USA & Other Countries JGP Nominees announced | Golden Skate

USA & Other Countries JGP Nominees announced

EWalker

On the Ice
INITIAL U.S. ATHLETES ANNOUNCED FOR 2008 ISU JUNIOR GRAND PRIX OF FIGURE SKATING SERIES

Colorado Springs, Colo. (June 11, 2008) – U.S. Figure Skating has announced the initial athlete selections for the 2008 ISU Junior Grand Prix (JGP) of Figure Skating Series, which will begin Aug. 27-31 in Courchevel, France. The series incorporates eight prestigious international figure skating competitions as a unified point-scoring series that awards prize money to eligible skaters.

The JGP Series consists of the following events:

JGP France, Courchevel , France , Aug. 27-31
JGP Italy, Merano , Italy , Sept. 3-7
JGP Mexico, Mexico City , Mexico , Sept. 10-14
JGP Czech Republic, Ostrava , Czech Republic , Sept. 17-21
JPG Spain, Madrid , Spain , Sept. 24-27
JGP Belarus, Gomel , Belarus , Oct. 1-5
JGP South Africa, Cape Town , South Africa , Oct. 8-12
JGP Great Britain, Sheffield , Great Britain , Oct. 15-18
JGP Final, Seoul , South Korea , Dec. 10-14

The following U.S. athletes have been selected to participate in a JGP event. Official assignments will be named no later than 30 days prior to each competition. This is a preliminary listing of participants and is subject to change.

Ladies

Becky Bereswill
Melissa Bulanhagui
Amanda Dobbs
Alexe Gilles
Angela Maxwell
Kristine Musademba
Brittney Rizo
Marissa Secundy

Men

Richard Dornbush
Andrew Gonzales
Eliot Halverson
Alexander Johnson
Armin Mahbanoozadeh
Keegan Messing
Curran Oi
Daniel O’Shea

Pairs

Kloe Bautista
Galvani Hopson

Brynn Carman
Christopher Knierim

Marissa Castelli
Simon Shnapir

Brittany Chase
Andrew Speroff

Ice Dancing

Sara Bailey
Kyle Herring

Isabella Cannuscio
Ian Lorello

Madison Chock
Greg Zuerlein

Madison Hubbell
Keiffer Hubbell

Maia Shibutani
Alex Shibutani

Rachel Tibbetts
Collin Brubaker

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Here's the link to the USFS press release: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=41564

2008 Nationals level/placements & JGP Final/Jr. Worlds results added below.
* = making JGP debut in 2008-09

Ladies
*Becky Bereswill S10, Melissa Bulanhagui S8, *Amanda Dobbs J5, Alexe Gilles J1/JGPF6, Angela Maxwell J2, Kristine Musademba J4/JGPF4, *Brittney Rizo J3, *Marissa Secundy N1

Men
Richard Dornbush J4, *Andrew Gonzales J3, Eliot Halverson S13, Alexander Johnson J7, Armin Mahbanoozadeh J8/JGPF3, Keegan Messing J5, Curran Oi J6, *Daniel O'Shea N1

Pairs
*Kloe Bautista & Galvani Hopson N4, *Brynn Carman & Christopher Knierim N1, Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir N3, *Brittany Chase & Andrew Speroff N2

Ice Dancing
Sara Bailey & Kyle Herring J7, Isabella Cannuscio & Ian Lorello J9, Madison Chock & Greg Zuerlein J3/JGPF5, Madison Hubbell & Keiffer Hubbell J1/JW5, *Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani J4, Rachel Tibbetts & Collin Brubaker J10

Interesting The Hubbles are remaining Junior. I also think the US will come up with lots of medals in Jr. GPs and the Jr. Worlds.

Joe

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It is exciting to see Maia & Alex Shibutani finally arrive on the Junior Grand Prix competitors list. I will be watching this dance duo closely this coming season. Best wishes for a successful start to their competitive career.

:clap:

lmarie086

Medalist
I'm not that surprised to see the Hubbells staying in Juniors. They only competed twice this past season, so I think they could use one last season on the Junior circuit. Along with that, I'm hoping they'll keep their FD (I loved it) but compete at Senior Nationals.
And I can't wait to see the Shibutanis. I love them already.

I'm looking forward to Marissa Secundy. I think she will be special some day.

All the Men look about even although I wonder what they will think of Keegan Messing.

Carman and Knieran will be special some day.

The Hubbels should walk away with the GPs. I'd like to see Rocky's brother, Collin Brubaker make a splash with his partner, Rachel Tibbetts.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Hubbells won't be a shoo-in, as they will have Riazanova/Guerreiro to contend with; I expect R/G will be formidable competitors this season. They finished right behind the Hubbells at JW, only 4.18 back. Ukrainians Agafonova/Dun, Canadians Ralph/Hill and Americans Chock/Zuerlein should also be strong JGP contenders.

The Hubbells won't be a shoo-in, as they will have Riazanova/Guerreiro to contend with; I expect R/G will be formidable competitors this season. They finished right behind the Hubbells at JW, only 4.18 back. Ukrainians Agafonova/Dun, Canadians Ralph/Hill and Americans Chock/Zuerlein should also be strong JGP contenders.
That will make the event all that more interesting. But I have a soft sport for the Hubbells.

Joe

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Are Crone/Poirier staying in juniors? If so, they will be hard to beat in dance. He'll be 17 & she'll be 18, so they will be age eligible.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure that Crone/Poirier are moving up to Sr. this year. I'm sure I read that somewhere, but I'm not 100% sure. He will be competing on the JGP in singles thought as long as Canada names him as a candiate, and I don't see them not.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Crone/Poirier received 2 Senior Grand Prix assignments today so they definitely will not be on the JGP this fall. Only pair teams are allowed to do both the JGP and GP in the same season.

3 Russian pair teams -- Krasilnikova/Bezmaternikh (2008 Jr. World gold medalists), Iliushechkina/Maisuradze (silver medalists), Sheremetieva/Kuznetsov (4th place) -- plus Estonia's Sergejeva/Glebov (6th), China's Zhang/Wang (7th) and Canada's Velenosi/Fernandez (9th) all have received one Sr. GP assignment apiece and are still age-eligible, under the current ISU rule, to compete on the JGP as well.

Anyone know, who is going to Capetown? I used to work down there some years ago. It is some heluva trip. I pity the skaters who should plan additional days before practice begins.

Joe

lcd

Match Penalty
Once again, the US team overall looks very strong.

In pairs, I wonder if Carmen/Knierman will attempt their quad twist - last team to pull that off in Junior ... the Zhang's when they won Junior Worlds. She has admitted they can do it now that she is still small, so would seem the window of opportunity is there for them to make their mark. (Recall the first quad jump from an American was Timothy Goebel at a Junior Grand Prix event!)

Dance seems to have the usual up and out with aging and a nice balance of veterans and newcomers for the US. Hubbells have a terrific shot this year - there's to lose one would think, assuming they are healthy. I'm really excited for the Shibutani's to finally be seen by the rest of the world. They'll be such a breath of fresh air, so young, yet so mature in their skating. The US version of Virtue and Moir, who obvious (still incredibly young) came on strong from an early age and were thought of as "tiny".

Seems particularly good opportunity in ladies - with the US trio of leading ladies (Mira, Rachael, Caroline) off to kick some butt in seniors. Will be keen to compare how depth compares - US vs. say Japan in Junior ladies. Marissa Secundy certainly proved that has the requisite jump vocabulary (triple lutz) to succeed.

In terms of South Africa... I think it is so fantastic that the ISU chose Cape Town to host an event... but,... what a trip. Not just distance and time, but obviously $$$. Wouldn't be surprised if the rosters were on the lean side, unfortunately, given the impact hosting a full team to such an event will have for some federations.

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
In terms of South Africa... I think it is so fantastic that the ISU chose Cape Town to host an event... but,... what a trip. Not just distance and time, but obviously $$$. Wouldn't be surprised if the rosters were on the lean side, unfortunately, given the impact hosting a full team to such an event will have for some federations.

We will have to hope for the best. I already know of 2 german ladies that want to skate their and it looks like the German Fed will let them go. But since I promised them I wouldn't say their names, I will just say they are both really good and excited to go ;)

Italy has announced its entries for JGP # 1 and 2 :rock:

JGP # 1
Ladies
Stefania Berton
Substitute: - Francesca Rio, Deborah Sacchi, Alice Velati

Men
Maurizio Zandron
Substitute: - Saverio Giacomelli, Luca Dematté

JGP # 2
Ladies:
Alice Garlisi
Francesca Rio
Roberta Rodeghiero

(substitutes: Stefania Berton, Elena Vanz, Alice Velati)

Men:
Luca Demattè
Ruben Errampalli
Saverio Giacomelli

(substitute: Maurizio Zandron)

Dance:
Lorenza Alessandrini-Simone Vaturi
Carola Picotto-Federico Leschiutta
Martina Montonati-Francesco Fioretti

(substitutes: Sofia Sforza-Daniel Ferrari, Giulia Sangiovanni-Andrea Fabbri)

http://www.fisg.it/news.asp?ID=2951&cartella=12

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
I hope the ISU puts out a grid on this as they do for the Sr.GP.

The pages are already there, but still come up with not available yet. Closing date for courchevel is the 25th so I would expect the first lists to be up around the 30th/31st.

I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER :agree:

The pages are already there, but still come up with not available yet. Closing date for courchevel is the 25th so I would expect the first lists to be up around the 30th/31st.

I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER :agree:
I know what you mean, but as much as I enjoy reading the snippits about various countries, I need the ISU grid so I can see how many young ladies and gentlemen are in the stables of their countries.

Does the US have another Rippon?
Does Russia have another Boroludin?
Does Japan have other Ladies besides seniors?
Can Korea go beyond YuNa?
Will Canada come forth in its Ladies?

There is much to get excited about JGP.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Wonder where Maia and Alex Shibutani will go, hope some place/ event that will get televised. I think they are very talented and polished for their age, and I'd love to see their new original and free.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Interesting The Hubbles are remaining Junior. I also think the US will come up with lots of medals in Jr. GPs and the Jr. Worlds.

Joe

Well, we're pretty much guaranteed gold in the ladies' event at Junior Worlds. Between Caroline, Mirai and Rachael, at least one of them is going back. :cry: