Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why no skating events in Philadelphia???

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico

Why no skating events in Philadelphia???

Ok so yesterday I went for my volunteer orientation for the olympic trials for gymnastics. It was run by the Philadelphia sports congress. So you are wondering what this has to do with figure skating.

Well........I figured that I was there I would ask the congress why there have not been any events in figure skating in Philadelphia in a long time since 1996 to be exact. (actually I would just like to see anything on the east coast and figured I could put the bug in someone's ear).

I was told that Philly has looked at bids for skating events (including events in 2009 and 2010) and the problem has been that all the major skating events take place during the hockey season and it's very hard to ask the hockey team (the Flyers) to vacate their ice for as long a period of time as a skating event needs since they will need to use the ice at the Wachovia Center. As as for those of you who live in this area...yes there is the Spectrum which is a smaller arena and does have ice....remember in a few years they are tearing it down.

So this got me thinking.....maybe this is why there aren't a great deal of events on the east coast anymore...many of the arenas here as used for hockey and there isn't a seperate arena with ice just hanging around.

So I told the people there that they should try for Skate America type of event since it's only a weekend.

I did my best to get something on the East Coast. Just wanted to let you all know.

...and a bag of chips
    Isn't the Liberty Summer Competition held every year in the Philadelphia area?
    http://www.libertyskating.org/LibertySummer.html

Rinkside
    IIRC, 1998 U.S. Nationals were in Philadelphia. I love Philly so I wish more events were held there.

It's a bit unrelated, but I don't like that all of the Grand Prix events are in capital cities except Skate America. Why can't a major U.S. city host Skate America for once?

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by all that View Post
    Isn't the Liberty Summer Competition held every year in the Philadelphia area?
    http://www.libertyskating.org/LibertySummer.html
    Yes they are but I was talking about events like Skate America, Nationals, Worlds and things on that level!!!

Custom Title
    2007 Liberty featured eventual (2008) national champions, medalists and competitors at the senior, junior, novice levels (and below). And it's free!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyFumblings View Post
    IIRC, 1998 U.S. Nationals were in Philadelphia. I love Philly so I wish more events were held there.

It's a bit unrelated, but I don't like that all of the Grand Prix events are in capital cities except Skate America. Why can't a major U.S. city host Skate America for once?
    I think the last time nationals was in Philly was 1998 - Kwan skated everyone to tears that year as I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    2007 Liberty featured eventual (2008) national champions, medalists and competitors at the senior, junior, novice levels (and below). And it's free!
    Sylvia - Any news of Liberty this Summer? That's not too far for me to travel.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Sylvia - Any news of Liberty this Summer? That's not too far for me to travel.
    It's still early but I've posted some preliminary U.S. summer club comp. info, including for Liberty (July 15-19 in Aston, PA), over at FSU if you'd like to take a look: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59394

We were very fortunate to have (and attend) Nationals in Philly in 1998. Same is true for a number of the shows that came here (Skaters' Tribute to Broadway 10/98, Improv-Ice 12/00, Scott Hamilton & Friends on Ice 10/02, Country on Ice 11/06). I guess they're also trying to spread the events around to other cities & parts of the country.

...and a bag of chips
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes -- last year, I believe Patrick Chan, Adam Rippon, McLaughlin & Brubaker, Rachel Flatt, and Jeremy Abbott all attended. Along with many others who I can't name off the top of my head right now.

ETA: http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=39093
    Last edited by all that; 06-13-2008 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks Sylvia - I'm checking with eurterpe for a hotel. I would want one walking distance to the arena. If you know of any, please advise. thanks.

Joe

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Joe, I've been to Liberty several times, and it was very enjoyable--however,a walking distance hotel is difficult.

Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine
    400 Evergreen Dr.
    Glen Mills, PA 19342
    (888) 299-2208

It's about a mile away.

And chances are, all the rooms are taken by now, because there are a huge number of skaters competing at all levels including prejuvenile. Three rinks are going all the time.

On the plus side, the food at the facility is good for rink food and reasonably priced. And there was little or no charge to attend, other than to buy a program.

I believe here have been some ice shows in Atlantic City, instead of Philadelphia.

If anything, there's a move away from major cities to help with expenses. There used to be more shows at Madison Square Garden (i.e. SOI). SOI hasn't appeared at MSG in years - NYC had to choose between Hartford, CT, NassauColliseum, Philly and Trenton for the last few years. This past year, Newark, NJ was added, which is a bit more accessible for NYC residents who don't have cars.

I used to go to the MSG shows because it was more convenient for other friends to attend in NYC - they couldn't make it to Trenton mid-week.

^^^

I don't know about the moves away from big cities, but the expenses are high
    To rent Madison Square Garden even for 3 days/night, will cost a fortune. Yet in NYC, the Garden will fill up each time. So the cost of the full house could be paid by the fans if they are willing to shell out big bucks.

Joe

Rinkside
    Last year's Skate America was in Reading, PA, which is just an hour or so north of Philly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast