs choreographed by Salome Brunner or whomever and go to her or him for touch-ups whenever needed, as other skaters around the world do. I recall Carolina Kostner saying in an interview after Europeans last season that she would visit her choreographer, Lori Nichol, again in Canada for final touches prior to Worlds, even though she trains in Germany. Stephane skates so externally and with such passion and I would really not want to see his style become internalized like Johnny Weir. To Johnny's credit though, he along with Sergei Voronov, probably has the best 3Axel in the world currently, IMO, and I would love to see some of that technique rub off onto Lambiel. I hope this partnership bears positive results and success!

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
WOW! this really surprises me. I really didn't think Lambiel would leave his coaches, and part of me even worried that - due to injuries - he might stop competing. I hope he is physically well and looking for new motivation/training. I think Petrenko is great for Lambiel given the latter's axel issues. But, I am surprised about this choice - especially Lambiel going to the US. AND, I'm totally craving a Johnny update - he really pushed this past season but didn't quite - IMO - conquer the stamina/strength when nervous issue - but did really, really shine and conquer many demons. I was hoping - and still am - that that upward growth curve would continue. I hope he is ok with this move and will benefit from training with a top rival. If not, I will feel for him (like I do for Takahashi too).

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It seems like everybody is changing coaches this season.

I am glad to hear that Stephane is making an effort to change. he knows that he needs to skate much cleaner if he wants to reach his goals and it is heartening to hear that he is taking steps to change his problems. If this will help him skate clean, I say good for him. If he is clean he will be pretty unbeatable.

skatergirl45

On the Ice
Lambiel

I heard something on another thread that he is changing coaches.
Is this true?

Thank you so much!

lmarie086

Medalist
Wow this is big news. I had expected that if anything, Lambiel would be retiring. And here he is switching coaches!
Not sure what I think of this yet, but I hope it goes well for him. He's a lovely skater and I hated seeing him not enjoying himself this past season.
Does anyone know anything about Petrenko as a coach? Has he really worked with anyone beside Johnny?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
He's moving to New Jersey to train with Victor Petrenko and Galina Zmievskaya.

I just might have to relocate to New Jersey. LOL Seriously I think it is a good move for him. Petrenko and Galina have really helped Johnny and I am sure they will help Stephane get back his Triple A. IMO V & G are coaching two of the best male skaters. Can't wait to see the results.

Wow this is big news. I had expected that if anything, Lambiel would be retiring. And here he is switching coaches!
Not sure what I think of this yet, but I hope it goes well for him. He's a lovely skater and I hated seeing him not enjoying himself this past season.
Does anyone know anything about Petrenko as a coach? Has he really worked with anyone beside Johnny?
Petrenko here is a big question as to whether he is able to improve Lambiel's 3A and get his quad and quad combo back to where they was when he first won Worlds. Petrenko will be dealing with the perfect Danseur on ice. No need to touch his style! If Viktor can get him the perfect 3A it will all be worth it. Not easy. Not even Mischa could. Euros will be a big testing ground for him and rival Joubert. Also heating up that event will be Verner, Voronov, Lutai, and let's not forget, Schultheiss. We could throw in Berntsson. Ponsero and Conti just for kicks. Instead of Cleveland, maybe I should think of Euros.

As Imarie mentioned above, I too, would like to hear from anyone who has knowledge of Petrenko's coaching, and how much did he work on Johnny? And will he continue working with Johnny?

Joe

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
It wouldn't be the first time that Lambiel has broken with Gruetter. Lambiel seems to be in a bit of a rut, and given the amount of problems he's had with his knees, this isn't surprising.

Bennett

Record Breaker
This is really interesting. I hope that this would not negatively affect Johnny as Daisuke could not take Nobu coming to Morosov. I wonder how uncommon and problematic such a situation can be.

Nobu and Jeff seem to have been doing very fine at Lee Barkell's. Barkell even suggested that Nobu could come back whenever necessary, despite that Nobu and Jeff were rivals. Mr. Nobuo Sato also had had a whole bunch of top ladies.

Is this an essential issue in coach-student relationships? Some skaters do seem to care whereas others don't seem to.

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
This is really interesting. I hope that this would not negatively affect Johnny as Daisuke could not take Nobu coming to Morosov. I wonder how uncommon and problematic such a situation can be.

Nobu and Jeff seem to have been doing very fine at Lee Barkell's. Barkell even suggested that Nobu could come back whenever necessary, despite that Nobu and Jeff were rivals. Mr. Nobuo Sato also had had a whole bunch of top ladies.

Is this an essential issue in coach-student relationships? Some skaters do seem to care whereas others don't seem to.

ITA.

Stephane canceled the ice show in Korea a weak before due to his injury.
http://www.festaonice.com/community/news.htm?section=view&tb_gubun=news&Ctg=&page=1&idx=72

And Johnny returned to NJ from Korea to find Stephane there training with his coach.

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/forum/
Recently Weir performed in Korea. When he returned home last week, he said he was a bit surprised to find another top level skater trying out with his coaches.

I don't blame the skaters for this matter but I always thought there's something special beyond what it says on the contract in coach-student relationship and I think consulting or notifying of this sudden decision to Johnny is the least Johnny's coachs could do to him. It seems Johnny's taking this sorta well, apparently he's on good terms with Stephane, so I'm hoping the best for both of them, I really like them both.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
this could be interesting with Weir and Lambiel sharing coaches... but this is suggesting Viktor is going to be Stephane's main coach, where as Johnny's with Galina... so maybe it'll work?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't blame the skaters for this matter but I always thought there's something special beyond what it says on the contract in coach-student relationship and I think consulting or notifying of this sudden decision to Johnny is the least Johnny's coachs could do to him. It seems Johnny's taking this sorta well, apparently he's on good terms with Stephane, so I'm hoping the best for both of them, I really like them both.

With all due respect to Johnny, Stephane, and Viktor, I don't think it was necessary for Viktor to have a consultation with Johnny prior to working with Stephane given my assumption that Johnny has no exclusive contract binding to Viktor or Galina. Johnny is 23 years old and should be able to work with and cooperate with any training environment as an Olympic and World class athlete in order to reach his goals in sport. The competitive training atmosphere should elevate his performance if he really is as serious as he says he is now in his goals and pursuits towards Vancouver 2010.