Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Kawaguchi/Smirnov

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Other: Comment in Thread

Votes: 9 7.9%

• Total voters

JewelInTheSun

Rinkside
Which pair do you think will win the 2010 Olympic Winter Games?

I would say Aljona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy!! ...

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I am going to say "Savchenko & Szolkowy", though of course it is much too soon to tell. I thing they have a better chance in 2010 than either of the Chinese teams because they do to tend to be more original and do continue to improve (somewhat). Also, if last Worlds is any indication, the judges seem to think the Germans' time has come. In theory, either Dube & Davison or Kawaguchi & Smirnov could also have a shot, but it's even harder to tell. Both teams need a lot of improving still, and I just don't think this will happen by 2010. It's rather like the Goldilocks - P&T and Z&Z have peaked, D&D and K&S aren't yet ready, and S&S are just right for Vancouver.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I voted for Savchenko/Szolkowy.

Dee

saltypig

Rinkside
I am hoping for Shen / Zhao to come back and win the gold in 2010 that they could have won in 2006 had Zhao not been injured.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Are Kawaguchi & Smirnov even eligible to compete at the Olympics? I thought that they were still working out their citizenship thing?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Are Kawaguchi & Smirnov even eligible to compete at the Olympics? I thought that they were still working out their citizenship thing?
Yuka has said that she will indeed give up her Japanese citizenship if she and Smirnov can realistically compete for medals at the Olympics. I think last Worlds showed that indeed they can.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I intially voted for S&S, but for some reason, I've got a growing feeling it's going to be P&T, I don't know why. maybe it's because S&S are so fragile.

Muse

Rinkside
I voted D/D although I realize the odds against them. Inspite of the fact they don't have the jumps the other pairs do, I think they excel well on their other elements, better than the other pairs. Their lifts are more difficult than anyone else's, their spins are better, their overall artistry reminds me of the way skaters use to skate their free programs before the new scoring system, and their triple twist has improved. I enjoyed watching them this year increase their difficulty by adding more difficult elements, such as this year with the triple twist and throw triple lutz. Jessica can land the throw triple lutz when Bryce throws her straight instead of tilted. Who knows - if they end this season doing those new elements well, they could move on to working on their combo jumps.

P/T could win but they would have to stay error-free. In the GPF, they did the same side by side jumps as D/D (double axel-double axel), and they had throw salchow and throw loops where D/D has their throw triple lutz. P/T did have 3 toe loops to D/D's 3 salchow jumps but D/D has more difficult lifts. I think these are the two pairs that will end up battling it out for a certain position.

Z/Z, S/S, and K/S could beat them both if they all stay clean but I think to beat D/D and P/T they would have to nail their jumps. Z/Z could land their double axel/3 toe loop well, though not exactly in sync. S/S could land their 3TT/3TT jumps well also but again, not in sync and Robin I think usually has the more quirky landings. With K/S, it's usually Smirnov who either lands their jumps or else doubles them. And Yuka either nails her quad throw or else two-foots it. Z/Z and S/S both have Olympic experience though so I'd give it to either Z/Z and S/S to be able to beat K/S.

K/S I think are the wild cards though. They will either fall somewhere ahead, behind, or between P/T and D/D. But as what happend in the 2008 Worlds, to beat D/D they would have to have clean jumps. If Smirnov doubles his jumps again, I think P/T and D/D can move ahead.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
I voted D/D although I realize the odds against them. Inspite of the fact they don't have the jumps the other pairs do, I think they excel well on their other elements, better than the other pairs. Their lifts are more difficult than anyone else's, their spins are better, their overall artistry reminds me of the way skaters use to skate their free programs before the new scoring system, and their triple twist has improved. I enjoyed watching them this year increase their difficulty by adding more difficult elements, such as this year with the triple twist and throw triple lutz. Jessica can land the throw triple lutz when Bryce throws her straight instead of tilted. Who knows - if they end this season doing those new elements well, they could move on to working on their combo jumps.

That is so relative, IMO. I find their "connection" vastly overrated, and their programs this season are snooze-worthy. I don't think that D/D are the best in any of these areas. I think that Bryce's footwork in the lifts is a bit weak. IMO, Volosozhar/Morozov, Savchenko/Szolkowy & McLaughlin/Brubaker are all teams with better lifts. S/S & V/M both have straighter and bigger throws with good technique.They have a hard time handling complex choreography - their SP has no transitions whatsoever. They have good spins, but I think Mukhortova/Trankov have the best spins in the field right now. I do admit that they have improved with the throw lutz and the triple twist, but their SBS salchows are really inconsistent. If anything, they have an advantage because they're in home ice, but they're a team that needs to be clean to be competitive, and rely on other's mistakes.

lcd

Match Penalty
To me, Shen/Zhao are like the Michele Kwan and Kurt Browning of pairs from an Olympics standpoint. Best and most deserving of Olympic glory, but never to have it. Bin Yao has done so much for pair skating, it would be magical if one of his teams could finally bring home the ultimate prize, though I'll say that if the Germans skate their best, they would be my logical pick.

Wicked

Final Flight
I thought I read that K&S had worked out the citizenship issue. I've recently seen Yuka referred to as "Kavaguti." Has she officially changed her name or is there some other reason for this?