'Champs Camp' June 13-15 in Colorado Springs | Golden Skate

'Champs Camp' June 13-15 in Colorado Springs

Sylvia

Record Breaker
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080611&content_id=48558&vkey=ice_pressrelease
All 34 of U.S. Figure Skating's A and B envelope athletes and their coaches will gather at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo., June 13-15 for U.S. Figure Skating's second annual Champs Camp.

The purpose of Champs Camp is to prepare elite U.S. athletes and coaches for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games, assist with planning and setting goals, improve communication skills, implement programs to enhance training, clarify U.S. Figure Skating policies and procedures, give media training and highlight the organization's marketing efforts.
Icenetwork is planning behind-the-scenes reports, photos and video from 'Champs Camp' starting on Friday.

ETA: The Team A and B envelope athletes are:
Ladies: Nagasu, Meissner, Liang; Flatt, Wagner, Zhang, A. Gilles
Men: Lysacek, Weir, Carriere; Abbott, Rippon, Mroz, Mahbanoozadeh
Pairs: McLaughlin/Brubaker, Inoue/Baldwin; Castile/Okolski, Vise/Trent, Paetsch/Nuss
Dance: Belbin/Agosto, Davis/White; Navarro/Bommentre, Samuelson/Bates, Hubbell/Hubbell

Last edited:

owensmom

Spectator
I heard they are also going to be the first to announce the GP Series assignments on the website.

Thanks for the heads up, Sylvia. I look forward to the assignments bearing in mind that eventually the 4 gold medalists from whatever discipline will automatically be given a spot in two of the GPs. The skaters in the US do not qualify for that. Canada will have have 2 sports in Mens; Japan will have 2 spots in Ladies; Germany will have 2 spots in Pairs, and France will have 2 spots in Skate Dance.

I presume Skate America will try to place the USFS skaters (3 of them) according to their ability to draw a crowd, but having the 3 former junior ladies chosen for SA may draw a crowd, it will definitely knock one of them out for the Finals if YuNa or Mao show up. Carolina would be the best for the Americans. Then what do we do with Kimmie? Ashley? Bebe?

I don't know if my theory about less than 2nd place in the GPs will not bring a skater to the Finals. Of course, if there could be a meltdown as with last year's Miki, a bronze could squeak in.

We'll have fun again with this.

Joe

HUGE ERROR

I believe the Worlds podium gives the automatic placements for 2 spots in the GPs. Therefore Johnny among others will be included.

Last edited:

Snowgirl

On the Ice
Skaters placed 1-12 at Worlds are guaranteed 2 spots. Though placed 1-6 are seeded and 7-12 are invited, but all of them will get 2 spots automatically.

Skaters placed 1-12 at Worlds are guaranteed 2 spots. Though placed 1-6 are seeded and 7-12 are invited, but all of them will get 2 spots automatically.
Very true, but I was speaking of the new method of having the Worlds podium skaters divvied up equally among the events. So each skater who was not on the podium at last year's Worlds will face at least one skater who was.

When you think of it, who would want to face Mao and YuNa in the same comp?

Joe

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
See this thread for Grand Prix selection info: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22295

Can we keep this thread on topic for Champs Camp please? Thanks. :)

So when did they start doing these Champs Camps? I've never heard of them doing this in the past. It's reminiscent of what Marta Karolyi has done with women's gymnastics in the US. Now the US is toe-to-toe with China and Romania in gymnastics. perhaps this could help motivate US skaters--especially our former world champ in ladies.

merrybari

Final Flight
So when did they start doing these Champs Camps? I've never heard of them doing this in the past. It's reminiscent of what Marta Karolyi has done with women's gymnastics in the US. Now the US is toe-to-toe with China and Romania in gymnastics. perhaps this could help motivate US skaters--especially our former world champ in ladies.

Last year was the first Champs Camp.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
So when did they start doing these Champs Camps? I've never heard of them doing this in the past.
As merrybari mentioned, this is the second 'Champs Camp' (last year was the first using this name), but there have been similar events held in past years for Team A and B envelope skaters, such as an 'Athlete Summit' in Chicago back in June 2004.

The purpose of Champs Camp is to prepare elite U.S. athletes and coaches for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games,... improve communication skills...clarify U.S. Figure Skating policies...give media training...highlight the organization's marketing efforts.
:laugh: It seems pretty clear what this is all about. They want to make sure all the potential Olympic skaters know how to say the right things in television and newspaper interviews.

We don't want any Bode Millers making USFS look bad. :cool:

Edited to add: Or Johnny Weirs wearing CCCP jackets. ;)

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Caroline's hair sure got long. I remember last year posters were complaining about her peace sign.

lmarie086

Medalist
More pictures are up. And may I just say, Brent Bommentre and Charlie White are looking pretty good.
And yeah I was surprised how long Caroline's hair has gotten. She looks a little older too.