Favorite Black and White Movies | Golden Skate

Favorite Black and White Movies

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I am a big Cary Grant, Kathrine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart fan, and I was chatting about two of my favorite movies earlier on IM with a friend and so I got curious

what are your favorite B&W films?

Mine are
Arsenic & Old Lace(Cary Grant PROVES you can be funny without being gross!)
The Philidelphia Story(talk about star-studded cast, tremendous talent... and hilarious to BOOT! :))
Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte

Lucy25

Final Flight
I love the old B&W movies! My favorite actress is Vivien Leigh and love her in "Waterloo Bridge", "Sidewalks of London", and especially "That Hamiliton Woman" in which she stars with her future hubby, Laurence Olivier.

I also love the original "Pride and Prejudice" and "It Happened One Night". The Shirley Temple movies are great, too.

"Arsenic and Old Lace" is HILARIOUS!

mpal2

Final Flight
I completely love Arsenic In Old Lace - That has to be one of the funniest movies out there.

I would also have to go with Jimmy Stuart in Harvey. Cute movie about a drunk and his invisible friend Harvey the rabbit. :D

Alfred Hitchcock can always get a thumbs up from me.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Tonichelle:

Cary Grant is my favorite comedic actor. I also like Katherine Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart as well.

Yes, "Arsenic and Old Lace" is a classic - my favorite comedy as well. And of course the Philadelphia Story is up there as well. I also like "Bringing Up Baby" another Grant/Hepburn movie.

"It Happened One Night" is another one of my favorites. A 1934 movie starring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. The only movie to ever win all five major Academy Awards.

"His Girl Friday" (Rosalind Russell), once married to suave editor Walter Burns (Cary Grant). The movie was adapted from the stage play THE FRONT PAGE by Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur.

Of course, the classic Hitchcock movies have been mentioned - " The Thirty Nine Steps" is a good one.

Of course, "To Kill A Mockingbird" starring Gregory Peck is my favorite black and white movie of all time!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
LAD... I haven't seen a lot of Cary Grant and Kate Hepburn movies because they just AREN'T HERE... our blockbusters in Kenai are limited in their selections it's so poopy!

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
There are so many, I love a lot of them.

"It Happened One Night" is another one of my favorites. A 1934 movie starring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. The only movie to ever win all five major Academy Awards.

Actually other two movies accomplished this feat after "It Happened One Night", but it took a long time for it to happen.

It was "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"(1975) and "The Silence of the Lambs" (1991)

heyang

Record Breaker
I enjoy Miracle on 34th street in black and white. I refuse to watch the colorized version.

lil lion 816

Rinkside
I love old black & white comedies.

Charlie Chaplin: "Gold Rush", "Great Dictator", "City Lights", etc.
Marx Brothers : "Night at the Opera", "Duck Soup", "Room Service", etc.
Charlie Chan movies.
:)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I forgot to mention Frank Capras' "It's A Wonderful Life" starring Jimmy Stewart. Now there is a classic!

mike79

On the Ice
You guys should watch L'Avventura, a film by Michaelangelo Antonioni in 1960. It's very different from the typical Hollywood narrative in that you have to look at the pictures that Antonioni creates on-screen, as opposed to just waiting to see what will happen next. I highly recommend it.

Pookie

Final Flight
I love the Philadelphia Story. It's one of my favorites.
It Happened One Night.
Father of the Bride
The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer
My Favorite Wife
The Best Years of our Lives.
Bachelor Mother with Ginger Rogers and David Niven is great.
Vivacious Lady with Jimmy Stewart and Ginger Rogers is hilarious.

I love just about anything with Jimmy Stewart in it.
There are too many for me to mention.

Last edited:

Lucy25

Final Flight
Forgot about "Father of the Bride"! Loved that one! It's much better than the one with Steve Martin.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
I forgot to mention Frank Capras' "It's A Wonderful Life" starring Jimmy Stewart. Now there is a classic!

I forgot that one too!

SkateCynic

Rinkside
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (probably my favorite Jimmy Stewart movie aside from Harvey)

Meet John Doe (Fabulous - Gary Cooper is wonderful in this flick)

...Not really a movie but The Three Stooges and Our Gang/Little Rascals shorts. Didn't they show those at the movies as well, though?

Anna Karenina - Greta Garbo. Need I say more?

Stalag 17 - The precursor to Hogan's Heroes, and one of my favorite war movies. William Holden is awesome in this.

heyang

Record Breaker
If I recall correctly, 12 Angry Men with Henry Fonda was in B&W and I enjoyed that one a lot.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yes it was... an excellent play that one is :) Henry Fonda did great... Mike Farrel(BJ Honecutt in the TV Show MASH) reminds me of him for some reason. *shrugs*