Thread: Jim Mckay has passed away at 86

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar

Jim Mckay has passed away at 86

Groundbreaking sportscaster Jim McKay dies at 86

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

It's a sad day for the sports world + the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Mr. McKay's versatile commentary carried many skating fans through some our most treasured memories. He will be missed.

Way back, when I was young, every kid on the block watched Wide World of Sports. Jim McKay was irreplaceable.when he retired. They brought so many sports into the show that I never heard of, and Jim Mckay could get the viewer interested. Great Man, great Pioneer.

Joe

At my computer watching Meryl and Charlie skate!
    Oh, my, this is the first I've heard this. Wow, what an icon he was. I remember watching him way back on Wide World of Sports. He had a wonderful voice for commentary and I have many memories of watching skating with Jim McKay on the mike! I've been missing him for years and send my condolences to his family and friends. He was a great man and will be missed.

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    So sad. He will be missed.

His voice is so iconic... and I always think of sports when I hear it... he's been missed on camera...

my thoughts and prayers with his family and friends at this time.

Jim McKay was always "Mr. Olympics" to me. I grew up watching him on ABC's Wide World of Sports and was thrilled that NBC "borrowed" him for the 2002 SLC Olympics. I was hoping that ABC would do a little tribute to him during yesterday's coverage of the Belmont (as I think it is pretty well known that horse racing was his favorite sport), and they did at the beginning of the broadcast. He also hosted the wonderful series of ABC figure skating videos "Magic Memories on Ice," which thankfully we have and will continue to treasure.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Sorry to hear the news about Jim McKay. His passing is an end of an era. Growing up my family was very sports oriented and I have so many good memories of Jim McKay talking to us through our one (1) television screen that for me he became like one of the family. I will miss him. RIP

Rinkside
    As a kid, I remember that Saturday dinner did not start until after Wide World. More recently (well, back in 1996) when ABC got the rights back to worlds, hearing Jim McKay and Dick Button together again was really cool. I just thought that's the way it should be!