Why no skating events in Philadelphia??? | Golden Skate

Why no skating events in Philadelphia???

sillylionlove

Medalist
Ok so yesterday I went for my volunteer orientation for the olympic trials for gymnastics. It was run by the Philadelphia sports congress. So you are wondering what this has to do with figure skating.

Well........I figured that I was there I would ask the congress why there have not been any events in figure skating in Philadelphia in a long time since 1996 to be exact. (actually I would just like to see anything on the east coast and figured I could put the bug in someone's ear).

I was told that Philly has looked at bids for skating events (including events in 2009 and 2010) and the problem has been that all the major skating events take place during the hockey season and it's very hard to ask the hockey team (the Flyers) to vacate their ice for as long a period of time as a skating event needs since they will need to use the ice at the Wachovia Center. As as for those of you who live in this area...yes there is the Spectrum which is a smaller arena and does have ice....remember in a few years they are tearing it down.

So this got me thinking.....maybe this is why there aren't a great deal of events on the east coast anymore...many of the arenas here as used for hockey and there isn't a seperate arena with ice just hanging around.

So I told the people there that they should try for Skate America type of event since it's only a weekend.

I did my best to get something on the East Coast. Just wanted to let you all know.

StickyFumblings

Rinkside
IIRC, 1998 U.S. Nationals were in Philadelphia. I love Philly so I wish more events were held there.

It's a bit unrelated, but I don't like that all of the Grand Prix events are in capital cities except Skate America. Why can't a major U.S. city host Skate America for once?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
2007 Liberty featured eventual (2008) national champions, medalists and competitors at the senior, junior, novice levels (and below). And it's free! :)

emma

Record Breaker
IIRC, 1998 U.S. Nationals were in Philadelphia. I love Philly so I wish more events were held there.

It's a bit unrelated, but I don't like that all of the Grand Prix events are in capital cities except Skate America. Why can't a major U.S. city host Skate America for once?

I think the last time nationals was in Philly was 1998 - Kwan skated everyone to tears that year as I remember.

2007 Liberty featured eventual (2008) national champions, medalists and competitors at the senior, junior, novice levels (and below). And it's free! :)
Sylvia - Any news of Liberty this Summer? That's not too far for me to travel.

Joe

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We were very fortunate to have (and attend) Nationals in Philly in 1998. Same is true for a number of the shows that came here (Skaters' Tribute to Broadway 10/98, Improv-Ice 12/00, Scott Hamilton & Friends on Ice 10/02, Country on Ice 11/06). I guess they're also trying to spread the events around to other cities & parts of the country.

all that

Final Flight

Yes -- last year, I believe Patrick Chan, Adam Rippon, McLaughlin & Brubaker, Rachel Flatt, and Jeremy Abbott all attended. Along with many others who I can't name off the top of my head right now.

ETA: http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=39093

Last edited:
Thanks Sylvia - I'm checking with eurterpe for a hotel. I would want one walking distance to the arena. If you know of any, please advise. thanks.

Joe

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Joe, I've been to Liberty several times, and it was very enjoyable--however,a walking distance hotel is difficult.

Staybridge Suites Wilmington - Brandywine
400 Evergreen Dr.
Glen Mills, PA 19342
(888) 299-2208

It's about a mile away.

And chances are, all the rooms are taken by now, because there are a huge number of skaters competing at all levels including prejuvenile. Three rinks are going all the time.

On the plus side, the food at the facility is good for rink food and reasonably priced. And there was little or no charge to attend, other than to buy a program.

heyang

Record Breaker
I believe here have been some ice shows in Atlantic City, instead of Philadelphia.

If anything, there's a move away from major cities to help with expenses. There used to be more shows at Madison Square Garden (i.e. SOI). SOI hasn't appeared at MSG in years - NYC had to choose between Hartford, CT, NassauColliseum, Philly and Trenton for the last few years. This past year, Newark, NJ was added, which is a bit more accessible for NYC residents who don't have cars.

I used to go to the MSG shows because it was more convenient for other friends to attend in NYC - they couldn't make it to Trenton mid-week.

^^^

I don't know about the moves away from big cities, but the expenses are high
To rent Madison Square Garden even for 3 days/night, will cost a fortune. Yet in NYC, the Garden will fill up each time. So the cost of the full house could be paid by the fans if they are willing to shell out big bucks.

Joe

studek

Rinkside
Last year's Skate America was in Reading, PA, which is just an hour or so north of Philly.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Last year's Skate America was in Reading, PA, which is just an hour or so north of Philly.

Yes Reading is pretty close to Philadelphia but Reading wasn't the most organized Skate America.....as for those of you waiting outside in the mornings for them to let you in after the practice session started...would probably agree. Plus it's not exactly a vacation destination.

As for Skate America in Atlantic City. It probably would have been very well attended had it been in the summer and the beaches were open. But lets face it Atlantic City is not exactly a place your bring the kids to and stay.

I know that the one reason that Everett keeps getting awards events is because of the publicity and fan turn out that they have. Well if anyone has been to Philly lately and saw all the publicity that they are doing for the Olympic Trials, well if they could do this for figure skating, I think the fans would come out in droves. Plus, Philly has so much to offer. I guess I am just being selfish since I would love to see a major international event (not a skating show or nationals) here in Philly.

So that's my random thought for the day.

Last edited:

Linny

Final Flight
Prefer Reading

Since I travel every day to Philadelphia to work, I prefer not to schlep all the way back to the city on a weekend - whether it's for figure skating or anything else.

So I prefer Reading. I attend concerts and other events there pretty regularly.

Skate America was, indeed, disorganized. You'd have thought that they'd have figured out how to run it, being as it was the second Skate America held in very few years. But, alas, if we don't learn from history, we are doomed to repeat our mistakes.

I still had a wonderful time. Diaske brought down the house in his short program. That was the highlight for me.

And Reading was walkable - so we could spend the day there and walk for food and other attractions. We didn't stay there, but if we had, the hotel was in walking distance, too.

So me, I'd rather see skating (and other events) in Reading. I spend enough time in Philadelphia as it is... give me the smaller town atmosphere any day.

Linny

Let's face it. The big cities are accessible without driving and they are not getting the non drivers' crowd.

The faithful I know from the East, are all going to Ottawa which is a hop in the Air, and a city which may have much to offer for an extended stay.

I believe most of the fans who enjoy the 'heat' in the cold arenas will be looking elsewhere to watch the SA. I'm still waiting for news from IceNetwork.

Joe

studek

Rinkside
Yes Reading is pretty close to Philadelphia but Reading wasn't the most organized Skate America.....as for those of you waiting outside in the mornings for them to let you in after the practice session started...would probably agree. Plus it's not exactly a vacation destination.

Aww what, haven't been looking forward to a big trip to Reading since you were 3???? ;) :p

I spent two summers there and that was moooore than enough for me... (no offense to anyone from/around Reading on these boards)

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Yeah, anyone from Philly shouldn't be complaining since Reading is so close. Heck you could drive there and back every day and not spend money on a hotel, so same difference mostly.