Those little skating moves.... | Golden Skate

Those little skating moves....

nysk8r

Rinkside
By that I mean, those certain choreographed moves in the program that you just love. For example:
- Lu Chen's 1995 LP: When the drum part part of her program begins and she walks on her toe picks while her arms move up and down
- Lu Chen's 1996 SP: Her arms moving back in forth in the air as if she was a tree swaying in the breeze(I'm a big Lu Chen fan in case you didn't noticed)

Little movements like that make the program what it is, IMO. :)

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
:)

Ohhh fun thread...I have several...99% of them belonging to Michelle Kwan. LOL Here are a few

**edited to add photos of some of the moves**

in her Rach SP when the music changes and she kinda slides/skids sideways on her blade with the other foot crossed in front.
http://www.heatherw.com/mk/pics/rach/9724634.jpg
In Aranjuez when she hops up on her toepicks right before the footwork sequence
http://www.kgphotos.com/media/02CIC-Kwan2367-3.jpg

in Schez i don't know how to describe it exactly, but she is skating forward, but swings her leg around behind the other kinda like shes going backwards but shes not. She does it in Fields of gold too.

In Sasha's Rach LP she does a little 'jump" in the middle of the footwork and then looks at the judges and brings her arm down in front of her face

I could make a list a mile long, but i'll stop there

Last edited:

April

Rinkside
Gee

P.Candelero's classic knee-sit- spin during his, I think, Godfather routine, at one of the Oly games; I can't remember. At the time, this move was exciting and different. I also like Sandu's opera impression and foot work from this past season.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Well, since I've alread admitted one secret shame, I'll go ahead and admit another: I absolutely love bad choreography!

Irina is a personal favorite in this regard, definately queen of the arm flails, or as Dick would say "Like hanging so much laundry out to dry.". My favorites are a toss up between the Tosca head roll, the Jack Benney elbow in palm/finger on cheek pose of AH Nastasia, or the opening arms over head flails of Broadway show tune medley (At first I thought she was trying to get the audience to start a wave).

Two personal favorites that I'd like to share are Tatiana Malinina's Aladin LP (at one point she's just standing still on two feet for several minutes just flapping her arms around her head) and an Eastern European pairs's SP from the 02 season to a Michael Jackson medley that was just subline in it's kitchiness. It probably never made it to US TV as they were way down in the standing, but I saw it live at Euros and then on TV for SLC. Wonderful!

Like a trip to Graceland.

Panther2000

On the Ice
I agree with Joesitz

I thought that I was the only one to pick up on that. She is great at little things like that. I too belive that her toework is overlooked.

But, I have also pick on Alexei. I love his down on the ice moves. No I am not taking about the One In Overcome( Though, I love that move to death) But, in Both Gladiator & MITIM he has his Backward slide on his stomach with one hand reaching out to the audincence. I forget the name of this move. Dick B mentioned it once. I can't remember it. But, the judges who loved it by the way. Said that he could not use that move. Something about full body in contact with the ice or something. Another Alexei move that he did( In overcome) His Moonwalk. & Last but Not least when it comes to alexei. His face, while he is skating. The expression is unmatched by any other Male skater. You can feel what he is feeling while he skates. I just rewatched the Canadian Open along, with the Crestwhite Strip & The Hallmark events from last season. Though hurt, I have never seen Overcome skated with such fire. He had to waterdown his jumps But, he more than made up for it with his soul.

Sasha: Her extensions & positions are unmatched out of the ladies.

There are more but I have to think some more

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Though hurt, I have never seen Overcome skated with such fire. He had to waterdown his jumps But, he more than made up for it with his soul.
Panther, I love that program too. He looked as though he was praying or begging God to help him. It just sent chills down my spine.

Another move of Alexei's is during Man in the Iron Mask, I love when he put his hands in front of himself right on the beat of the music, like he's sliding. He does this move toward the end of the program.

A move of Candeloro is when he's finished a program and down on the ice with legs crossed and he just stands up. Wow!!!

I like it when Evgeny does his hip wiggles in the program Once upon a Time in America.

Dee

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
I love all of Evgeni's little hand moves, though I've often heard them criticized (not classical enough for Mr. Button, I guess) - nothing specific, just different things he does w/ his hands/fingers during regular crossovers and jump landings and stuff. Ilia Klimkin has a ton of weird choreographed moves in his programs (those interesting spins, etc.), which makes him fun to watch even though he's not one of my favorites. Ummm... Lambiel's sit spin positions are killer. I like "toe pick moves" too like the ones people described here, as long as they're not done too much. And I agree w/ all the Michelle Kwan moves - she's a master of the "little things."

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Some more Lulu moves that I love [I'm with you nysk8r :)]:

from her Rach LP - 1) at the beginning she has her head down, then raises it up as the music starts; and 2) when she stops and brings her arms to the side as if she were removing a coat in the middle of the program. There's a wonderful story in Sandra Bezic's book 'A Passion to Skate' about this choreographic moment.

from her Take Five SP - 1) her beginning pose where she turns to all 4 sides of the audience as the famous piano riff starts; and 2) the roll of her head in the footwork section

from her Peel Me A Grape program - all the flirtatious looks

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

mpal2

Final Flight
Re: :)

BravesSkateFan said:
in Schez i don't know how to describe it exactly, but she is skating forward, but swings her leg around behind the other kinda like shes going backwards but shes not. She does it in Fields of gold too.

Are you referring to the deep edges she does at the end of FOG? It's sort of like forward stroking but her leg crosses behind her instead of in front. I *think* someone once referred to them as cross rolls. I also heard another name for it but can't remember right now.

ATW27

On the Ice
It's the little things in programs that I find i love, at times more than the jumps! Some that come to mind:

Chengjiang Li's 'Kung Fu Battle cry' right before his footwork in his Kung Fu SP (or, at NHK this year, he stops to clap along with the audience!).

The long slide in to the death spiral Langlois and Archetto did at the end of their Tosca LP. Also, the section in their Harlem Nocturne SP right after the first throw, where it looks like they're chasing each other (love Anabelle's expression).

Many moments in Elena Liashenko's Tengo LP, like the part where she skates away, backward, coquettishly (some shoulder action going on there!). Elena may telegraph many of her jumps, but I think she realy works hard on her Choreography and expression.

Julia Obertas' side-ways kick in the middle of she and Sokolov's LP this year, and the sort of 'flip-around' move that did at the end.

A lot of moments in Naomi and Peter's Perisian Walkways FD from last year.

Lanie

On the Ice
I like the one time Sasha Cohen did an Ina Bauer into a triple salchow (not the one 'standing up' like in Hernando's Hideaway)...it looked so much better than the Ina Bauer into the double axel.

rtureck

Final Flight
Oksana's swan programs are full of little gems, her graceful head rolls, and those lovely arm and hand choreography are excellent. I guess she captured the essence of the swan

Lanie - An ina bauer into a triple salchow is NOT a little move. Neither the ina baue nor the salchow are little moves.

Joe

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I loved it when Brian Boitano, after finishing his triple axel double loop in his Les Patineurs SP, wipes the snow off his blade, throws it over his shoulder as if to say, Top That.

I love the back COE spiral in FOG by Kwan

It's not a little move, but I love Klimkin's camel spins that go in both ways with the triple salchow in there.

I liked Stannick talking to the snake.

I loved the arm kissing tango part of Abitbol and Bernadis's Addams Family, also the finger snapping. It was so in character.

dpp

Lanie

On the Ice
Oh, oh, okay. I was confused (not too surprising seeing as I usually am!). Sorry Joe. :)

ouridol

On the Ice
Ooh..I like this thread :) Let's see--I love how Alexei does all that miming (especially at the beginning of MITIM), and how he tosses up that 'Snow" in his "Winter" program. I also love this one move Sasha does where she has one leg bent, and the other leg is stretched out and she goes in that position in a circle...here's a picture: http://www.sashafans.com/media/gallery/2001hersheys/interp/01hersheys-salamey-5.jpg
As well as the "Sasha Curl":
http://www.sashafans.com/media/gallery/2002worlds/qualifying/qual-ap-1.jpg
http://www.sashafans.com/media/gallery/2002worlds/qualifying/qual-behning-2.jpg
And this move Sasha does:
http://www.sashafans.com/media/gallery/2002worlds/qualifying/qual-tarusyani-4.jpg
There's lots more, but none I can think of at the moment....

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Liz Manleys' opening steps and closing steps to her 88 Olympic program.

Toller Cranston - every move he made was a classic. His program Il Pagliaci was thrilling from the start to the finish - including the slide across the ice at the end.

Kurt Browning - his classic little runs and skips he does across the ice and makes it look so easy. I also love the way he can just "pop" a jump in out of nowhere.

I will have to think of more later.